Soul Devourer Chapter 7 Episode 42 — A Quiet Conclusion Within The Dense Mist
Even with us, the challengers, standing before him, Shuten-dōji remained seated on the stone steps, resting his elbow on his knee as he continued to boldly gulp down sake from his cup.
That composure only made him all the more unsettling.
(E/N: -or fricking stupid, can't tell with these dungeon creatures.)
To observe Shuten-dōji's fighting style, I ordered Samael and the others to launch an offensive.
“All right! Samael, Tamuel, Nox, Carmilla. Attack however you like. I'll stay back and provide support.”
The moment I gave the order, Tamuel made the first move.
He activated【Fire Magic】and【Fire Magic Enhancement】.
A magic circle appeared beneath Shuten-dōji's feet, and in the next instant, a towering pillar of blazing fire engulfed him.
However, the outcome was exactly as expected.
Possessing【Spellbane】, Shuten-dōji casually swept the pillar of fire aside with his mighty arm and emerged completely unharmed.
Still, it had succeeded in drawing his attention.
His eyes, filled with murderous intent, locked directly onto us.
Setting down his sake cup, he swung the massive jet-black kanabō that was as tall as he was and charged forward.
(E/N: Kanabō is a bludgeoning weapon similar to a cudgel but with equally spaced, small spikes opposite to the handle. Bō in Kanabō means Staff. Just check out the Wiki link!)
Shuten-dōji's target was...
Santa Muerte.
Stepping into his path, Nox Chevalier intercepted him.
GRAAAAAAH!
With a thunderous【Roar】, Shuten-dōji leaped high into the air.
His raised kanabō came crashing down.
Nox raised his great shield overhead and caught the descending blow that fell like a meteor.
BOOOOOOM!
The shockwave swept across the earth with such force that the surrounding trees bent backward.
Enraged that his attack had been stopped, Shuten-dōji relentlessly continued hammering away with his kanabō.
Nox Chevalier was fully occupied defending himself and had no opportunity to counterattack.
But this wasn't a one-on-one duel.
Samael circled behind Shuten-dōji and drove his fangs toward the back of his neck.
However,【Inviolable】blocked the attack.
His skin didn't budge in the slightest, and the fangs failed to pierce it.
Sensing Samael's presence behind him, Shuten-dōji immediately switched targets from Nox and smashed Samael with his kanabō.
The enormous centipede's body was sent violently reeling backward.
Not missing the opening, Nox and Carmilla closed in beneath Shuten-dōji's feet, swinging《Lævateinn》and《Sköfnung》.
Deep gashes were carved into Shuten-dōji's calves.
The wound inflicted by Carmilla was prevented from healing by its healing inhibition effect, while the wound left by Nox continued to burn with inextinguishable flames.
Carmilla then activated【Cruor Dominion】, creating Blood Soldiers.
GRAAAAAAH!
Shuten-dōji let out another mighty roar and swung his kanabō in a wide arc.
Nox and Carmilla leaped backward just in time, barely avoiding the attack.
【Instant Regeneration】failed to activate, leaving his wounds open, while the flames clinging to his legs showed no sign of going out.
Perhaps realizing that his very existence was being threatened, Shuten-dōji violently stomped his feet.
The entire field shook violently.
After rampaging for a while, Shuten-dōji retreated to where he had left his sake cup, picked it up once more, and took another long drink.
Then, in the next moment, he forcefully sprayed the sake from his mouth.
Tilting my head, unable to understand the purpose behind the action...
A dense mist began spreading throughout the surroundings.
In the blink of an eye, it thickened until we couldn't even see one another.
Santa Muerte cast【Wind Magic】in an attempt to disperse the fog.
However, it didn't thin in the slightest.
Since I had【Māyā】active, I could accurately pinpoint Shuten-dōji's location, but Samael and the others were undoubtedly confused by now.
【Mistscape】was an Extra Skill.
Even with Santa Muerte's【Vital Sense】, it was impossible to locate him.
Meanwhile, Shuten-dōji moved silently through the mist and closed in on Samael, who couldn't move.
His kanabō swung upward in a sharp sweeping strike.
A deafening roar that seemed capable of rupturing my eardrums echoed through the battlefield.
“Hmm... that strike was clearly more powerful than before. He activated【Cratos】to finish this in one blow.”
If that was the case, Samael was in danger.
Even the other familiars wouldn't escape unharmed if they took that attack head-on.
“This is as far as this goes.”
Using the power of【Māyā】, I sprinted through the dense mist.
I closed the distance to Shuten-dōji in an instant, drawing the《Fly King's Soul Harvest》from my《Magic Pouch》along the way.
Channeling【Slash Arts】into the blade, I unleashed a single slash at his neck.
His head flew into the air in a spray of blood.
『Extra Skill Acquired【Cratos】』
『Extra Skill Acquired【Tipsy Fog】』
『Extra Skill Acquired【Mistscape】』
『Skill Acquired【Staffmanship】Lv.10 (MAX)』
As Shuten-dōji was defeated, the dense mist blanketing the area gradually dispersed.
I immediately rushed over to Samael.
His normally sturdy carapace had been horribly shattered, and blood poured from countless wounds.
But he was still breathing.
I activated【Axiom】and cast the integrated【Dominion Magic】.
His grievous injuries closed in an instant, and Samael made a complete recovery.
“Well done, Samael.”
I gently stroked his carapace and offered my praise.
“Tamuel, Nox, Carmilla. The three of you did well too.”
~clatter~clatter~clatter~clatter~
~~~~~
“Thank you.”
After praising all of my familiars, I looked around once more.
A massive door had appeared where Shuten-dōji had been sitting.
“Now then... I wonder what kind of Boss is waiting behind that.”
—————————
—————————
—————————————
E/N:
I feel like Yuito's familiars need another upgrade!
Stay tuned!
—————————————
————————————————————
————————————————————
Comments