Ossan Saikyō Chapter 10 Part 07

Leaving the Salamander behind, now headless and with the flames across its body extinguished, I headed toward the fallen female adventurer.

She was already back on her feet, though barely, using her naginata as a walking stick.

She had neatly trimmed long gray hair and wore an elaborately designed forehead protector across her brow, giving her the air of a female warrior. She looked to be just under 20-years old.

She must normally have had a dignified expression, but exhaustion was evident on her face now.


“Fray, please heal her for me.”


When the others caught up, I asked Freynil to treat her injuries. I was slightly surprised when the warrior woman replied with, “My deepest gratitude…”.

(E/N: She talks like a samurai, degozaru-style but it's difficult to notice or translate to English so please keep in mind.)


“We're the party〈Saul's Guidance〉. Sorry about this, but we judged the situation to be too dangerous, so we took it upon ourselves to subjugate that monster. I hope you can understand.”


When I said that, the warrior woman looked apologetic.


“I'm afraid that isn't for me to decide. Our leader is the one who would make that judgment, so I'd ask that you speak with him instead-!”


“Oh, now that's a problem! You really shouldn't go interfering with other people's affairs like that. You've completely ruined our strategy.”


A boy's voice interrupted her from behind.

Turning around, I saw the young adventurer who had fled in panic earlier now walking toward us with an exasperated expression.

Looking at him properly now, he was an exceptionally handsome youth with blond hair and crimson eyes. If not for the frivolous look on his face, he could have passed for the hero of a story.

Behind him stood two girls dressed like a mage and a priestess.

They too were strikingly beautiful, though the arrogance in their expressions was impossible to hide.

Looking more closely, all four of them were equipped with remarkably high quality gear.

I'm one to talk, but it was equipment clearly beyond what their actual ability justified.


“So you're the leader? We're〈Saul's Guidance〉. I'm the leader, Soushi. We judged the situation to be dangerous, so we stepped in and defeated the monster. Are you saying your earlier actions were all part of your strategy?”


“We're〈Supreme Radiance〉. I'm the leader, Garsonia. That's right. Our strategy was to lure it toward the hill and counterattack using the terrain. You people got in the way of that plan. So I'd like you to apologize first.”


Well... this was my first time meeting this sort of adventurer.

I could understand now how stealing prey could become a source of conflict.

Still, accepting the boy's argument at face value would clearly be a mistake.

If I were alone, I'd happily step aside.

But I had companions to think about now.


“What!? You were obviously just running away!”


“Rani, leave it.”


I stopped her before continuing.


“I see. If that truly was your strategy, then so be it. Before anything else, though, I'd like to ask you something. Your strategy put all those civilians up there in danger. How do you explain that?”


“I don't see how that's our problem. Those civilians wandered into our operational area of their own accord. The responsibility lies with them. In that sense, they're just as guilty as you are.”


“I see. So you're saying you were fully aware of their presence and still carried out a strategy that endangered them?”


“How many times do I have to say it?! They entered our operational area without permission.”


“That's beside the point. What's important is that you recognized they were there. From what you've just said, it sounds like you did.”


“So what!? Stop wasting time and apologize already.”


“Before that, are you aware that adventurers are strictly forbidden from placing ordinary civilians in danger?”


“Of course I know that. But you're not suggesting this counts, are you? Those civilians walked in on their own.”


“That isn't for us to decide. It's something the Guild will judge. Coincidentally, there's a Guild Officer here right now, so I think we should ask for their opinion.”


“What? As if a Guild Official would just happen to be here. Spare me these ridiculous accusations.”


“Mariane-san, what would the Guild's judgment be?”


I turned toward Mariane.

I felt a little guilty for dragging her into this...

Though to be honest, she'd been frowning for a while now, looking like she'd been wanting to say something.

Mariane calmly took out her Guild employee identification card and showed it to the boy.


“My name is Mariane, First Class Guild Officer of the Adventurers' Guild. I witnessed everything that just occurred. If your earlier actions were indeed part of your strategy, then they constitute a serious offense by placing civilians in danger.”


The moment Mariane said that, the boy's face twisted into an indescribable expression and he involuntarily took a step backward.

The two girls behind him retreated as well.


“T-That... Why would a First Class Guild Officer be here...? No, what I meant earlier wasn't...”


“I'll ask you once more. If your previous actions were indeed part of your strategy, then they constitute a serious prohibited act. Were those actions truly part of your strategy?”


Mariane repeated the question.

The boy suddenly seemed to come to his senses, forcing a smile onto his face.


“Ah... no, my apologies. We simply panicked and ran without thinking. We never noticed there were civilians nearby.”


“I see. In that case, you have no objection to the ownership of the defeated Salamander residing with〈Saul's Guidance〉?”


“Haha, of course not. They're the ones who defeated it. We couldn't possibly claim any rights to it.”


“Very well. Then I'll conclude that no prohibited act took place. I've heard that〈Supreme Radiance〉is a party held in very high regard. I'm relieved this was merely a misunderstanding.”


“Exactly. We're a party with great expectations placed upon us. We wouldn't become obsessed over prey of this level. Come, everyone. We failed to finish it off this time, but let's learn from the experience and do better next time.”


Garsonia's attitude changed completely.

With theatrical gestures, he gathered his companions and hurriedly left the area.

Naturally, he shot me a glare as he departed.

I deliberately pretended not to notice.

Instead, I simply raised a hand in greeting toward the warrior woman, who bowed apologetically before following after them.

I didn't know the full story, but she definitely seemed like the one drawing the short straw.

I suppose people like that exist in every world.

Once the four members of〈Supreme Radiance〉had disappeared into the distance, Rani folded her arms and puffed out her cheeks.


“What was with those people? They changed their tune so fast it made me sick. Soushi, are we really just letting them go? They were trying to set us up!”


“I understand how you feel, Rani. But I don't think it'd be wise to get any more involved with them. Mariane-san... they're not an ordinary party, are they?”


I'd asked because they looked like people of noble birth.

The name Garsonia sounded aristocratic enough, and judging from their equipment, they certainly didn't seem like commoners.


“Yes, you're correct.”


Mariane let out a quiet sigh before beginning her explanation.


“〈Supreme Radiance〉is one of the parties consisting of ‘Adventurers of Salvation’, established by the Aashram Church. Every member, including that young man, comes from noble families. Even the Adventurers Guild must handle them carefully.”


“‘Adventurers of Salvation’?”


“Yes. According to the Church, they received a divine revelation that the Time of Chaos is drawing near. And they claim, parties like〈Supreme Radiance〉is one of the measures created to bring that Time of Chaos to an early end.”


If Mariane's explanation was accurate, then they were basically this world's version of a Hero's party.

Though judging from their behavior, they were nothing like the image that title suggested.


“So they're the Church's pet project. Still... the Time of Chaos doesn't sound very reassuring.”


“Fray, have you ever heard of this?”


Rani quietly asked.

Freynil shook her head.


“No. Not as far as I know. I believe the Church had declared that the Time of Chaos had already been overcome.”


“That's right,” Mariane agreed.


“After the territorial conflicts between the nations came to an end, I believe the Church officially announced exactly that.”


Sphenia nodded.


“I've heard the same. Though... I understand a new Pope was recently enthroned at the Aashram Church. That may have something to do with it.”


I see...

It was hardly unusual for a new leader to launch various initiatives to establish their authority.

But if incidents like what had happened to Freynil were occurring in the shadows of all that...

And if〈Supreme Radiance〉was one of the results...

Then, honestly, it would be difficult for me to have a favorable opinion of the Church.


“This all sounds like a pain. It probably won't have much to do with us anyway, so let's just forget about them and keep moving.”


“I agree with Rani. We'll focus on what we need to do. Mariane-san, thank you for your help back there.”


“No... As a Guild Officer, I could have handled that better. I'm grateful for your judgment, Soushi-san.”


After giving Mariane a nod, I stored the Salamander's enormous body inside my【Item Box】.

Freynil and the others barely reacted anymore, but Mariane still looked genuinely astonished.


“You really can fit such an enormous Salamander into your【Item Box】. That ability alone is quite extraordinary. Though defeating it in a single blow is just as unbelievable...”


“If that surprises you, you won't survive very long with our party. Right, Fray?”


“Yes. Soushi-sama truly possesses remarkable power.”


As I smiled awkwardly at their praise, another group descended the hill toward us.

It was exactly what you'd expect from a traveling merchant caravan.

Three covered wagons, escorted by a party of adventurers.

The man riding in the lead wagon seemed to be shouting toward us.


“Please wait, adventurers! Would you allow me to properly introduce myself?”


It seemed this unexpected incident still had one more act left to play.


——————
E/N:

This “Hero's” gonna eat shit so bad, I'm surprised other adventurers haven't yet smashed the crap outta the party inside a dungeon 😂! I'm even more surprised they didn't have their personal knights with them.

Of course, all except the warrior-girl. She seems honourable enough, although too honourable for her own good. Of course, Ossan will be there to save her day, right…?

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing