Ossan Saikyō Chapter 10 Part 08
“My, my, that was truly an impressive display. I was deeply moved. According to the adventurers traveling with us, that monster just now was apparently B-Rank. To defeat such a creature in a single blow... you must surely be a party of some renown.
…
Would you do me the honor of telling me your name?”
The man who stepped down from the wagon was short but sturdily built, with the neat appearance of a well dressed merchant. He looked to be in his late-40s.
His smile was warm, but there was unmistakable shrewdness in his eyes. From my previous life's experience, he reminded me of a sharp witted independent buyer.
As we hesitated over how to respond, the man suddenly realized something and gave an apologetic smile.
“Ah, forgive my manners. My name is Toronto. I conduct a modest amount of business in several towns centered around the Royal Capital.
…
As a merchant, I simply couldn't overlook either the skill you displayed in defeating that monster or the remarkable ability to store such a gigantic creature inside an【Item Box】.
…
Of course, I'm also sincerely grateful that you saved us. I merely wished to make your acquaintance.”
“Thank you for your courteous introduction. My name is Soushi. Our party is called〈Saul's Guidance〉. We're merely a newly formed C-Rank party, completely unknown, so I'm afraid our name won't mean much to you.”
When I answered, Mr. Toronto spread his arms in exaggerated surprise.
Still, I was certain I caught a fleeting expression that seemed to say, I've struck gold!
“My goodness! To possess such ability and yet remain unknown... who would have imagined such a thing? In that case, I absolutely must remember the name〈Saul's Guidance〉, and especially its leader, Soushi-dono.
…
From a merchant's perspective, forging ties with a promising but as yet unknown party is far more valuable than befriending one that's already famous.”
“So... you're investing early, then? I can't promise we'll live up to your expectations.”
My words seemed to genuinely surprise him.
“Soushi-dono truly is a man who understands. That only makes me wish to deepen our friendship all the more. By the way, where do you intend to deliver that Salamander?”
“To Bartlan.”
“Excellent. We were planning to stop in Bartlan ourselves. It seems I'll be able to acquire some excellent materials.”
Mr. Toronto allowed himself a slightly mischievous smile.
He was probably planning to secure the Salamander materials before any other merchants could.
A shrewd businessman indeed.
Judging by his bearing, he might even have been an executive of a major trading company.
“In any case, since you saved us, I'd very much like to offer you some token of gratitude. Is there anything you might desire?”
“No. We merely happened upon the monster and defeated it. I couldn't possibly accept a reward.”
“Oh, but that simply won't do. Had you not intervened, not only our merchandise but even our lives would have been in danger.”
I understood his reasoning.
Still, it had simply been a matter of circumstance, and I didn't feel entitled to any reward.
On the other hand, it was obvious he wanted to establish a relationship with us, so refusing outright probably wouldn't end the conversation.
“If you insist... then perhaps this. I expect we'll visit the Royal Capital someday. When that time comes, perhaps I'll ask you for a favor then. I'll remember the name of Toronto-dono, a man who values honor.”
For a brief moment, Mr. Toronto blinked in surprise.
Then he burst into delighted laughter.
“Ha ha ha! It seems I have even more reason to be grateful for today's meeting. Very well, we'll leave it at that for now. But when you visit the royal capital, you must stop by the Toronto Trading Company. I'd be happy to recommend a fine inn as well.”
With that, Mr. Toronto briskly returned to his wagon.
Even the way he withdrew had the unmistakable air of an accomplished merchant.
“Until we meet again!”
After bidding us farewell, Mr. Toronto's caravan departed toward Bartlan.
The wagons moved much faster than I'd expected.
Looking closely, the horses pulling them were clearly of exceptional quality.
“He was kind of a strange old man. I didn't really understand what you two were talking about, but... somehow it felt like Soushi came out on top.”
Watching the wagons disappear, Rani spoke.
Freynil nodded in agreement.
“I felt the same. I believe Soushi-sama earned that gentleman's trust.”
“The Toronto Trading Company is one of the three largest trading companies in the royal capital. Earning the trust of its Chairman is an enormous opportunity for〈Saul's Guidance〉.”
Mariane's unexpected remark made me blurt out,
“Huh?”
Becoming acquainted with the Chairman of one of the three largest trading companies in the Royal Capital...
Isn't my【Bad Luck】skill working a little too hard?
If it collapsed from overwork, no one was going to help it.
◇◆◇
Two days later, around noon, we arrived in Bartlan.
It was said to be the second largest city in Count Lautrec's territory, and it was nearly as prosperous as Euron.
Our first priority was escorting Mariane to the Adventurers Guild.
Naturally, we also intended to sell the Salamander.
That would probably become Mariane's very first task at the Bartlan Guild.
Bartlan's Guild was almost identical in size to the one in Euron.
Even the arrangement of the counters inside the building was the same.
Apparently this was so traveling adventurers could conduct their business in the same way no matter which town they visited.
Upon arriving, Mariane disappeared into a room in the back.
About ten minutes later, she was already behind the reception counter, carrying out her duties.
She must have already spoken with Bartlan's Guildmaster.
Still, the transition felt remarkably quick.
Perhaps procedures for dedicated Guild Officers like Mariane had already been established internally.
The other receptionists watched her from a distance with puzzled expressions.
Mariane, however, paid them no attention whatsoever.
Just as always.
“Soushi-san, shall we begin by processing the purchase of the Salamander?”
“Yes, let's do that.”
So we immediately headed to the dismantling yard behind the Guild.
Mariane called over one of the dismantling staff.
I took the Salamander out of my【Item Box】in the square outside the dismantling area.
As expected, seeing a 20-meter huge monster emerge from an【Item Box】was far from ordinary.
The male dismantler stared in astonishment.
“I'd heard about it, but... this really is incredible. The buyer's already been arranged, so we'll get started right away.”
I see.
Mr. Toronto had apparently already reserved it.
If the materials could be sold immediately, that was ideal for the Guild as well.
We returned inside the Guild to complete the paperwork for the Salamander subjugation.
Several adventurers inside seemed to be paying attention to us.
Perhaps they'd realized we had a dedicated Guild Officer assigned to us.
There was one D-Rank dungeon and two C-Rank dungeons around Bartlan.
The average rank of adventurers here seemed higher than in Euron.
Naturally, there would also be more sharp eyed people.
Afterward, we went into town and checked into an inn recommended by Mariane.
Since Mariane would be staying at the same inn, it looked like things were about to become even livelier for the girls once again.
——————
E/N:
Helluva opportunistic fellow, this Toronto! Also, hope that Supreme Trash doesn't interfere with Ossan and party's Dungeon activities!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments
I too love Kuhito-sensei's works. I was planning to translate their other works too! Of course, stay tuned for more Ossan works. 😁
(I'm more of a Milf-onomist but to each their own ig 😂!)