Ossan Saikyō Chapter 10 Part 09
The following morning, we began with our usual early morning training.
The location was the Guild's training grounds, and despite it still being before dawn, there were already 5 men and women practicing sword swings and other drills.
As expected of a Guild with so many C-Rank adventurers and above.
As always, we worked on improving our fundamental physical abilities. We sprinted and performed repetitive exercises while wearing Dark Metal weights, then paired up to catch randomly thrown Dark Metal balls.
I could tell the other adventurers kept glancing our way. To an outside observer, what we were doing probably looked rather unusual.
Naturally, since this was Mariane's first experience with〈Saul's Guidance〉, we had her participate as well.
“I see... So you've broken down each skill into its individual components and devised training specifically suited to each one. When you think about it, it sounds obvious enough, but realizing it and actually putting it into practice is anything but ordinary.
…
And to think you've accomplished this despite having been an adventurer for less than half a year... As both a former adventurer and a current Guild employee, I can only feel embarrassed.”
“No, I'm only applying knowledge that someone else discovered. More importantly, could you feel the effects?”
“Yes. I could clearly feel specific abilities improving. So this is the secret behind the strength of〈Saul's Guidance〉. It seems we may need to rethink quite a few things.”
As we talked, Rani stood nearby grinning, while Sphenia and Freynil nodded enthusiastically.
“By the way, Mariane-san, would it be possible for the Guild to spread this training method? I think it would raise the overall ability of adventurers as a whole.”
At my suggestion, Mariane looked surprised at first before lowering her eyes in thought.
“Yes... Naturally, I would be grateful if that were possible. However, while it would be one thing if you personally shared it, having the Guild do so might create certain problems.”
“Problems?”
“Yes. Skills are originally regarded as blessings bestowed by the gods, and the Aashram Church is deeply involved in interpreting those blessings. If the Guild were to encourage breaking down and utilizing those divine blessings in this way, it could invite the Church's displeasure.
…
Furthermore, if adventurers as a whole became significantly stronger, there would be those who viewed that with suspicion. Adventurers have always been both shields that protect rulers and blades that can threaten them.”
“I see. So political interests are involved as well. That certainly makes it a delicate issue.”
“If you don't mind, Soushi-san, I'd like to report this information directly to the Grandmaster. After that, I believe the decision will rest with him... Would that be acceptable?”
“I have no objections. Please do.”
“This could be an extremely important technique for your party, perhaps even one that should remain secret. Are you truly certain?”
“Yes. Sooner or later, someone else will discover it anyway. Besides, if adventurers as a whole become stronger, the damage caused by monsters will decrease. In the end, that will benefit us as well.”
There's an old saying that kindness eventually returns to you.
Though in my case, this wasn't even kindness. It was simply knowledge I'd borrowed from someone else.
“I understand. I'll proceed as discussed. To be honest, this alone makes becoming the dedicated Guild Officer of〈Saul's Guidance〉worthwhile. Thank you very much.”
Mariane bowed her head.
If she was this impressed already, I wondered how she'd react once we entered the dungeon.
To be honest, I was looking forward to finding out.
◇◆◇
Bartlan's D-Rank dungeon was another giant tree dungeon, just like the one near the Elven village.
It had 10 floors, and we planned to clear it in a single day.
The monsters on 1st through 5th floors were exactly the same as before: the giant bee, Killer Bee Soldier, the giant pill bug, Iron Bug, and the giant earthworm, Large Worm.
Naturally, they posed no challenge whatsoever to a C-Rank party like ours.
We cut through them as though strolling across an empty field.
To help Mariane regain her combat instincts, we had her fight as well.
Her fighting style was exactly what her appearance suggested: speed focused, almost ninja like.
She was also highly skilled at throwing weapons, occasionally finishing monsters off with throwing knives called hyou.
We reached the mid-Boss in under 3 hours.
Mariane sighed.
“Even if it's only a dungeon one rank below us... this is still far too fast.”
That reaction was becoming almost routine.
The boss was the tree-type monster, Murder Tree.
This time, however, two of them appeared.
At Rani's cheerful, “Lucky!”, Mariane frowned.
“We don't have time to waste, so I'll force my way through. Freynil, put up your «Barrier» outside to serve as a defensive wall. Rani and Sphenia, take the one on the left. Mariane-san, if possible, support them.”
“Yes, Soushi-sama.”
“Okay!”
“Understood.”
“As you command.”
Leaving one to the others, I charged straight at the one on the right.
I blocked the incoming fruit projectiles with my shield while knocking aside the extending branches with【Shockwave】.
Soon the thick trunk loomed before me.
I swung my mace sideways.
The trunk, thick enough that it would have taken both arms to encircle it, shattered into countless fragments.
Meanwhile, the other tree took heavy damage from «Flame Bolt» and staggered.
Rani closed in and repeatedly slashed it apart with her flaming sword, bringing the battle to an end.
Mariane had also contributed by cutting down several branches to support them.
Naturally, two treasure chests appeared.
Their contents were a gold ingot and a ring.
After Mariane appraised it with【Appraisal】, the ring was identified as having the effect『Fire Resistance +1』.
Since I'd likely be the one standing on the front line against enemy breaths, it was decided I should wear it.
Once again, I found myself appreciating just how useful the【Appraisal】skill was.
As for the gold ingot, it was simply an item meant to be sold, though naturally it held considerable value in this world as well.
“Witnessing two Bosses appear at once is surprising enough, but what's even more surprising is how accustomed all of you are to it.
…
And this is the first time I've ever seen two treasure chests appear simultaneously. I have far too many things to report.”
Even as she said that, the corners of Mariane's mouth curled into a faint smile.
Perhaps she was finally beginning to get used to just how unusual our party was.
Though the real event was still ahead.
◇◆◇
After taking a short break in the safe zone, we descended to the 6th floor.
From here on, we proceeded with a bit more caution.
The ordinary monsters on the 6th and 7th floor were the black praying mantis-type, Death Mantis.
Their sickle like forelegs carried paralytic poison, making them rather troublesome, but Sphenia's and Freynil's ranged attacks were simply too powerful.
Their dropped materials were their enormous sickles themselves, whose paralytic poison could apparently be used directly for hunting.
On 8th and 9th floor, appeared the gigantic moth, Paralysis Moth, its wings spanning nearly three meters across.
True to its name, it scattered poisonous paralyzing scales, making it a deadly monster for those encountering it for the first time.
However, once Freynil completely nullified the scales with «Absolution» enhanced by【Amplify】, it became nothing more than target practice for magic, arrows, and Mariane's throwing knives.
Its wings felt almost like silk to the touch and were naturally used as material for clothing.
The monster on 10th floor was the Steel Bug.
Its shell was even harder than that of the giant pill bugs before it.
Its only attack was a straightforward body slam.
Which simply made it another victim for my mace.
Its drop was a lump of metal, naturally used for crafting weapons and armor.
In the end, we reached the Boss room in roughly 4 hours.
Mariane's participation had certainly helped, but at this pace, a 10 floor dungeon seemed perfectly manageable within 8 hours.
“I thought it wouldn't be impossible, but we've made it here even more smoothly than I expected.”
That was Sphenia speaking.
It seemed even she was gradually becoming accustomed to the rather unreasonable standards of〈Saul's Guidance〉.
“Top class parties can clear 10 floors in a single day, but very few would attempt it in a dungeon they're entering for the first time.”
“This time we also had Mariane-san joining us. Mobility really is invaluable when dealing with large numbers of monsters.”
I had intended it as praise, but Mariane's expression darkened slightly.
“My abilities are sufficient against ordinary monsters, but when facing larger enemies, I'm painfully reminded of my lack of offensive power.”
So that was why she'd given up climbing any higher as an adventurer.
Rani encouraged her.
“It's still too early to give up.”
I could only hope Mariane would eventually obtain a skill that would give her renewed hope.
“Alright. Let's go.”
As soon as we entered the Boss room, black mist began gathering.
The monster that appeared was a gigantic caterpillar nearly 10 meters long. Its entire body was covered in dazzling, gaudy colors.
Anyone who hated insects would probably break out in goosebumps and foam at the mouth.
“Ugh, that's disgusting! But... those colors mean it's a rare one, don't they?”
“I've heard the normal one is black, so yes, it's a rare boss. Freynil, weaken it first, then put up a defensive «Barrier» . I'll deflect as many of its flying spines as I can with【Shockwave】, but stay alert.”
Answering Rani, I raised my shield and stepped in front of the party.
According to the information we'd gathered, it fired the countless spines covering its body.
Given those brilliant colors, I suspected the spines carried elemental properties or additional effects.
『Halo』shone brilliantly.
Immediately afterward, Sphenia's «Flame Bolt» struck home.
Several spines were blasted away, but the main body appeared completely unharmed.
The giant caterpillar shuddered.
Dozens of spines, each closer in size to a spear than a needle, shot toward us.
I countered with【Shockwave】, knocking every one of them aside.
The spines that embedded themselves into the walls and floor burst into flames or scattered shards of ice.
Just as I'd thought, they carried elemental effects.
“«Barrier» is up!”
Hearing Freynil's voice, I advanced slowly.
Rani and Mariane followed behind me.
Several arrows from Sphenia and throwing knives from Mariane struck the Boss.
The creature shook again, launching another volley of spines.
I deflected them with【Shockwave】.
Then two beams of «Sacred Ray» flashed down from above and pierced the Boss.
Sphenia followed up with «Stone Lance».
Once it came within range, I unleashed【Shockwave】at maximum power.
A huge portion of the spines covering the caterpillar's body shattered and disappeared.
“Did we do it?”
Rani asked.
I stopped her with a hand gesture.
The Boss had suddenly begun moving strangely.
Its body trembled violently.
Then its back split wide open.
From inside emerged a gigantic, brilliantly colored moth.
A Boss that actually metamorphosed...
That was certainly unexpected.
The enormous moth, with a wingspan of nearly 10 meters, took flight and beat its wings, scattering clouds of scales.
“Fray, «Absolution»!”
I gave the order while using weaker shockwaves to push back the drifting scales.
“Casting «Absolution»!”
A gentle light spread throughout the boss chamber as «Absolution» activated.
Whatever poison those scales contained was now neutralized.
“Target its wings and bring it down!”
At my command, multiple arrows and throwing knives punched holes through its wings.
A sweeping blast of «Sacred Ray» severed one of them completely.
The giant moth crashed to the floor, thrashing wildly.
“Got you!”
After that, Rani's attack was more than enough.
Her flaming blade flashed once.
The moth's head separated cleanly from its body and fell to the floor with a heavy thud.
——————
E/N:
Did Jinx-chan and/or Bad Luck-sensei level up or what 😂?
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments