Ossan Saikyō Chapter 8 Part 08
The next morning, guided by Miss Sphenia, we headed to Marlo Village's Adventurer's Guild.
It was a small guild, about the same size as the one in Tolson Town, but despite the early hour there were already several adventurer parties present and active.
Given that the area had three dungeons ranging from F-rank to D-rank, that was only natural.
One thing that stood out was the presence of several elven adventurers. Perhaps because this was their homeland or at least near it.
“Oh my~, good morning, Lady Sphenia. It's unusual to see you bringing a party with you.”
The sultry-looking elven receptionist behind the counter greeted her.
Everyone in this village seemed to address Miss Sphenia with an honorific.
Perhaps she had originally been someone of high status.
“Good morning, Mylan. These adventurers are a party from Euron who escorted Apothecary Hofena here. They'll be operating in the area for about a week, so please take care of them.”
“Certainly. If you have any materials to sell, please come to me, um...”
“My name is Soushi, D-rank adventurer. It's a pleasure to meet you.”
“Yes, Soushi-san. Likewise, it's a pleasure.”
Thanks to Miss Sphenia, getting acquainted with the guild staff went smoothly.
That was greatly appreciated.
Now then, the matter of the slave hunters.
According to Miss Sphenia, the village chief had already been informed in detail, and the village wanted the bodies handled here.
Even though bandits were treated the same as monsters, their deaths seemed to be dealt with surprisingly lightly.
“Excuse me. We encountered some bandits on our way here and eliminated them. I've stored the bodies in my【Item Box】, but what would be the proper way to handle them?”
As soon as I said that, the receptionist Mylan glanced toward Miss Sphenia.
She nodded and replied quietly.
“I fought alongside them. They appeared to be slave hunters, likely connected to Mekalinan. There were three ex-adventurers among them.”
“I see... What instructions did the village chief give?”
“The matter is beyond what the village can properly handle, so he instructed us to deliver the information to Euron's guard outpost.
…
However, there are roughly twenty bodies. We'd like to dispose of all but the three fallen adventurers. We already have the village chief's permission.”
“In that case, you may use the monster incineration grounds. One moment, please.”
Mylan headed into the back room and quickly returned.
“I've also received approval from the Guildmaster. Here is your permit.”
“Thank you. Soushi-san, was there anything else?”
Since Miss Sphenia had given me the opportunity, I decided to ask about something that had been bothering me.
“By the way, I have a somewhat unrelated question. Have there been any reports of increased undead activity in this area?”
“Undead? Yes, actually. We've been receiving sightings consistently for about a month now. The numbers aren't large, but we have issued extermination requests.”
“I see... Do these sightings tend to occur in any particular area?”
“Most reports come from the forests west of the village.”
West meant the direction of the mountain pass we'd crossed.
And a month ago certainly sounded suspicious.
It seemed to line up perfectly with the timing of the epidemic.
While I was thinking it over, Miss Sphenia appeared intrigued.
“Is there something concerning you? Undead do appear from time to time.”
“Well... the zombie dog we encountered on the way here brought back some unpleasant memories. And since corpses can spread disease...”
“I understand the connection between epidemics and undead, but all we can really do is deal with them appropriately when they appear. I'm sure the village has been taking precautions.”
“Yes, I'm sure they have. It's just that I've previously seen zombie dogs being created artificially. That's what's bothering me.”
At my words, Miss Sphenia narrowed her eyes.
“Artificially? You mean someone intentionally summoned undead, resulting in an epidemic?”
“I only think it's a possibility. Sorry, it's merely speculation based on limited experience. I have no evidence whatsoever.”
Truthfully, I couldn't shake the feeling that my【Bad Luck】skill was somehow involved in my coming to this village in the first place.
But if I started talking about that now, she'd probably just think I was crazy.
Perhaps if we eventually became party members and spent enough time together, she'd come to understand.
“I see... Still, if you've encountered something like that before, then perhaps it wouldn't be strange for such a thing to exist around here as well.
…
Mylan, if you hear anything unusual regarding undead, please let us know.”
“Understood. I'll keep an eye out.”
With Miss Mylan agreeing, at least the Guild would pay attention to the matter.
For a concern raised by an outsider, that was more than enough.
“Thank you. For now, after disposing of the bodies, we'll head to the dungeon.”
“Which dungeon are you planning to visit today?” (Sphenia)
“The F-rank dungeon. Tomorrow we'll tackle the E-rank one.”
“I understand. I've already cleared every dungeon in this area down to their deepest floors, so accompanying you would serve little purpose.
…
However, when you challenge the D-rank dungeon, please let me know. I'll join you for that.”
“Understood. At this rate, we'll probably reach the D-rank dungeon the day after tomorrow.”
So she intended to evaluate our abilities in the D-rank dungeon.
Since Miss Sphenia was C-rank, the E-rank and F-rank dungeons probably wouldn't contribute to her growth at all.
Miss Sphenia offered to guide us to the incineration grounds, so we headed there first.
——————
E/N:
Listening to your gut feeling is important too!
Anyway, Mylan can be pronounced as Miilan, no confusion there. Also, since Sphenia is still not a party member yet, Ossan refers to her as Miss Sphenia (Sphenia-jou). Just a heads up!
For this series, I'll upload everyday or every other day. The bracket situation is the same as in Soul Devourer series:
«» - for spells
【】- for skills
〈〉- for party names
《》- for special items
『』- for special code words or types of attributes of magic
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments