Ossan Saikyō Chapter 2 Part 06
The next day, I dove into the Great Tree Dungeon again.
Upon reaching the fourth floor, I encountered a new fodder monster I hadn’t seen the day before, a “Killer Worm”.
It was an earthworm-type monster about 3 meters long and roughly 30 centimeters thick. At its tip was a circular mouth lined with rows of teeth, grotesque enough to make some people faint just from looking at it.
(E/N: Lamprey looking ahh monstrosity, yuck!)
It crept forward slowly, then suddenly contracted about half its body before stretching out and lunging at me.
Of course, that level of movement was easily handled by my【Dynamic Acuity】and【Reflex】.
I dodged instinctively, regained my footing, and smashed the middle of its body with my mace.
GYUOOoo!!
The Killer Worm let out a shriek. Before it could turn its head toward me, I crushed its mouth along with its head using my mace, and it lost all strength, dissolving into the dungeon floor.
I picked up the mana stone and a fist-sized lump of metal it dropped. Why a worm drops metal… well, thinking too hard about that probably means you lose (E/N: your mind, that is).
On the fifth floor, Killer Worms started appearing in pairs, but as long as I maneuvered properly and turned it into one-on-one fights, it wasn’t a problem.
If you get behind them and crush their bodies, they weaken dramatically, probably an easy monster for a party.
Anyway, I eventually arrived before a large wooden door. Needless to say, the Boss room lay beyond.
“Don’t tell me it’s another rare Boss…”
I almost said “No way, right?”, but stopped myself… that kind of thinking might raise a bad flag. There’s no way my luck (or bad luck) is that extreme… probably. Still, mental preparation matters in battle.
After checking my equipment, I opened the door. Just like in the Great Rock Dungeon, it was a Boss room about the size of a basketball court.
The door closed behind me, and black mist began to gather at the far end. Same as before, but… isn’t there more of it this time?
From the mist, which seemed twice as dense as before, emerged something whose torso was about the size of a medium dog: a “Killer Bee Soldier”.
Not a rare boss, just a normal one… But…
“Why are there two of them?”
That’s right, there were two Killer Bee Soldiers.
No one mentioned this… Does that mean this is another first-time occurrence?
“Well, no choice but to deal with it.”
I set down my pack and readied my mace and buckler.
The number had doubled, but the boss itself was normal. The attack patterns should match what I was told.
As I slowly closed the distance, the two Bee Soldiers split left and right, each keeping space between us.
Then both raised their abdomens high and snapped them down.
Hyun!
With a sharp slicing sound, their venomous stingers shot toward me, a projectile attack meant to catch you off guard.
I leapt sideways to dodge and immediately closed in on one of them. I knew they couldn’t fire continuously.
But hitting a Bee Soldier focused on evasion wasn’t easy. My mace swung through empty air repeatedly, and in that time, their stingers reloaded.
A second volley. I dodged again without issue. The firing motion is large, so it’s not that hard to avoid, but my attacks aren’t landing either.
Dodge the stinger. Swing and miss. Dodge again. Miss again.
After repeating that seven or eight times, I realized, this is bad. It’s turning into an infinite loop.
“Damn it… if they attacked like normal Killer Bees, I could counter them.”
The moment I muttered that, it clicked. If they won’t come in, I’ll force a counter myself.
Just then, they finished reloading. They’d create distance and fire again.
I picked one and slowly closed the gap.
It raised its abdomen. Now.
I dashed forward with full force. There’s a moment of vulnerability right as they fire, that’s what I aimed for.
The Bee Soldier flicked its abdomen. The stinger flew. My buckler deflected it. And my mace… missed.
“Ugh!”
A stinger had pierced my thigh. That slight hesitation dulled my step.
The other Bee Soldier must have predicted my movement. Otherwise, that shouldn’t have hit.
I forcibly pulled out the pencil-thick stinger. Pain surged up from my thigh. So this is the poison.
I reached for the pouch at my waist. Of course, I had antidote potions prepared.
But then the two Bee Soldiers suddenly closed in. The irritating clacking sound came from their massive mandibles.
…So they see their chance and go for a bite, huh. Annoying bastards.
My vision turned red. Blood? No… this is-!
“UooOOO!”
I roared and brought my mace down on one of them.
Its head burst apart in an instant.
In that opening, the other latched onto my right arm. The bite force was insane, strong enough to crush not just flesh, but bone.
“Get crushed already, you damn bug!”
Instead of pulling my arm away, I forced it in further, then slammed the Bee Soldier into the ground. Again and again, until its head caved in completely.
Before I knew it, both Bee Soldiers had dissolved into the dungeon floor, leaving behind magic stones and bags of high-grade honey.
“Hah… haa… incredible… this【Fury】skill…”
Apparently I’d been shouting things I’d never normally say… but if I’m in an excited state, it can’t be helped.
A heavy fatigue and chill spread through my body, and I quickly downed an antidote potion. The wounds on my arm and thigh had already begun regenerating.
“Well then… since this was irregular, I’d better get a good skill.”
After standing still for a while, that familiar sensation of knowledge flowing into my mind appeared.
“Let’s see… this is the【Stability】skill, huh.”
Not particularly rare, but one I’d been curious about. It seems to stabilize footing, even ignoring physical laws.
Considering how hard that fight was, it feels kind of average… just as I thought that, another wave of knowledge permeated my mind.
“【Steel Body】… getting two special skills at once? Now that’s lucky.”
As the name suggests,【Steel Body】strengthens the body like steel, basically a defense boost. It’s not ultra-rare, but combined with【Regeneration】, it greatly improves survivability.
After collecting the materials, I left the Great Tree Dungeon in high spirits.
And of course, it goes without saying, I spent the remaining time happily training.
——————
E/N:
Getting two skills at the same time is crazy! Ossan's turning more and more powerful (physically).
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments