Ossan Saikyō Chapter 4 Part 09
Before sunrise the next morning, I left the inn and headed with Freynil to the outskirts of the road outside town.
Of course, it was for training. But since I couldn’t neglect my own training either, I had Freynir do the same regimen as me, just with reduced load.
As an Awakened, her physical abilities were already above those of an average adult. Still, her body seemed to be in the middle of development, so the focus would be on building skills.
For now, I had her consciously train【Strength】,【Vitality】,【Speed】,【Vision】, and【Dynamic Acuity】. The training itself was simple; endless repetition.
Fortunately, she didn’t seem to mind that kind of work and quietly carried out everything I told her.
“How is it? Your weapon feels easier to handle now, right?”
“Yes… it feels strange. I’ve never done anything like this before…”
The weapon I gave Freynil was a spear just under two meters long. I could have given her a mace like mine, but I hesitated to have a girl engage in close-range brawling.
A bow would have been ideal, but I had a feeling she would eventually become a magic-type user. It was just a vague intuition, more like a game-like assumption, but given her build, it felt natural.
If that was the case, she’d end up using a staff anyway, so spear skills wouldn’t go to waste.
For now, I also had her wear light armor over her original white dress. Once she put it on, I noticed the chest plate looked rather tight, revealing that part of her physique was more developed than her age would suggest.
Not that it mattered, but still.
We trained the entire day, and she didn’t complain once. Though she did widen her eyes at times while watching me swing around dark metal rods.
Still, she seemed to have acquired a basic set of the same general skills I had.
She looked a little happy, saying her body moved completely differently compared to the morning. Once she gained confidence in herself, her perception of dungeons would likely change.
For her, that was the first step.
◇◆◇
We trained the same way the next day.
Freynil’s skills all seemed to have risen by one level, and it looked like she’d be ready to enter a dungeon tomorrow.
The problem was whether she could actually thrust a spear into a monster. For that, I decided on a rather extreme method.
“Alright, thrust.”
“But…!”
I stood in front of her, completely unarmed, having removed my armor, exposing myself defenseless.
It was simple, she would treat me as a monster and thrust her spear.
Of course, it had to be done with the intent to kill, or it wouldn’t mean anything. I had made that clear to her, and also explained that my【Steel Body】skill would prevent damage. This was more of a mental training exercise.
Since she hesitated, I took it step by step.
“Start with a light thrust. Just enough for the tip to touch. You can do that, right?”
“Y-Yes, I’ll try…”
She cautiously thrust forward. The trembling spear tip touched my abdomen and was repelled by the【Steel Body】skill.
“Amazing… it’s so hard…”
“That’s the power of skills. Now that you know it won’t hurt me, try a bit harder.”
“Yes… here I go…”
Gradually, she got used to it, and eventually she was able to thrust with full force. Even then, the tip only pierced about a centimeter, and of course, it healed instantly thanks to【Regeneration】.
Watching the wound close rapidly, Freynir’s eyes sparkled.
“The wound healed immediately… it’s like magic…”
“Yeah, skills are basically magic. There are even skills that let you use actual magic.”
“What!? How do you get those?”
“By defeating dungeon Bosses, you gain one special skill. If you’re lucky, you might be able to use magic.”
“And you, Soushi-sama?”
“Unfortunately, I don’t have any magic-related skills. Maybe the god of magic hates me.”
When I said that with a sulky tone, Freynil let out a small laugh. She seemed much more at ease now.
“My guess is that you’ll be able to use magic someday, Freynil. How about it? Want to enter a dungeon together tomorrow? Let’s aim to defeat a Boss and gain a special skill.”
“Really…? If you say so, Soushi-sama, then I’ll go with you.”
“Yeah, you’ll be fine now. Once you get used to it, even Bosses are manageable. Of course, I’ll help too.”
“Yes, I’ll do my best.”
There was a new kind of vigour in her expression. Maybe she’d gained a mental-type skill like【Courage】. These kinds of mental hurdles are usually hard to overcome, so if skills could ease that, it was a blessing.
◇◆◇
The next morning, Freynil and I headed to the F-class rock dungeon.
At the entrance, I asked, “You good?”
“I’m fine”, she answered firmly.
With that momentum, we entered the dungeon.
A single goblin appeared almost immediately. This was the turning point, the moment that would determine whether Freynil could make it as an adventurer.
Faced with the goblin charging at her with a raised club, she froze for a moment. I placed a hand on her shoulder and said, “You’ll be fine”.
Then she replied firmly, “I’m going”, and thrust her spear straight at the approaching goblin.
The spear pierced cleanly through its chest. When she pulled it back, the goblin collapsed and vanished, leaving behind materials.
“…I defeated it… right?”
Freynil looked up at me, half-dazed. When I nodded and said, “You did well”, her expression turned to relief.
“I’m so glad… I did it. It’s thanks to you, Soushi-sama.”
“You did it yourself. But this isn’t the end, today we’re going to the fourth floor.”
“Yes!”
And so, we continued down to the fourth floor together.
At some point, her adventurer level must have increased, her movements improved dramatically even from an outside perspective.
At first, she struggled to pierce the scales of rock lizards, but after fighting a few, her thrusts became more precise, and by the end, she was able to finish them off on her own.
As for boar wolves, she couldn’t face them head-on, so I intercepted their charge while she stabbed them repeatedly from the side. That seemed to push her level up even further, and she was surprised at how much stronger she had become.
“That’s enough for today. We’ll train again after this and then head back to town. Use what you learned in battle during training.”
“Yes!”
With a good stopping point reached, we decided to call it a day.
Still, having Freynil follow my routine made me realize that this was probably quite intense even by adventurer standards.
Well, I’m doing this because I enjoy it. If it becomes too much for her, she’ll say something eventually. Until then, I’ll have her stick with it as something necessary.
——————
E/N:
What a spartan training! Hope Freynil doesn't turn into an Amazoness, though… I wouldn't mind, wait, that's not what I mea-!
Stay tuned 😂!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments