Soul Devourer Chapter 6 Episode 48 — Magic That Excels in Both Offense and Defense

After disposing off Vlas, who had remained pathetic until his dying breath, I acquired a new Unique Skill.

The timing was perfect.

Before entering the withered forest, I decided to check the details of the Unique Skills obtained from Kiel, Zahaar, and Vlas.


━━━━━━━━━━

Zero PierceOblivion Point

  - Piercing thrusts reflect the skill-holder's “perception”;

 - If the skill-holder believes something can be pierced, it will be pierced; If not, it will not be pierced.


Charge Counter

  - Damage taken by skill-holder's body and armour is accumulated and the stored energy is added to the attack power of their unarmed or weapon strikes.

(E/N: It's like the Panther Habit, the Vibranium-weave mesh suit of T'challa's, amazing!)


Ward Magic

  - A Unique magic that allows creation of a wide variety of magical barriers, such as:

      • «Anti-Material Barrier» (against physical attacks);
 
      • «Anti-Magic Barrier» (against magical attacks), and;

      • «Camouflage Barrier» (for concealment);

  - Magic Power consumption is halved;

  - Durability of the barrier(s) is proportional to skill-holder's Spirit stat.

━━━━━━━━━━


First,【Zero PierceOblivion Point】.

It was a skill of the same type as the Unique Skill possessed by Zhang Junyu of China's〈Kowloon〉,【Zero SeverOblivion Edge】.

The effect wasn't much different, so there was nothing particularly noteworthy about it.

Next,【Charge Counter】.

Only now did it become clear why Zahaar had been able to kill Nox in a single blow.

He had blocked attacks from me as well as Tamuel, with his tower shield, accumulating the damage's energy and converting it into striking power.

It was a double-edged sword, but for turning the tables in a single strike, there could hardly be a better skill.

Lastly,【Ward Magic】.

It seemed to be a defensive magic. Unlike【Nova Magic】or【Void Magic】, the strength of its barriers depended on Spirit stat.

Then why hadn't Vlas protected himself withWard Magicduring either of his attacks on me?

Perhaps because, unlike other magic, it was fixed to a specific location?

I could test that later.

That said, since barrier durability depended on Spirit stat, barriers created with Vlas' stats could probably be shattered by me in one or two hits.

In conclusion, it was troublesome, but not threatening.

…Though barriers created from my Spirit stat would undoubtedly be a serious threat to others.

Well then, checking the Unique Skills was finished.

Time to explore this eerie forest.


♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢


As Poison Samael knocked aside dead trees, I advanced through the withered forest alongside its massive body.


“Hm?”


A single bat came fluttering toward us.

Then, without warning, it transformed into a humanoid figure.

Roughly 180 cm tall.

Long white hair slicked straight back.

(E/N: Lucius Malfoy?! 🤣)

Blood-red eyes glimmered dully in the darkness of the forest.

Its features were handsome, but sharp fangs protruded from the corners of its mouth.

Wearing an elegant attire.

A black cloak with its collar raised.

At first glance, it resembled a refined gentleman.

But considering its transformation ability and the fact that this was a dungeon, I activated【Discernment】.


“So it's a Vampire... and it has quite a few new skills too.”


The corner of my mouth naturally rose.

What kind of skills does it have?

My curiosity was certainly piqued.

Gripping the《Fly King's Soul Harvest》in a reverse grip, I dashed forward.

The Vampire likewise extended sharp claws and charged.

The distance between us vanished in an instant.

The Vampire thrust out the claws of its right hand.

I sliced through the claws with my dagger and, in the same flowing motion, severed the entire arm.

However…

【Instant Regeneration】.

The lost arm regenerated immediately.

Furthermore, the blood splattered onto the ground began writhing, each droplet transforming into a sharp, hardened blood spear.

The countless blood spears launched toward me.

I evaded them with【Void Magic】and teleported behind the Vampire.

I swept my dagger toward its neck, but it instantly transformed into a bat and fluttered away.

The next moment, the blood spears from before came flying at me instead.

I cut them all apart with my dagger, but the bisected blood spears transformed into short spears and multiplied even further.

The swelling swarm of blood spears filled the air as they rushed to pierce my body.

I retreated with【Warp】, narrowly avoiding them.

The Vampire reverted from bat form to humanoid form.

We faced each other once more.

After fighting it for a short time, I understood.

Close-range combat using sharp claws backed by stats equivalent to Level 90.

【Instant Regeneration】, which healed injuries immediately.

【Cruor Dominion】, capable of freely altering the shape of blood.

(E/N: fyi, Cruor is latin for shedded blood and gore, I believe it's perfect for Vampires. Penny for your thoughts, my dear readers?)

Those three were its only truly threatening abilities.

…To be honest, it didn't feel particularly strong.

Which made this a perfect opportunity.

I decided to test【Ward Magic】.

“«Anti-Magic Barrier» • «Bombing» •【Parallel Casting】• «Activate».”


Using【Parallel Casting】to combine【Ward Magic】and【Nova Magic】, I deployed a translucent barrier large enough to cover myself.

From within it, a transparent sphere of magic power shot toward the Vampire.

The sphere reached the Vampire's face…

And exploded-!

A blinding flash and thunderous roar shook the surrounding area.


『Skill Acquired【Mana Leech】Lv.9』

『Skill Acquired【Pseudo Immortality】Lv.9』

『Skill Acquired【Enthrallment】Lv.9』

『Skill Acquired【Cruor Dominion】Lv.9』


The skill acquisition notifications appeared.

In other words, the Vampire had died from that single attack.

Once the smoke cleared, only a massive crater remained.

Not even a trace of the Vampire's corpse was left behind.

Even if it had been for testing purposes, this method would make me unable use of the powers of《Fly King's Soul Harvest》and【Voracity】.

Yeah… I'm never doing that again.

Still, there had been gains.

Magic cast from within the barrier passed straight through it.

With this, magical combat that combined offense and defense simultaneously was possible.

Vlas had been an infuriating bastard to the very end, but he left behind something useful.


“Alright, Samael, Tamuel, Nox. That regeneration ability is troublesome, but let's aim for our usual hundred kills. Keep up with me!”


~squirm~squirm~wriggle~squirm~

~clatter~clatter~clatter~clatter~

~~~~~


—————————
—————————

——————
E/N:

Amazing set of skills! Skill descriptions in next chapter!

Anyway, on a side note, I'm trying to lose weight (I'm over 100kgs, ik I'm really trying, now that my studying era's over) so I get tired after a day of work and excercise. If I'm unable to upload on one day, do forgive me, ORZ!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing