Ossan Saikyō Chapter 4 Part 08

The next morning, after finishing my usual training outside the town, I headed straight to the F-class dungeon.

Menage’s F-class dungeon was a large rock dungeon set in the grasslands, almost identical to the one in Tolson.

The roaming monsters were the same too: goblins, rock lizards, and boar wolves, and even the boss, the Bear Wolf, was exactly the same.

Of course, there were no problems at all. I cleared it in about two hours, though it felt slightly easier than the Tolson dungeon.

Putting that aside, the new skill I obtained was【Illusion Resistance】. According to the guide, there were many types of resistance skills, which meant there were just as many monsters capable of inflicting bad status effects.

It seemed best to steadily acquire even low-rarity skills.

That was all well and good, but when I exited the dungeon, I noticed a group of young adventurers making a fuss.

Looking over, I saw that the girl from yesterday at the guild was being told something by her party members.

Ah, so she managed to form a party… I felt relieved for a moment… until the boy who looked like the leader raised his voice, half in anger.


“So what if you’re scared or can’t do it? That doesn’t solve anything! We were told to become adventurers out of nowhere too! Instead of whining, just try hitting a goblin first!”


“I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…”


“Seriously… we’ve got our livelihoods on the line too. If you’re not going to do anything, just go home already. See ya!”


With that, the boy spat out his words and, leaving the girl behind as she hung her head, entered the dungeon with the other two.

The girl remained there, unmoving for a while.

I hesitated whether to speak to her, but when I saw her begin to quietly sob, I couldn’t just leave her alone.


“Let’s head back to town for now. I’ll walk you there.”


“…Eh? Ah, from yesterday…”


When I spoke, she looked up at me with reddened eyes, hurriedly wiped her tears, and nodded.


“I’m sorry… Thank you very much.”


“Come on, then. Things you can’t do won’t suddenly become doable, so there’s no point worrying too much.”


I said that, but it was clear she had a pretty big hurdle to overcome if she wanted to make it as an adventurer.

Since I’d spoken to her, it felt only natural to look after her… though thinking about it, no girl would want to rely on some middle-aged guy.

If I suddenly said I’d take responsibility for her, the guild staff might treat it as a suspicious case. (E/N: 🤣)

◇◆◇

After returning to the guild and finishing the sale of materials, I told the male staff member about what had just happened.

The young staff member made a troubled face.


“Hmm… I thought that party would be a good fit.”


He glanced at the girl.

She simply shrank back, murmuring, “I’m sorry…”.

Well, the guild had at least tried to handle it. But at this rate, nothing would be resolved.

Reluctantly, I proposed what I’d been considering.


“Would it be possible for me to form a party with her for a while?”


“Huh? Uh… Soushi-san, was it? You mean you?”


The staff member suddenly looked suspicious. Well, of course, a middle-aged guy saying he’d take care of a beautiful girl was suspicious as hell.


“I’m E-rank, and I think I can guide her until she gets used to F-class dungeons. After that, she can join another party.”


“Well… yes, that wouldn’t be a problem. Adventurers can form parties by mutual agreement, so the guild has no say in that.”


“I see.”


Leaving the staff member, who still seemed like he wanted to say something, I turned to the girl.


“So, how about it? I’ll teach you until you can fight in a dungeon like a normal adventurer.”


“Yes, eh…?”


She widened her eyes at me, then bowed and said, “Please take care of me”.

Even if she had no other options, that was a quick decision. She’d been crying just moments ago, maybe she recovered quickly.


“Then it’s settled. Let’s work together.”


With that, I left the guild with her, ignoring the strange look from the staff member.

(E/N: The staff got hella sus 😂)

◇◆◇

Her name was Freynil.

Apparently, in this country, the length of a name indicated the status of the family one was born into. Like Crimson Anatolia, Freynil also seemed to be from a good family.

However, she didn’t seem to want to talk about her background. I had my own reasons for hiding my own background, so I didn’t press her about it.

She had the bare minimum equipment, but there were things she lacked, so I bought them for her before returning to the inn.

After arranging a room for Freynil, we sat together in the dining hall for a meal. She hesitantly spoke.


“Um… Soushi-sama, why are you helping me?”


“There’s no particular reason. To me, helping is just the natural thing to do.”


“Because it’s natural, is it… Is that the teaching of the Aashram religion?”


“Aashram religion?”


“You don’t know it?”


“Yeah, I’m not very knowledgeable about that sort of thing.”


Now that I thought about it, there had been church-like buildings in Tolson, Euron, and here in Menage. Naturally, this world had religion too, but I hadn’t had the time to learn about it in just a month.


“The Aashram religion is a faith that teaches people to live righteously under the guidance of the chief god Aashram. Do you follow a different god, Soushi-sama?”


“Something like that. I suppose part of why I’m helping you does align with those teachings.”


When I said that, Freynil looked satisfied. It seemed she relied on that religion as a mental anchor, so having a clear reason rooted in belief made sense to her.


“Then I understand. I’m sorry for doubting your kindness.”


“No, it’s important to clarify things you don’t understand. Oh right, I’ll be teaching you how to fight, but the training will be harsh, so be prepared. You’ll need proper training before entering a dungeon. As long as you’re in my party, there are no days off.”


“Yes, I understand. I’ll do my best to live up to your kindness, Soushi-sama.”


Yeah… she really is from a well-to-do family.

And because of that, she had some fragile points too. I might have to teach her about those gradually as well.


——————
E/N:

Freynil-chan, Ganbare! Fighto!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing