Soul Devourer Chapter 6 Episode 32 — Fangs Hidden Beneath the Alliance

After swiftly defeating the dungeon boss, I obtained the《Pearl of Nine Prayers》from the treasure chest.

Following the instructions in its description, I swallowed it whole without chewing.

…That should have activated its effect.

Letting out a breath, I began considering how I should confront Russia regarding the attack carried out by the〈Semi-Tsar〉.

To begin with, I didn't even understand why I had been attacked.

I genuinely had no idea.

Japan and Russia had signed a non-aggression pact and a Russo-Japanese alliance in exchange for granting Russia dungeon conquest rights.

Furthermore, that proposal had originated from Russia's side.

And yet, immediately after it became reality, this incident occurred.

It was far too strange.

One possible interpretation was that they had never intended to build relations with Japan in the first place, and that the alliance had merely been a temporary arrangement to lure me in.

But unlike China, Russia had no significant history of friction with Japan.

So why would they need to eliminate me?

I couldn't make sense of it.

Alternatively, this attack might not have been the will of the Russian state at all.

It could have been the personal decision of a member of the〈Semi-Tsar〉.

If they had truly intended to eliminate me, a fellow〘Regalia〙, then they should have sent Ekaterina, who was also a〘Regalia〙, rather than a member of the〈Semi-Tsar〉.

Or, if they had deployed Ekaterina together with all of the〈Semi-Tsar〉, their chances of killing me would have been far greater than relying on that half-baked mob of thugs.

…Then why didn't they?

Did they send those people merely as a touchstone to measure my strength?

Several possibilities came to mind, but all of them remained speculation.


“...I should have left some of those thugs alive and interrogated them with【Infestation】.”


A trace of regret crossed my mind.

There were no witness statements.

No physical evidence.

Even if I protested to Russia under these circumstances, all it would take was for the member of the〈Semi-Tsar〉in question to deny everything.

That would be the end of it.

Worse, suspicion could end up falling on me instead, potentially damaging Russo-Japanese relations.

…Reckless action must be avoided.

In that case, there was only one option available.

If another attack occurred, I would capture the member of the〈Semi-Tsar〉responsible, or one of their associates, alive and present them to the Russian authorities.

Preferably the culprit himself.

However, if there was no second attack…

Then I would quietly eliminate that member of the〈Semi-Tsar〉myself.

At worst, the Russo-Japanese alliance would be dissolved.

But I had genuinely been targeted for assassination.

They would pay for it.

Conclusion.

My course of action was clear:

Wait for the next attack.

With that decision firmly made, I used the return magic circle to teleport back to the surface.

From the moment I emerged at the dungeon entrance, I maintained the highest level of vigilance.

Using【Void Magic】, I sent Samael and the others back to the Troll Dungeon.

Keeping a close eye even on the movements of the hunters passing by, I made my way toward Ivan.

I asked him to handle the material sales on my behalf and completed the necessary procedures at the guild branch office.

The purchase price for ten Grim Reapers and the No-Life King's materials came to 199,483,338 rubles.

Roughly 400 million yen.

After completing the sale, I climbed into the back seat of the car.

Ivan, seated in the driver's seat, turned toward me.


“Hunter Matsubara, thank you for your hard work. The sun has already set for today. Perhaps it would be best to stop dungeon exploration here?”


“That's true. By the way, how many S-Rank dungeons are left?”


“Two remain.”


“And among those, how many are Upper S-Rank?”


“Both of them are Upper S-Rank dungeons.”


…Two Upper S-Rank dungeons.

Tomorrow was looking very promising.


“Would you like to have dinner somewhere?”


“No, I'll eat at the hotel... Please head there.”


“Understood.”


The engine started quietly, and the car glided into the night-covered city.


—————————
—————————

——————
E/N:

This is exactly why I love Yuito's character, he ain't a beta, cowering and scurrying around in a panic. He makes resolves and solves his problems accordingly!

Anyway, as of this upload, I have finished the Konbini Ossan series and picked up another series, The Strongest Old Man in The Parallel World (Ossan Saikyō). Do go check it out!

I know that there is already a translator for that series but again, slow and paywall is never liked by readers! So I'll catch up to the latest, Chapter 8 Part 05 and then continue daily uploads!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing