Soul Devourer Chapter 6 Episode 46 — An Oath Engraved Upon the Soul
The Guildmaster finished contacting Ekaterina, the〘Regalia〙, as well as the other members of the〈Semi-Tsar〉.
After returning to the reception sofa, the Guildmaster asked me several questions about my dungeon conquest, and I answered them to pass the time.
Before long, one person after another arrived.
When Ekaterina finally appeared, everyone moved to a large conference room.
Once everyone had taken their seats, the Guildmaster quietly rose to his feet.
After sweeping his gaze across the room, he began speaking in a grave tone.
“This is a serious matter, which is why I have summoned all of you. The issue concerns three members of the〈Semi-Tsar〉, Kiel, Zahaar, and Vlas, who conspired together to assassinate Hunter Matsubara inside a dungeon.
…
As a result, Russia is now required to provide an immediate response to Hunter Matsubara.”
The moment the reason for the gathering was revealed, every gaze in the room converged on Vlas.
At that point, Ekaterina let out a long sigh.
“I understand the situation. Guildmaster, please bring the《Orb of Truthseer》.”
“Understood.”
After receiving the instruction, the Guildmaster left the room.
Judging from the item's name, Ekaterina wasn't simply accepting the Guildmaster's account at face value… or perhaps she wanted definitive proof that it was true.
Given the seriousness of the matter, such caution was understandable.
Before long, the Guildmaster returned carrying a transparent crystal sphere.
After handing it to Vlas, Ekaterina spoke.
“Now then, Vlas. Is it true that you attempted assassination on Hunter Matsubara?”
“...Yes.”
Vlas answered honestly.
The crystal sphere showed no change.
“I see. Then it appears to be true… If he were lying, the crystal would turn completely black. Since there has been no change whatsoever, his affirmation is proof that he is telling the truth.”
A heavy silence descended upon the room.
“Vlas. Japan and Russia are allies. Knowing that, why did you attack Hunter Matsubara? Tell me your reason.”
Through the maggot parasitizing Vlas' body, I issued the command: Answer honestly.
When dealing with the Guildmaster earlier, I had spoken the command aloud, but apparently that wasn't necessary.
“...Because I was jealous of the way he treated Ekaterina-sama as an equal, and also because I was angered by what I perceived as his attitude of looking down on us.”
The crystal sphere remained unchanged.
In other words, his answer was the truth.
“Haa... How pathetic. I thought I understood how prideful you were, but to think you were this foolish... I am deeply disappointed.”
After letting out an exasperated sigh and fixing Vlas with an icy stare, Ekaterina stood and bowed deeply.
“Hunter Matsubara, my subordinate has caused you great offense. I sincerely apologize. By the way, where are Kiel and Zahaar?”
“I killed them. One living witness was enough.”
“I see…… Then let us move on to the main matter. We should discuss compensation for Hunter Matsubara.”
After confirming that everyone present nodded in agreement, Ekaterina turned her gaze toward me.
“Hunter Matsubara, is there anything you would like?”
“Let's see...”
What would constitute appropriate compensation?
For one thing, I wanted access to the Guild's storage vault, though truly useful items were usually carried by the hunters themselves.
I couldn't expect too much from that.
As for other possibilities; I had no intention of settling in Russia, but tax exemptions would be useful. And perhaps I should also use《Soul Covenant Sigil》to prevent a second incident from ever occurring.
(E/N: Please refer last most episode of Volume 5 for information on Soul Covenant Sigil, in case you've forgotten, it's towards the ending part of the page)
“I was attacked by three members of the〈Semi-Tsar〉. I would like one form of compensation per attacker, for a total of three.”
“Understood. However, depending on the request, we may have to decline.”
“First, I would like access to the Hunter's Guild's vault. I'd like to receive one item from it, regardless of grade.”
Ekaterina turned toward the Guildmaster.
“Approved.”
Permission was granted.
“Second, I would like exemptions related to taxation, including taxes deducted from material purchase payments and any taxes that would apply if I were ever to reside in Russia.”
“That will require consultation with the government. Please allow us to place that request on hold for now.”
“Understood. Finally, for the third request, I would like us to form an Oath of Soul.”
“A Oath of Soul...?”
“I will engrave the terms of the oath upon both my soul and yours. Betrayal and false reports will become impossible, and we will also be able to perceive one another's life or death, current location, mental condition, and similar information.”
“...Such a thing is possible?”
“It is.”
“Is that a Unique Skill? Or, perhaps, a Divine Artifact?”
“It's a Divine Artifact.”
“I have no objection to forming a pact of life as compensation. However, it depends on the terms.”
“Of course. There will be three clauses;
…
First, Yuito Matsubara and entirety of the〈Semi-Tsar〉are strictly forbidden from harming one another. This includes family members and friends.
…
Second, Japan and Russia are forbidden from invading one another.
…
Third, in the event of an attack by anyone harbouring murderous intent or ill will, or by a third party, interception is authorised.”
…
What do you think?”
“So the same conditions will be imposed on both sides? In that case, I have no objections.”
The other members of the〈Semi-Tsar〉appeared to have no objections either.
“Then let us begin.《Soul Covenant Sigil》• «Activate».”
『Declaration of Oath of Soul —』
▽
『Clause Ⅰ — Yuito Matsubara and the〈Semi-Tsar〉are strictly forbidden from harming one another. This includes respective family members and friends;』
▽
『Clause Ⅱ — Japan and Russia are forbidden from invading one another;』
▽
『Clause Ⅲ — In the event of an attack by individuals harbouring murderous intent or malice, or by a third party, interception is authorised.』
▽
『These shall be the terms of the Oath.』
When the declaration ended, the left side of everyone's chest emitted a faint glow.
The contents of the Oath had now been engraved upon all of their souls.
—————————
—————————
——————
E/N:
Can any of my readers think of a loophole in the Oath?
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments