Ossan Saikyō Chapter 4 Part 07
The next day, after working up a light sweat, I went to the merchant guild, where the beastman couple Gashi and Nari were waiting.
It seemed they were transporting daily goods to the town of Menage this time, and their cart was packed full.
After meeting up, we left Euron together and headed straight down the road toward Menage.
Around Euron, fields stretched out in every direction, creating a very pastoral landscape.
Chatting casually with Gashi and Nari as I walked, we reached a relay village before sunset.
“Wouldn’t it be funny if another Moon Wolf showed up like last time?”
Inside the traveler’s hut on the outskirts of the village, Gashi said that.
We’d both already had a bit to drink. Nari was lying down, half-asleep.
“I checked the guild’s subjugation requests briefly, there weren’t any posted for this area.”
“Yeah? Well, if there were, I wouldn’t be coming here either.”
“So if there’s clearly danger from monsters along the road, you wait until it’s dealt with?”
“Usually, yeah. But if it’s urgent, sometimes we hire adventurers as escorts.”
“I see.”
I had heard that besides subjugation requests, adventurers also got that kind of work. Escorting nobles, for example, was apparently common.
Of course, those kinds of jobs would only go to adventurers with connections and trust.
“Maybe we’ll ask you someday too, Soushi-san. When we travel far, we need escorts after all.”
“I’m solo, so I don’t think I’d be suited for escort work.”
“Well, for long trips we form a caravan and hire multiple adventurers. Having someone who can take down a Moon Wolf alone makes a big difference in peace of mind.”
“Is that so? Well, if the time comes, I’ll be happy to help.”
I said that, but was a Moon Wolf really considered that strong?
That blunt receptionist didn’t react like it was a big deal, and the guide didn’t go into much detail about rare monsters either.
(E/N: Yeah, the receptionist is a cool-headed beauty and the guide is meant for normal Awakeners not you, Ossan 😂)
Well, high-rank monsters rarely appeared along main roads unless something unusual happened. Maybe for this area, that level was more than enough.
Taking requests sounded interesting too. Once I had a better grasp of the risks involving people, I might try accepting some.
◇◆◇
The night passed without incident, and we left the village early in the morning.
As we continued along the road, by around noon a large lake came into view in the distance. Near its shore, a small town could be seen.
Menage’s main industry was apparently aquatic products from the lake.
After about another hour of walking, we arrived. Menage was surrounded by something like a fence. The gate itself had a proper door, so perhaps field monsters occasionally appeared here.
I parted ways with Gashi and Nari at the gate. They would unload and reload their goods, then head back to Euron the next day.
As for me, I planned to clear both the E and F-class dungeons, so I’d likely stay at least four days.
After getting a room at the inn Gashi recommended, I headed to the adventurer’s guild.
It was about the same size as Tolson’s, but there were fewer adventurers. Probably because there were fewer dungeons.
There was a male staff member at the counter. After greeting him, I got permission to access the guide.
There was someone else in the archive room, unusually. A young woman… or rather, a girl.
Most people Awakened between the ages of 15 and 25, so it wasn’t strange, but judging by her profile, she didn’t even look 15.
Well, with Awakened, appearance and actual capability didn’t always match, and if she had a party, it should be fine… but it still made me wonder if she’d be okay.
“Excuse me.”
(E/N: The Japanese are some of the really polite people on Earth so if they enter a room where someone or a few people are present, they apologise for intruding on their space. This "Excuse me" means "Sorry for intruding while you were doing something!")
I said as I approached the shelf where she was seriously reading a guide, then picked up another booklet.
“Ah, sorry…”
(E/N: 😂 As I previously explained, the people being apologised to also return an apology to they are not someone high and mighty and that they don't mind for the other person's intrusion, well intrusion isn't exactly what is happening here but you understand!)
“No, it’s fine. You’re really focused.”
When I said that, she looked up at me timidly.
That’s when I noticed, she was a very cute girl.
(E/N: Aye man, you a 40-something guy, stop that! 😂 Okay, I'll stop yapping)
Blonde hair and blue eyes weren’t that rare in this world, but her twin-tied hair had no curls at all, which was unusual. Her face was delicate, almost doll-like, and her timid eyes didn’t look like those of someone who fought monsters.
She wore what looked like a simple white dress with a thick vest over it. Anyhow, you could call it a mage-like outfit… maybe.
Since she was reading the guide, she had probably just Awakened. But the fact that someone who looked like a sheltered noble girl had been chosen… felt a bit cruel.
“…Yes. I didn’t know anything about adventurers before.”
“If I may ask, did you recently Awaken?”
“Yes, two days ago.”
Yeah, I thought so. The fact that someone like her could be chosen at random really was a problem.
“So… you don’t have a party yet?”
“No. The guild said they’re trying to find people for me…”
I see. The guild wasn’t just leaving her alone, at least. She wasn’t like me.
“To be honest, I’ve only been an adventurer for a little over a month myself. Being suddenly told to do this is overwhelming, isn’t it?”
“Really? Are you alone too?”
“Yes. I’ve managed somehow so far… but I wouldn’t recommend it.”
“I thought so… I’ve never even imagined fighting monsters. I don’t think I can do it… I don’t know what to do.”
For her to say that to someone she’d just met, she must have been really anxious.
If she was truly as she appeared, there was no way she could suddenly dive into a dungeon and start killing monsters for a living.
Then again, there were plenty of teenage girls among adventurers. Maybe they had all gone through the same thing.
“I understand feeling scared and anxious. If you’d like, I can tell you a bit about F-class dungeons. It might make things easier than going in blind.”
“Eh…? That would be very helpful, but… wouldn’t it be a bother?”
“I just became an adventurer myself, so I understand. And there are things not mentioned in the guide.”
Since it didn’t feel like someone else’s problem, I told her what I knew about F-class dungeons.
I thought having information might ease her mind… but judging by her expression when I finished, it seemed to have only made her more anxious.
“The more I hear… the more I feel like I can’t do it… I’m sorry, even though you took the time to explain…”
“No, it’s natural to feel scared. But people get used to things eventually.”
I couldn’t bring myself to say, “If you don’t get used to it, you won’t survive”. But that was the reality. This world was harsh enough that those who couldn’t adapt would simply die somewhere.
After that, the girl buried herself in the guide again, as if shutting herself away.
With nothing more to say, I finished reading the guide and left the guild.
——————
E/N:
In the modern world, just an unknown old man talking to a little girl would bring about suspicion so great, the freaking SWAT would drag away the man!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments