Ossan Saikyō Chapter 2 Part 05
“Eh!? Huh!? Okuno-san, you defeated the Boss by yourself!?”
When I asked to sell the materials, the receptionist Kisara let out a completely stunned shout, making me flinch involuntarily.
“Yes, I did. Was there some kind of problem?”
“Ah, sorry. It’s not that it’s a problem, it’s just… almost no one challenges a Boss solo.”
“Is that so?”
“Yes. Especially not at F-rank. Even if they try… they usually don’t come back…”
“Ah…”
“But in that case, congratulations. This brings you much closer to E-rank.”
“If I remember right, defeating a Boss is one of the conditions for E-rank promotion. Is it the biggest hurdle?”
“Yes, it is. Though bosses in F-class dungeons aren’t too bad if you’re in a party. Higher-class dungeon bosses, on the other hand, are much tougher.”
“There’s a D-class dungeon in this town too, right? I guess that one’s difficult as well.”
“Yes. These days it’s not as bad, but in the past there were cases where entire parties went in and no one came back.”
“That’s scary.”
The guild guide here is actually quite detailed, including boss information. Apparently, it was created fairly recently by order of someone high up in the guild who’s very capable. For a newcomer like me, that’s a huge help.
“Hm? Okuno-san, are these materials from the boss?”
Kisara was holding the two impressive horns.
“Yes. The boss had horns. It wasn’t in the guide, so it surprised me.”
“Eh? Then… could that have been a rare Boss?”
“I’m not sure… A rare Boss is something that appears very infrequently, right?”
“Exactly. And it’s the first time a rare boss has appeared in that dungeon. In that case, we’ll need to hear the details. Would that be alright?”
So it really was rare. And the first one ever, at that… Was I really that lucky? Or maybe it’s the opposite… if the difficulty increased, then I was just unlucky. That explanation makes more sense.
“Of course. I’ll tell you everything. The guide has helped me a lot, after all.”
And so, I was once again led to the back room. The horns, however, would need to be appraised by headquarters, so their purchase would be delayed.
Also, the special skill I obtained【Regeneration】is apparently quite rare. It makes sense that a rare Boss would drop a rare Skill.
Hmm… in that case, maybe I really was lucky. If this is a good omen, I’ll take it.
◇◆◇
━━━━━━━━━━
Adventurer Level 6
Weapon Skills
【Mace】Lv.8
【Dagger】Lv.4
【Martial Arts】Lv.4
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.7
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.8
【Strength】Lv.9
【Speed】Lv.8
【Surge】Lv.9
【Reflex】Lv.7
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.6
【Hearing】Lv.5
【Scent】Lv.3
【Touch】Lv.3
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.7
【Presence Detection】Lv.6
Mental Skills
【Composure】Lv.5
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.4
【Fury】Lv.1 (NEW)
Special Skills
【Regeneration】Lv.1 (NEW)
━━━━━━━━━━
Lying on the bed at the inn, I organized my thoughts.
As for my status,【Fury】is a skill I inferred from what I felt during the Boss fight. I’m guessing it’s something like entering an excited state and boosting attack power.
【Regeneration】is exactly what it sounds like. Thinking about it, having this skill reduces potion usage, which makes it very wallet-friendly.
Now then, the question is what to do next. I’ve defeated the Boss of the Great Rock Dungeon, so the next logical step is to head to the other F-class dungeon.
You can only obtain one special skill per dungeon. If I want to get stronger, I need to clear as many dungeons as possible.
Naturally, lower-class dungeons only grant lower-rarity skills. The【Regeneration】I got is something that normally only appears in D-class dungeons or higher, and even then, the acquisition rate is low.
Anyway, I’ve already gathered information on the other F-class dungeon from the guide. I plan to ask Kaim as well, but today our meal times didn’t line up.
Even so, I won’t go straight to the Boss room right away.
Oh right, my clothes got completely wrecked during that boss fight. Looks like it’s finally time to part with the shirt I carried over from my previous life.
Once I do, I’ll truly become a resident of this world. That might not be a bad thing.
Thinking about that, my consciousness gradually faded.
◇◆◇
The other F-class dungeon was located in a forest a short distance from town.
Following the marks carved into trees, I found a massive tree formed by several trunks fused together, with a large hollow opening at its base.
A strange sight, but apparently all dungeon entrances are like this.
There should be several parties here, but the advance groups were already gone. After checking my equipment again, I entered the dungeon.
Unlike the Great Rock Dungeon, the walls here had a bark-like texture. It’s interesting how the environment changes depending on the dungeon.
Following the mapped route, my【Presence Detection】reacted. A loud buzzing could be heard, must be one of this dungeon’s monsters, a “Killer Bee”.
What appeared was a giant bee about the size of a crow. At the tip of its abdomen was a barbed stinger that looked painfully dangerous.
After spotting me, it swayed slightly left and right before charging straight at me, clearly aiming to stab.
Crunch!
But my【Dynamic Acuity】,【Reflex】, and【Surge】easily handled its movement. I smashed it mid-charge with a counter, and the Killer Bee was blown apart.
“It's fast, but still just F-class.”
What dropped was a mana stone and something like a swollen water balloon. When I picked it up, I could feel liquid inside. Apparently, it was honey. This world actually has fairly developed sweets.
I stored the honey-filled sac in a special bag and continued deeper into the dungeon.
◇◆◇
In the end, I climbed to the fourth floor before turning back (the Great Tree Dungeon was an ascending type).
Aside from Killer Bees, another monster appeared, a giant praying mantis called “Killer Scissors”.
It was somewhat troublesome at first, but once I realized I could just counter its attacks and break its scythe arms, it became easy, just another fodder enemy.
Overall, even within F-class, the Great Tree Dungeon is slightly more difficult than the Great Rock Dungeon. Without well-developed【Reflex】and similar skills, it would be tough.
“Okuno-san, you started the forest dungeon today, right?”
Back at the guild, as I handed over materials, Kisara looked at the honey sacs and confirmed.
“Yes. I want to obtain as many special skills as possible, as soon as I can.”
“I understand that, but it’s too soon to move on. And you haven’t been resting at all, have you?”
“Well… that’s true…”
Watching Kaim’s group, they seem to operate on a cycle like one day in the dungeon, two days off.
Given that it’s life-threatening physical labor, that’s probably normal. But for me, I don’t really have anything else to do, and getting stronger is basically anti-aging, so I keep going back into dungeons.
Even so, I don’t really understand why I don’t feel any fear toward these life-or-death battles…
“But if you’re chasing strength like that, once you clear the forest dungeon, you’ll leave for another city, won’t you? That’s a bit sad.”
“Thank you. Well, that’s still a ways off. And I’ll probably come back once I reach D-rank.”
“Ah, that’s true. But first, you need to reach E-rank. Actually, you’re very close already, so do your best.”
Hmm… hearing that makes me want to go defeat the boss tomorrow. Kisara probably didn’t expect her encouragement to push me like this.
——————
E/N:
Ossan, take a day off, damnit! You're making us look lazy 😂!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments