Ossan Saikyō Chapter 12 Part 11
After returning to the waiting room, we all leaned back against the sofas with somewhat exhausted expressions.
Even Freynil looked that way, so apparently an audience in such an official setting consumed a considerable amount of mental energy.
Seeing us like that, Mr. Raylott offered some words of sympathy.
“Thank you all for your hard work. We will present your rewards shortly, but please rest here for a while. Also, Lord Soushi, I apologize, but I would like you to accompany me to His Majesty.”
“I understand.”
This too had been told to me beforehand, but His Majesty the King himself wished to speak with me directly.
I would probably be hearing about the matter concerning Freynil and that particular request, but honestly, it was a situation that made my lower abdomen rather tense.
As Mr. Raylott led me down the corridor, we came across a door guarded by soldiers.
I assumed this was the Meeting Room we were heading to, but when we reached the door, one of the soldiers informed Mr. Raylott, “His Eminence the Cardinal entered a short while ago”.
“It seems we have an unexpected visitor. I apologize, but please wait a little.”
Since Mr. Raylott said that, I decided to wait beside the door. Then, thanks to my high-level hearing skill, I could hear the voices coming from inside the room. I knew it was probably a bad idea, but I couldn't help listening carefully.
「…Your Majesty, has Her Highness the Princess managed to obtain an《Elixir》?」
「No. Apparently it had already been sold. The Cardinal's information was correct, but we were simply unlucky.」
「My, that is unfortunate indeed. Were you unable to determine who purchased it?」
「Indeed. It seems some merchant bought it, and we are having them investigate that merchant now.」
「I see. Understood. We are also searching for it with all our might, so I ask that you wait a little longer.」
「I am grateful for the Church's cooperation. I leave it in your hands.」
「Yes, Your Majesty. Leave it to us.」
The conversation stopped there, and when the door opened, a man emerged from the room.
He was a somewhat overweight man dressed in white and blue clerical robes. He appeared to be around 50, with a mustache resembling a loach extending beneath his nose.
His appearance was so suspicious-looking that he seemed like the sort of person who would be a con man.
If he was a Cardinal, he should have been one of the highest-ranking people in the Church, second only to the Pope, but he looked nothing like the image I had of such a person.
He gave us a disinterested glance before briskly walking away.
After the Cardinal left, more of the conversation from inside the room could be heard.
「…To say that they are searching with all their might is such an obvious lie to His Majesty. Do they really think we have not realized that they already have it?」
「I know what they are thinking, but for now we have no choice but to pretend that we are relying on them. Hopefully we can somehow obtain it through another route.」
「The information in question is suspicious as well. They must have deliberately informed His Majesty in order to curry favor, but making Her Highness the Princess go all that way for nothing is an act of the utmost disrespect.」
「Hmm. How should we deal with them when they bring the medicine? It would be fine if all they wanted in exchange was merely to use the『Royal Keystone』.」
It was presumably a conversation between His Majesty the King and his close aide. Apparently, some sort of tug-of-war was taking place between the Royal Family and the Church over the《Elixir》.
From the atmosphere, it seemed that the Church was attempting to use the《Elixir》as a bargaining chip for some ulterior purpose.
Now, what should I do about this...? That thought was interrupted by Mr. Raylott's voice.
“Thank you for waiting.”
At his prompting, I entered the room, where four people were waiting.
One was a middle-aged man who possessed an imposing presence that made it immediately obvious he was His Majesty the King. His brown hair was slicked back, and he had a neatly trimmed beard around his mouth.
Beside him sat the man who had served as his aide earlier. He was a handsome, mature man with long gray hair flowing down his back.
Those two were presumably the ones who had been having the conversation I had just overheard.
Standing behind His Majesty were two knightly guards who appeared to be Awakened.
One was the handsome young Lord Hershville, whom I had met only recently, while the other was a beautiful, mature Demonkin woman carrying a staff nearly as tall as she was.
Her faintly blue skin and greenish-black hair, braided down her back, gave her an exotic air.
“Soushi-dono, welcome. Please, have a seat.”
“Excuse me.”
I followed the King's instructions and sat down in the chair opposite him.
“First of all, I wish to thank you once again for defeating the Twilight Kin. Had you not been there, there would have been considerable casualties.”
“Yes, Your Majesty. From my perspective, I merely did what was expected of me as an adventurer, but I am honored if my actions were of service to Your Majesty.”
“Indeed. It was truly fortunate, both for me and for my people. However, I have heard that you fought the Twilight Kin alone and barehanded. Is that really true?”
“Yes. The Twilight Kin took numerous adventurers hostage and forced me into a one-on-one fight without weapons.”
“The other side demanded such conditions? The Twilight Kin truly seems to be an existence beyond our understanding… Yet you accepted the battle on its terms and still managed to defeat it. That must mean you are an exceptionally powerful man.”
“I suppose that is the result. However, as I am still inexperienced, I am unable to properly gauge the extent of my own strength.”
“From the way you speak, you seem to be as discerning a man as Count Lautrec and Viscount Varius told me. It was fortunate that you discovered the daughter of Duke Armand.”
“I am also grateful that she agreed to join my party.”
“Hmm…”
At that, His Majesty slightly furrowed his brows.
As far as Freynil was concerned, I imagine the Royal Family's position was somewhat complicated. Those who become Awakened are required to become adventurers at least once, even if they are nobles.
In that case, there was nothing particularly problematic about Freynil's current situation.
After all, since the Ducal family had cast Freynil out and considered the matter settled, even the Royal Family should not have been able to interfere too strongly.
“As for her, my daughter was extremely concerned about her. However, we were unable to obtain accurate information from the Ducal family, leaving us unable to do anything. Regarding that, I believe my daughter behaved rather discourteously toward you the other day.
…
However, she had always doted on the Ducal daughter like a younger sister, so I ask that you understand her feelings and forgive her.”
The phrase “I ask that you forgive her” could be interpreted as rather arrogant, but perhaps even if it was done privately, the King, as the representative of the nation, could not afford to offer a direct apology.
Even acknowledging the Princess' mistake was undoubtedly a significant gesture.
“Yes. I believe Her Highness's words were entirely understandable under the circumstances.”
“I am grateful for your generosity. Now, returning to the matter at hand, I believe you understand that today's ceremony was not held solely for the purpose of bestowing your reward.
…
The『Hero』who defeated the Twilight Kin, a former duke's daughter, a High Elf, and the daughter of the chief of a beastman tribe... There are few adventurers with as much political value as your party. You understand that, do you not?”
“To some extent.”
“That is why we wished to make it clear as soon as possible that you are under the awareness of the Royal Family. Of course, this does not mean that we intend to interfere with your activities as adventurers.
…
Such an act would be prohibited under our agreement with the Guild.”
“Yes, Your Majesty.”
“However, as you continue your activities, I would like you to remain conscious of the political implications. Whether you like it or not,〈Saul's Guidance〉has already attracted attention.
…
Should you choose to side with any particular faction, a corresponding amount of friction will inevitably arise. I urge you to be extremely careful.”
“I understand. For the time being, I intend to continue acting simply as an adventurer.”
“Indeed. That would be for the best. Now, the reason I summoned you here today, aside from conveying that, was because there are several matters I wish to request of you. Julios.”
The King turned his gaze toward the man sitting beside him. I had called him an aide, but anyone seated beside the King had to be a person of considerable rank.
The designated aide, Mr. Julios, bowed and began to speak.
“I am Julios Calkasand, appointed Chancellor of Vermilion Kingdom. I look forward to working with you.”
“My name is Soushi. It is a pleasure to meet you.”
Good grief, he was the Chancellor despite looking young enough to still be considered a young man from my perspective.
As the number two in the country, he would need not only ability, but also personal connections, trust, and all sorts of political influence. The fact that he possessed all of that at such a young age was formidable in itself.
“I shall explain the requests. First, we would like to ask you to escort a certain person. Your destination will be Garouz, the capital of the Orz Kingdom. I believe Soushi-dono may know the person in question.”
“Lady Shizuna of the Orz Kingdom? I escorted her once before.”
“That is correct. She is an adventurer, belonging to the ruling class of the Orz Kingdom, and it has been decided that she will return to the capital of Orz.
…
However, as it is a country with which we have no diplomatic relations, we cannot send an official delegation. Therefore, we would like to entrust this request to〈Saul's Guidance〉, as you are adventurers.”
“So adventurers are allowed to enter the Orz Kingdom.”
“Precisely. Furthermore, the reason we specifically chose〈Saul's Guidance〉is because Lady Shizuna herself requested it. She strongly insisted that if she were to be escorted, it should be your party.”
I had given Lady Shizuna a comfortable journey before, so that was probably the reason. She had also seemed to become quite friendly with the women in our party, so I could understand why she would request us for a long journey.
Still, the fact that she could make such a demand, given her situation, showed that she had quite some guts...
“And there is one more matter. We would like you to demonstrate to us at least a portion of just how much power you possess as an adventurer.
…
Knowing how much strength is required to defeat a Twilight Kin is extremely important information when it comes to protecting the Kingdom.”
“By demonstrate, what exactly would you have me do?”
His Majesty the King answered my question.
“As you know, beneath this castle lies a classless dungeon known as the『Royal Keystone』. I would like you to enter that dungeon together with Hershville and Meldorza, who are here with us, and demonstrate your strength by fighting the monsters within.
…
You will only need to go as far as the 5th floor, and you may keep everything you obtain in the dungeon. What say you?”
—————————————
E/N:
They just wanna know Ossan's mettle, huh… And he gets to keep the drops!? Nice! And that Cardinal's a small time villanous geezer!
Also, note:
Ozu → Orz (it sounds funnier 😂, because 'orz' is as if someone's kneeling to apologise)
Stay tuned!
—————————————
————————————————————
————————————————————
Comments