Ossan Saikyō Chapter 8 Part 07
The inn the village chief's wife guided us to was clean, comfortable, and not overly expensive.
In fact, it seemed she'd put in a good word for us.
For a D-rank party, it was an excellent place to stay.
The only problem was that the only room available was a four-person room.
That meant the two girls would have to put up with sharing a room for a week.
Though, to be fair...
“Being in the same room as Soushi-sama makes me feel safe. Honestly, I'd prefer it this way all the time.”
“We all sleep together in the tent anyway, so I don't really care.”
...that was their reaction.
As long as I exercised some restraint, it would probably be fine.
(E/N: Some? 😂)
Well, Freynil's comment was a little questionable...
“So, are we hitting the dungeon first thing tomorrow? We still need to keep up with training too, right?”
Rani said this while spreading out a change of clothes on her bed.
“Yeah. We'll definitely be here for at least a week, so we'll resume our usual routine. Though first thing in the morning, we should stop by the guild and deal with the slave hunter incident.
…
Also, Fray, have you sensed anything unusual around this village?”
“Eh? No, not particularly... Is there something bothering you?”
“Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that zombie dog we encountered at the pass has been on my mind. I was wondering if there might be another undead outbreak somewhere nearby. Rotting corpses can cause epidemics.”
“I see. You're considering the possibility that it's connected to the disease. Understood. I'll keep an eye out.”
“Do you think there might be another Summoning Monolith like the one you destroyed before?”
“It's possible. If that's the case, things could become even more troublesome.”
The Summoning Monolith we'd discovered during the extermination mission had clearly been placed there by someone.
If there was another one near this village, then it would mean that whoever had set up the first one might still be operating behind the scenes.
“Undead aren't too bad since we've got Fray, but zombies are a pain. The smell alone is enough to make my nose fall off.”
Saying that, Rani flopped onto her bed.
For someone with her keen sense of smell, zombies really were a terrible opponent.
Given how much my own sensory skills had improved, it wasn't exactly someone else's problem anymore.
For the time being, we settled our plans and headed downstairs to eat in the inn's dining hall.
The food in the elven village featured a lot of mountain vegetables, which suited my tastes quite well.
Rani, however, complained about the lack of meat.
Later, after returning to our room and beginning preparations for bed, there came a sudden knock at the door.
The person who entered was none other than Miss Sphenia.
I'd heard she was staying at the village chief's residence together with Miss Hofena.
“Good evening. Is something wrong? It's pretty late.”
“I heard that you were staying in a four-person room, so I was wondering if I might join you.”
“...Huh?”
“Oh, so you're staying here too, Sphenia-san? That bed's empty, so it's fine. Right, Fray?”
“Yes. I'd like to learn more about elves and their culture as well.”
“Thank you very much. Then I'll take you up on your offer.”
Before I could even process what was happening, Miss Sphenia had already deposited her belongings around the empty bed and established her territory.
Rani was grinning from ear to ear.
Apparently she had entered full Sphenia-recruitment mode again.
“So, Sphenia-san, how's the epidemic situation? Does it seem manageable?”
“Yes. There were already close to a hundred patients in the isolation ward. Hofena has begun prescribing medicine to the most severe cases, so it appears we've avoided the worst possible outcome.”
“That's good. It would've been awful if we'd arrived too late.”
“To be honest, thinking about what would have happened if I hadn't met your party is rather frightening. The slave hunters, carrying Hofena here, obtaining the rabbit horns... if even one of those things had failed, there would have been casualties.”
Miss Sphenia said that while looking directly at me.
Now that she mentioned it, the whole situation really had been balanced on a knife's edge.
I couldn't help but feel that my【Bad Luck】skill had been heavily involved somehow.
“All I can say is that we were fortunate. We were lucky enough to meet an exceptional adventurer like you as well, Sphenia-san.”
“Exceptional...? Compared to your party, I'm nothing special. Your response to the drug used by the bandits was remarkable, and the power you displayed afterward was incredible.
…
It made me realize once again that there are limits to what a person can accomplish alone.”
“I feel the same way. I spent a long time- Well, some time, working solo, but after teaming up with these two, the range of things I could accomplish expanded dramatically.”
As we talked, it somehow started sounding as though I was the one recruiting her.
When I glanced over, Rani was smirking.
Freynil... seemed oddly fidgety.
“So, Sphenia-san, the fact that you're here means you're seriously considering joining us, right?”
Rani, who apparently had never heard of the word restraint, cut straight to the point.
For just a moment, I thought I saw the faintest smile appear on Miss Sphenia's face.
“That would be correct.”
“Hurray! That's great news, right, Soushi?”
“Ah... yeah, I suppose so. If you'd be willing to join us, we'd certainly welcome you. But I think it would be perfectly reasonable for you to consider the matter more carefully. We'll still be here until Hofena-san finishes her work.”
“Understood. Soushi-san, you're a very modest and unusual person. The people who've approached me in the past were generally so forceful that it became troublesome.”
“Ahaha, but anyone would want someone like Sphenia-san in their party, wouldn't they? Especially men. Right, Soushi? You think so too, don't you?”
I understood what Rani was getting at, but it was a difficult question to answer.
Freynil was staring at me rather intently as well.
“...I can't exactly say I don't understand the sentiment. In any case, I won't try to pressure you into joining us.”
“Yes. Then, please allow me a little more time to think it over.”
Somehow, I managed to navigate through that conversation.
Still, it was strange how tense the prospect of adding a single new member to the party could make me feel.
——————
E/N:
Damn, Freynil's yandere progression is nuts! And, girls in this otherworld are so forward! Or it that also, Bad Luck-sensei? 😂
Anyway, I've finally caught up to the previous translator who is still popping out translations by breaking the chapters and putting them behind paywalls.
I'm not doing all this for money, you know. My main objective is for WN and LN enjoyers like us to get to read proper, grammatically correct, coherent novel translations.
And my second goal? Its to archive these WNs for our future generations to read and enjoy.
You won't find me begging for money every or every other chapter. As hypocritical as it is for me have a Ko-fi account, it's there for those of you who appreciate my work (just the editing part) and want to spare me something.
Hell, now that I'm graduating, I would be busy searching for jobs and what not! Still, I've made this translation my hobby! So, sit back, relax, get some snacks! And keep on reading!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments