Ossan Saikyō Chapter 4 Part 10

The next day, the two of us entered the dungeon again.

Up to the 4th floor, we proceeded just like yesterday. Freynil took the lead while I provided support.

When three or more monsters appeared at once, she couldn’t handle them all. In those cases, I would thin them out or act as a shield to draw aggro.

It was interesting how roles like those in the games I used to play naturally formed.

The 5th floor also posed no problems, and before long we arrived at the door to the Boss room.


“So this is the Boss room… of the dungeon.”


“That’s right. A higher variant of the boar wolf appears as the Boss. The way to fight it is the same. I’ll hold its head, you attack from the side. Can you do it?”


“Yes, I can.”


“Alright, let’s go.”


There was no trace of fear in Freynil’s eyes. This should be fine.

As we entered the Boss room, black mist appeared as usual, and the Bear Wolf materialized.


“So this is the Boss… it looks strong.”


“Yeah, it’s stronger than normal monsters. But I can take it down barehanded.”


“Eh!? Barehanded!?”


“If I couldn’t, I wouldn’t be able to support you. Here it comes.”


The Bear Wolf charged as usual. I dashed forward at the same time and slammed into it head-on before it reached top speed.

Using my【Strength】,【Might】, and【Stability】skills, I firmly grabbed hold of its head. It tried to bite me, but the【Steel Body】skill prevented its fangs from digging in.


“Now, Freynil!”


“Yes!”


Freynil circled to the side and thrust her spear into the Bear Wolf’s flank. Of course, one strike wasn’t enough.


“Yah! Hah!”


Shouting, her long golden hair whipping wildly, Freynil drove her spear in again and again. The Bear Wolf roared in agony and thrashed about, but my grip on its neck didn’t slip.

After more than a dozen strikes, the final thrust must have reached its heart. The Bear Wolf let out a “Gof!” and collapsed, its strength gone.

As its corpse vanished, the usual mana stone and meat were left behind.


“Haah… haah… We did it… we defeated it…”


“Yeah, well done. You’re a proper adventurer now.”


“Thank you… but I couldn’t have done it without your help, Soushi-sama.”


“That’s how it works. Adventurers fight together. If I wasn’t here, someone else would’ve taken that role. You still defeated it as part of a party.”


“Soushi-sama… yes, I’ll think of it that way.”


It felt a bit strange hearing myself talk about “fighting with companions” when I’d been solo this whole time, but Freynil seemed convinced.

Now, the question was what skill she’d gain… She flinched slightly, so something must have come to her.


“So this is what it feels like to gain a special skill… the way to use it just appears in my mind… This is…【Holy Magic】…?”


Just as I expected, she’d gained a magic skill. I wasn’t sure if『Holy』attribute was in the guide; I’d need to check later.


“Congratulations. Looks like you got a Magic skill after all.”


“Yes, just as you said, Soushi-sama. How did you know?”


“Pure guess. No real reason.”


I couldn’t exactly say it was because she looked like a magic-type character. But a fragile, blonde, blue-eyed girl gaining【Holy Magic】was almost too fitting, it was hard not to laugh.

◇◆◇

After leaving the dungeon, we trained as usual before heading back to town.

I had Freynil try out her newly acquired【Holy Magic】. For now, it seemed she could only use a spell called «Sacred Ray».

As the name suggested, it fired a single beam of light from her hand.

When she aimed it at a rock, it burned a small hole into it. Honestly, it felt like some kind of laser beam I knew from my previous life.

Still, being『Holy』attribute, it might have special effectiveness against so-called Undead-type monsters.

Either way, I was glad Freynil didn’t end up as a physical attacker. Though there was no guarantee she’d keep getting magic-type skills going forward…

Back at the guild, I checked the guide. There was a brief mention of『Holy』attribute. It seemed to be a rare attribute, and if developed, it could make someone a valuable specialist against undead.

When I told Freynil this over dinner at the inn, she looked a bit conflicted.


“There was an adventurer at the Aashram church who specialized in defeating undead monsters. Is this the same?”


“I’m not sure. But I’ve seen adventurers serve nobles as knights, so it wouldn’t be strange if those who use holy magic belonged to the church as specialists against undead.”


“That’s… possible?”


“Being affiliated with an organization like the church might be a better way to live than wandering as a rootless adventurer. It’s something to think about eventually.”


“Even so, I don’t want to join the church… nor serve a noble. What about you, Soushi-sama?”


“I’m only E-rank, so it’s too early to decide. But for now, I don’t plan to belong anywhere.”


I knew both the advantages and disadvantages of being part of an organization. If the benefits outweighed the downsides, I’d consider it.

But as a former office worker, living freely as a freelancer had its appeal.


“I see… then I’ll follow your example.”


“For now, focus on improving as an adventurer. We can think about complicated things later.”


“Yes, I will.”


Freynil looked slightly relieved and resumed her meal.

The fact that she rejected both the church and nobility suggested she had her own circumstances. Well, she’d probably talk about it eventually…

That is, if she didn’t end up disliking being in a party with an old guy like me first.


——————
E/N:

Honestly, as reckless as it is for Ossan, who hasn't been in this otherworld a long time, to help a stranger train, I'm glad he did, given poor Freynil-chan's situation.

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing