Ossan Saikyō Chapter 8 Part 09
The incineration grounds were a deep hemispherical pit dug into an open square.
One by one, I pulled the corpses out of my【Item Box】and tossed them into the pit.
Incidentally, it was apparently common sense to strip not only weapons and armor but even clothing from the dead, since everything had value.
From a Japanese perspective, putting items stripped from corpses back into my【Item Box】felt uncomfortable, but at this point there was little reason to dwell on it.
Once all the bodies except those of the ex-adventurers had been thrown in, Sphenia unleashed a series of fire spells and reduced them to ashes in the blink of an eye.
The magic of a C-rank adventurer was terrifyingly powerful.
Still, it was surprising how casually the disposal of bodies was handled, even in a fantasy world.
“If we worried about identifying every bandit, we'd never get anything done,” was Lani's opinion on the matter.
But what if they hadn't actually been bandits...?
Apparently, the mysterious functions of the Adventurer Card could determine whether a slain opponent was truly a criminal.
Knowing there was some hidden system behind it made the treatment a little easier to accept.
In any case, with my【Item Box】significantly lighter, we parted ways with Sphenia and headed straight for the dungeon.
Marlo Village's F-rank dungeon was a giant tree-type dungeon located within the forest.
It was the same type I'd explored in Tolson, and the monsters that appeared there were Killer Bees, Killer Scissors, and Killer Worms, none of which posed any challenge.
The Boss was, unusually enough, just a single normal boss: a Killer Bee Soldier.
One shot from Freynil's «Sacred Ray» ended the fight.
The newly acquired skills were【Charm Resistance】for me,【Steel Body】for Freynil, and【Poison Resistance】for Rani.
There was something oddly suggestive about me, a man, obtaining【Charm Resistance】, though.
Freynil gaining【Steel Body】, which boosted her defense, was a major improvement.
Rani obtaining【Poison Resistance】was also important since she was a frontline fighter who was more likely to take attacks.
The fact that it was apparently effective against epidemics made it even more valuable.
After conquering the dungeon in roughly three hours, we returned to the surface and found a suitable clearing in the forest to perform our usual training routine.
Freynil hadn't detected any undead presence on the way back to the village.
Hopefully my concerns about the matter were simply unfounded.
As we passed through the village gates, Rani stepped in front of me and spoke.
“Hey, Soushi. We've still got some time before dinner. Want to take a look around the elven village?”
“Sure. Since we're here, we might as well. There may even be something worth buying. Fray, you interested?”
“Yes, Soushi-sama. I'm somewhat interested in elven clothing and accessories as well.”
It was unusual to hear such enthusiasm in Freynil's voice.
Come to think of it, she'd bought quite a few clothes before.
Maybe she was interested in fashion-related things.
“Elven clothes are kind of different and interesting, aren't they? The accessories especially look expensive.”
“Yes, I think so too. I've also heard that accessories crafted by elves can possess special powers.”
Hmm.
Maybe they were like game-style accessories that granted stat bonuses.
As we walked along the main street, there were still fewer people than usual due to epidemic precautions, but the shops seemed to be operating normally.
After visiting several stores selling food, clothing, and other necessities, we entered an accessory shop.
“Welcome. ...Could you perhaps be adventurers?”
The speaker was an elven man seated behind a counter at the back.
He appeared to have been working on jewelry and set down his tools before turning toward us.
“Yes. Would it be alright if we had a look around?”
“Of course. Looking for a gift for a young lady? Or perhaps something useful for adventuring?”
“I'm more interested in practical items, personally...”
I answered while glancing at Freynil and Rani.
“As for me... both.”
“Same here!”
“That's our answer.”
The shopkeeper laughed.
“Haha. The ordinary accessories are on the right. The enchanted practical items are on the left. Take your time.”
Then he returned to his work.
As instructed, I moved toward the shelf containing the practical accessories.
Freynil and Rani, being girls their age, immediately started browsing the fashionable accessories on the opposite side together.
The practical shelf contained exactly what one would expect: rings, bracelets, necklaces, anklets, and similar items.
As practical goods, their decorations were minimal, and they didn't appear to be made from precious metals.
Instead, each contained something resembling a crystal.
They looked very much like magical tools... items enhanced through magic.
Beneath each item was a tag listing its effect and price.
『Fire Resistance +1』 {700,000 Rom}
『Physical Enhancement +1』 {1,600,000 Rom}
•
•
•
And so on.
The prices were understandable, but the game-like effect descriptions made them seem suspiciously fake.
“How are those-! Oh, wow, that's expensive!”
Rani peeked over at my shelf and immediately recoiled.
She wasn't wrong.
These prices were still beyond the reach of a newly promoted D-rank party.
“They're expensive, but for higher-ranked adventurers it's normal to wear several at once. If you think of it as paying for your life, they're actually cheap.”
The shopkeeper offered that explanation without looking up from his work.
Well, he wasn't wrong.
If the effects were genuine, you'd naturally want as many as possible.
“Yeah, that's still beyond us for now. Besides, it doesn't really feel like we're lacking anything thanks to our current skills.”
“Maybe once we're earning more and tackling C-rank dungeons.”
I nodded in agreement with Rani's very reasonable assessment and shifted my attention toward the shelf Freynil was examining.
This side was filled with unmistakably decorative accessories, each featuring elaborate designs.
Prices ranged from a few thousand Rom, like something sold at a street stall, to several million Rom for pieces displayed in extravagant cases.
Part of me wondered whether it was really safe to display such expensive items openly, but perhaps crime simply wasn't much of a problem in an elven village.
I called out to Freynil, who was studying the display intently.
“See anything you like?”
“Ah, yes... I suppose this one is rather cute.”
The item she indicated was a pendant decorated with a bird motif.
The price was well within what we could currently afford.
Given that Freynil had once been a high-ranking noble, I would have expected her standards for jewelry to be quite refined.
Maybe she was simply a modest girl by nature.
“Huh. So Fray actually likes cute things? I would've thought you'd be used to much flashier jewelry.”
Rani's lack of restraint remained as consistent as ever.
Freynil, however, simply smiled softly.
“I was never allowed to wear accessories shaped like animals, either at home or at the church. The truth is, I've always liked things like this.”
“Oh? Then becoming an adventurer worked out pretty well for you.”
“Yes, it did. I got to meet Soujui-sama and Rani too.”
It was turning into a rather heartwarming conversation.
When I glanced toward the back, I noticed the shopkeeper watching us with a grin.
His expression seemed to say, “You're buying it for her, right?”
Well, I suppose this was that sort of situation.
“Alright then. I'll buy that pendant for you. Rani, you pick something too.”
“Really!? Is that alright? Thank you very much!”
“Lucky me! I'm picking something expensive!”
This really did feel like a father buying gifts for his daughters at a festival stall.
I never would've imagined doing something like this after ending up in another world...
But maybe it wasn't such a bad feeling after all.
——————
E/N:
I remember I once bought a wooden bookmark with crystal motif and engravings for a senior of mine during a college trip.
Sadly, even though I knew she had a boyfriend at that time (he wasn't with us on the trip), I shoved my feelings for her and gave it to her as a gift of respect and souvenir…
Man, I was such a simp that entire trip… I just wanted to make the trip comfortable for her that's all… Yeah, still, something a simp would definitely do…
Haa…
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments