Soul Devourer Chapter 7 Episode 8 — A False Defection

“Now then, with Hunter Matsubara here, let's move on to the main topic.”


Guildmaster Johnson personally took charge of the meeting.


“We have only one request. Hunter Matsubara, we would like you to come to our country. We promise you exceptional treatment.”


Straight to the point.

My answer had already been decided.

Still, I needed to hear exactly what kind of exceptional treatment he intended to offer.


“...Specifically?”


“For someone who has risen to the ranks of〘Regalia〙, I imagine there is very little you cannot obtain through your own power.”


“Well... that's true.”


“The〘Regalias〙stand at the pinnacle of Hunters. And I, who stand at the top of the organization that grants Hunters their place in society, am also a King.”

(E/N: 狩猟王 (The Hunting King) (furigana: レガリア (Regalia)) contains the kanji, meaning King, and thus, Idiot Johnson calls himself "also a king".)


“...”


“A King is an absolute ruler. One who possesses the power to do as he pleases. If you come to America, you will gain true freedom. You can kill anyone you dislike. You can take any woman you desire. No one will be able to oppose you.”


“...”


“Because a King is merely exercising his rightful power. In this age of dungeons, monsters, and Hunters, the strong devour the weak. Those without power exist only to be ruled.”


“...”


“What do you think? Come to America, and you can become a True King. Not merely one with a title, but a ruler who can command everything. So let me ask you once more... come to our country.”


...What a twisted ideology.

(E/N: Couldn't agree more and idiot didn't even phrase it as a question but a command. Thinks the 13 Warriors can protect him 😂!)

It's true that the reason I sought strength in the first place was simple.

Money.

Fame.

Women.

(E/N: Please don't hate Yuito for this; he's a superhuman, consequently his libido is peerless 😂!)

And the power to never again be crushed by injustice.

To obtain those things, I risked my life hunting monsters, and at times even crossed blades with other Hunters.

But every choice I made was my own responsibility.

I chose my own path, and the result was that I came to be known as a〘Regalia〙.

Johnson had mistaken that for being a ruler, no, a tyrant.

Hunters are specialists in combat.

But governing a nation is something entirely different.

Domestic policy, diplomacy, infrastructure, agriculture, economics...

Society is supported by countless different fields.

A muscle headed fighter who knows nothing about any of them has no right to call himself an absolute king.

It's because ordinary citizens exist that we Hunters are free to devote ourselves to slaying monsters.

Our relationship is one of mutual dependence.

That can never justify acting like an unrestrained tyrant.

Trying to change Johnson's way of thinking would be pointless.

His beliefs had been forged through power.

But if a man like him stood at the top of a nation, it wouldn't be surprising if America eventually set its sights on ruling the entire world.

I had already formed an alliance with Russia.

It would be best to extinguish this spark before it became an inferno.

And above all else...

There had to be ordinary citizens suffering under this ideology.

People whose lives were taken for no reason.

People whose dignity was trampled underfoot.

An unpleasant image churned in the back of my mind.

It wasn't some lofty sense of justice.

Perhaps it was nothing more than self satisfaction.

Even so...

I possessed the power to change the situation.

...Then I'll accept the transfer, at least on the surface, and change things from within.

I also wanted to conquer America's dungeons.

I had more than one objective.

It wouldn't be easy.

But it was worth trying.

I opened my eyes and quietly met Johnson's gaze as he waited for my answer.


“I understand. I'll accept your offer.”


The corners of Johnson's mouth rose slightly as he gave a slow, satisfied nod.


—————————
—————————

——————
E/N:

Buddy's drunk on power so bad, his intelligence took a debuff! That smug face's gonna beg for mercy soon!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing