Soul Devourer Chapter 7 Episode 69 — Cleaning Up After the War
The man I had finally been waiting for, Rex, one of America’s〘Regalia〙.
He had attacked me with a level of violence that surpassed even my current (base) strength, enhanced by the effect of【Peerless】, integrated into【Skanda】.
But I crushed him beneath overwhelming violence that surpassed even his absurd stats… and Rex fell in battle.
And so, the battle against America, or rather, the war, came to an end.
♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢
The plaza in front of the S-Rank dungeon, where a vast expanse of ravaged earth stretched out in every direction.
Now then, let’s take care of everything that needs to be done, one thing at a time.
First, enhancing《Dáinsleif》.
I went around to the corpses of〈Mighty Warriors〉, Angelica, and Rex in turn, absorbing every last drop of blood that had spilled out, as well as the blood remaining inside their bodies.
What changes this caused, if any.
Once things settled down, I’d check in detail, along with the spoils of war.
Next, recovering their equipment and《Magic Pouches》.
I stripped the weapons, armor, and《Magic Pouches》from each corpse and stored them in my own《Magic Pouch》.
I’d also check their details with【Appraisal】after things had settled down.
“Good. That should do it……”
Having finished everything I needed to do, I activated【Dominion Magic】,【Azure Inferno】, both integrated into【Axiom】, and burned all of their corpses.
It would be better not to leave the corpses of these scumbags behind.
I glanced at the flames as they burned away without leaving a trace, then turned on my heel.
That left… one person.
“I don’t think he’s left the country, since the Soul's Oath prohibits him from fleeing…… but for now, I guess I’ll head to the Hunter Guild headquarters.”
♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢
Using【Void Magic】, integrated into【Axiom】, I transferred to the entrance of the Guild headquarters.
As I passed through the automatic doors and stepped inside, the receptionists and employees working at their desks all stood up at once and huddled along the wall.
……Looks like I’m not going to get any answers here.
I walked straight past the reception desk and boarded the elevator to the upper floors.
The doors opened on the top floor, and I proceeded down the long corridor toward the Guildmaster’s office.
From the moment I stepped out of the elevator,【Omniscence】, integrated into【Māyā】, had already picked up two presences inside the room.
Click!
I turned the doorknob and stepped into the office… where the Guildmaster sat deep in his chair, with Oliver standing beside him.
I slowly walked up to the front of the desk.
“……What happened to Rex and Angelica?”
The Guildmaster asked quietly.
“The fact that I’m here should answer that, shouldn’t it?”
“Indeed. I never imagined that even Rex and Angelica would be defeated……Inviting you to America was a mistake.”
“It’s only a matter of sooner or later. I was planning to visit America eventually to conquer its dungeons anyway. If I had discovered your wrongdoing then, the outcome would have been the same.”
“We lost to you this time. But America will never forgive you. Eventually, someone will appear to carry on our will.”
“If that happens, I’ll just crush them again. And besides… you speak as though you were doing something noble, but all you were doing was bullying the weak. You’d better not misunderstand that.”
“Hmph……!”
The Guild Master snorted and took a dagger from his desk drawer.
For a moment, I thought it was his final act of resistance. But without hesitation, he plunged the blade into his own chest.
“Gah……haa……if I’m going to die by your hand……I’d rather end my own life……”
“Well, if you’re going to die, I don’t really care whether it’s suicide or murder.”
As I looked down coldly, the light quietly faded from the Guildmaster’s eyes.
I shifted my gaze to Oliver.
“……Am I going to be killed too?”
His expression and voice were calm, without the slightest trace of agitation.
…Well, Oliver can wait.
When I was confronted in the entertainment district, he had been concerned about harm coming to ordinary people. Nor had he come with the other Hunters to try to kill me.
He had simply remained quietly at the Guildmaster’s side.
I hadn’t actually seen what he had been doing.
I couldn’t read what was going on inside him, but for now, I had no choice but to let him go.
“Just a warning. Make sure you run the Guild properly so you don’t end up like that Guildmaster.”
“Yes. Understood.”
And with that, I left the office.
I exited the Guild headquarters and looked up at the sky.
“……Because of me, America will be occupied with reconstruction work for a while. The S-Rank dungeon remains unconquered, but… I think I’ll leave America for now.”
Where should I go next?
China, or India?
And so, my dungeon conquest in America came to an end.
—————————
—————————
—————————————
E/N:
Shouldn't leave behind a loose end, as they say. Oliver, yeah, he's a grey area to be honest. Let's hope he doesn't fu*k up his second life!
Stay tuned!
—————————————
————————————————————
————————————————————
Comments
Thank you for reading this far!