Soul Devourer Chapter 7 Episode 58 — When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do

The next day.

I woke up leisurely sometime after 10 AM, quickly took a shower, washed my face, brushed my teeth, changed clothes, and contacted Oliver.

I got into the car parked in front of my house and headed to the Hunter Guild Headquarters.

I passed through reception, took the elevator, and went to the Guildmaster's office on the top floor.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

I knocked on the door, received permission from the person inside, and entered.


“Good morning, Hunter Matsubara.”


The Guildmaster greeted me with a pleasant smile.


“Good morning, Guildmaster. I'm sorry for coming so suddenly, but there's something I'd like to ask you.”


“What is it?”


“Where is Rex right now?”


“…Do you have some business with Rex?”


“Yes. You aren't unrelated to this either, Guildmaster.”


“What do you mean?”


“It's about〈Violence Ruler〉. I've heard it's a massive organization with many upper-tier Hunters among its ranks, but their actions have gone too far. I'd like to have a talk with the organization's Boss, Rex… and warn him.”


“I see. But, Hunter Matsubara, this is America. Your way of thinking is the unusual one here. So I'd ask you to stop imposing those values on us.”


Indeed, given that we had been born and raised in different countries, I couldn't argue if he said that my way of thinking wasn't the norm.

But it was also an undeniable fact that there were people suffering in pain and agony, just like the victims I had seen at the base.


“…Hunters are supposed to protect the people from the threat of monsters and bring back dungeon resources to enrich their lives. Using the power and skills we acquired for that purpose against the very people we're supposed to protect is wrong.”


“Haa… Don't make me repeat myself, Hunter Matsubara. That's your way of thinking, and we have no reason to accept it when you try to impose it on us.”


As expected, our fundamental values were simply too different. There was no way I could persuade him with words.

And that was precisely why…


『When in Rome, do as the Romans do.』


I would change the situation through strength, just as they do in America.


“Guildmaster.”


“What is it?”


“Can I assume that Rex shares the same opinion you just expressed?”


“Yes.”


“…I understand.”


The moment I received his answer, I moved.

Using【Warp】, integrated into【Axiom】, I instantly closed the distance and grabbed the Guildmaster's neck with one hand.


“Guh… ah…!”


“Hunter Matsubara!”


Oliver, who had been waiting near the entrance, tried to rush over, but I stopped him with one hand.


“I've given up on persuading you with words. So, I'll get the information by force, just like they do in America. Where is Rex? Answer quickly, or I'll snap your neck.”


“Guuugh… I-I understand… I'll c-call Rex.”


I released his neck, and the Guildmaster immediately grabbed his phone and waited for the call to connect while catching his ragged breath.


“Ah, Rex! Sorry for calling so suddenly, but Hunter Matsubara wants to meet you in person. Could you come to the Guild Headquarters right away!?”


He rattled off his words in quick succession, then fell silent and listened to what Rex had to say.


“…Yeah, I understand. I'll tell Hunter Matsubara that.”


He hung up and turned his gaze back toward me.


“Hunter Matsubara… I'm sorry, but it seems difficult for him to come right away.
…
Also, Rex has summoned you, saying, ‘I have something to discuss with you. Come here.’ So, here's my proposal… I'll inform Rex about this matter and arrange a time to meet… would that be acceptable?”


“There is a possibility that you'll flee to Rex's side, isn't there?”


“Th-That…”


“So, I want you to take a Soul's Oath with me.”


“A Soul's Oath…?”


“First, you must make sure I meet Rex. Second, the pact must be fulfilled today or tomorrow. Third, you must not run away. Understood?”


“…I understand.”


“Then, let us swear our Soul's Oath…

『Clause I: Johnson must ensure that Matsubara Yuito meets Rex.』

『Clause II: The fulfillment of the Oath shall be within today or tomorrow at most.』

『Clause III: Johnson must not flee.』

These shall constitute the Soul's Oath.”


When the oath was complete, my left chest and the Guildmaster's left chest began to glow faintly, and the Soul's Oath was engraved into our souls.


“Then I'll be going. Could you have Oliver contact me as soon as the arrangements are ready?”


“Ah… understood.”


“But, Guildmaster!”


“Oliver. Accompany Hunter Matsubara. That's an order.”


“…Understood.”


I left the office.

Behind me, Johnson directed a gaze filled with quiet anger and naked malice at my back.


—————————
—————————

—————————————
E/N:

Showing all that malice… for what? Isn't it the consequence of your foolish actions, Mr. Johnson?

Stay tuned!

—————————————

————————————————————
————————————————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing