Ossan Saikyō Chapter 11 Part 02
“So, that's how it is. We'll be putting the other C-Rank dungeon on hold and heading for Balbadoza the day after tomorrow. It wasn't really a request I could refuse, so I hope you'll all understand.”
Back at the inn, I gathered everyone in our room and explained the Count's request.
The members of〈Saul's Guidance〉, however, didn't react all that strongly.
“If Soushi-sama judged that we should accept it, then I'm sure it's the right decision.”
“Well, if the Count personally asks you, there's really no way to refuse. It feels a little strange leaving the C-Rank dungeon unfinished, but I guess it can't be helped.”
“I don't see any particular problem with it either. Besides, Soushi-san, isn't the fact that it's an undead-related incident what really caught your attention?”
At Sphenia's words, I nodded.
“That's exactly right. An undead outbreak happening at this timing... I just can't ignore it.”
“Hm... Even so, it feels like it doesn't necessarily have to be us. Balbadoza is a big city, isn't it? I'd imagine there are plenty of strong parties there.”
Rani had a point.
Still, I thought I understood what the Count was thinking.
“I imagine the Count also wants to gauge our abilities. After all, the ones who defeated a member of the Twilight Kin this time were a completely unknown adventurer party. I doubt he'd judge us based solely on the report that we defeated one.”
“Nobles really are a pain. Even when there's proof, it's still not enough?”
“It's not that he doubts we defeated the Twilight Kin. He wants to know whether it was simply a fluke. Since he's reporting this to the Royal Family, it's only natural that he'd want to verify things himself.
…
Though... it could also be that he doesn't want to send his own strongest forces to investigate an undead incident he knows nothing about.”
That was admittedly a bit of speculation.
Still, it probably wasn't too far from the truth.
People in positions of authority had their own way of thinking.
Mariane nodded in agreement.
“I believe Soushi-san is correct. In addition, the Count probably wants to establish a relationship with〈Saul's Guidance〉.
…
In any case, accepting a direct request from a Count is a significant achievement in itself. There's nothing but benefits for〈Saul's Guidance〉.”
“Hearing that makes me feel a little better. In any case, if we're fighting undead, Fray will be our biggest asset. I'm counting on you.”
The moment I said that, Freynil's face lit up.
She clasped her hands in front of her chest.
“Yes, Soushi-sama. I shall devote my heart and soul to being of service to you.”
Putting too much pressure on herself wasn't ideal...
Still, it was good to see her so motivated.
“Of course, I'm counting on the rest of you as well. Some undead are resistant to physical attacks, after all.”
Making sure not to leave anyone out, I addressed the others as well.
That was when I suddenly remembered leading project teams back in my previous life.
I see...
Being the leader of an adventurer party wasn't all that different.
◇◆◇
The following day, we spent our time training and stocking up on supplies.
We had also been hired to escort the Count to the provincial capital, Balbadoza, making it a 4-day journey.
I'd always been the cautious type, so I naturally bought more food and provisions than necessary.
【Item Box】really was the perfect skill for someone like me.
The morning after that, we joined up with the Count's entourage and departed Bartlan, seeing Governor Rodnik off behind us.
The Count's party consisted of his luxurious carriage at the center, a supply wagon, 20 soldiers, the twin bodyguards from before, and an additional 4 adventurers serving as ordinary escorts; for a total of 27 people.
According to Mariane, that was actually a surprisingly small escort.
Apparently, moving a territorial lord from place to place was no simple matter.
As for the escorts, both twins were former C-Rank adventurers, while the escort party,〈Dawn's Thunder〉, was B-Rank.
There was certainly no shortage of fighting strength.
Since the road connected the provincial capital with the region's 2nd-largest city, roadside inns had naturally been established along the route.
As expected, there was even a building reserved exclusively for the Count.
There were also small lodgings nearby intended for the guards.
However, those were reserved for the soldiers, so we ended up camping outdoors instead.
According to Rani, “It'd just be a pain if random guys kept trying to talk to us.”
In that sense, camping actually suited us better.
Nothing noteworthy happened until we reached the second roadside inn.
After the Count retired for the evening, we pitched our tents a short distance away.
After discussing things with〈Dawn's Thunder〉, we agreed to guard opposite sides of the Count's lodging.
As we were eating dinner, the female counterpart of the Count's twin bodyguards...
...Reisei, if I remember correctly...
Walked over toward us.
“Good evening~. Soushi-san, would you mind introducing me to everyone in your party~?”
“Good evening. Of course, come on over.”
Looking at her again, she really did appear to be around 20 years old.
Her short haircut and unusual way of speaking made her seem somewhat younger, but the look in her eyes belonged to someone with plenty of experience.
She had once been a C-Rank adventurer, after all.
Her appearance clearly didn't tell the whole story.
And since she'd come over here, I assumed the Count had instructed her to do so.
“Oh my~. Every single one of you is such a beautiful woman~. Soushi-san... are you that sort of man~?”
Joining our circle, Reisei casually opened with that question.
Well...
It was probably the first thing most people wondered.
“I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'that sort of man', but everyone simply ended up gathering together naturally. Let me introduce them.”
Starting with Freynil and ending with Mariane, I introduced all four of them.
“My name's Reisei~. My family has served the Count for generations~, but both my brother and I ended up becoming adventurers~. After we reached C-Rank, we were recognized as suitable to serve as the Count's bodyguards~.”
“You and your brother Reinan-san both Awakened together?”
“That's right~. Apparently it's incredibly rare~, so our family was both surprised and rather distressed~, but somehow everything worked out in the end~.”
If her family had long served the Count, then they were probably a household of respectable standing.
For both of their children to become adventurers instead must have been quite a blow.
Fortunately, they'd achieved enough success as adventurers to become the Count's personal guards.
From their family's perspective, that had to be an immense stroke of luck.
“By the way~, Mariane-san, you work for the Guild, don't you~? Does that mean you're the dedicated Guild representative of〈Saul's Guidance〉~?”
Mariane nodded.
“Yes, that's correct.”
“Oh~? Did you become their dedicated representative because they defeated one of the Twilight Kin?”
(E/N: This sentence sounds somewhat mocking towards Mariane but that's really not Reisei's intention at all. She's referring to whether she was assigned because of the achievement.)
“No. I've been assigned to them since before that.〈Saul's Guidance〉had already been recognized as an exceptionally promising party.”
“Huh~. The Guild really does have a good eye for promising parties~. That's because Soushi-san is so strong, isn't it~?”
Mariane glanced briefly at me.
Reisei was clearly trying to gauge the true capabilities of〈Saul's Guidance〉.
How much we should reveal was a difficult question.
“Yes. Soushi-san's strength has already surpassed that of an ordinary B-Rank adventurer and approaches A Rank. In addition, as you've no doubt seen, his【Item Box】is far more useful than that of most adventurers.
…
Naturally, the Guild has taken notice. Of course, the party as a whole is also highly capable, and that is equally reflected in our evaluation.”
“I see~. If someone capable of defeating one of the Twilight Kin can also transport such enormous quantities of supplies~, then gathering materials from the deepest parts of dungeons becomes much easier~.
…
I can certainly understand why the Guild values your party so highly~.”
Mariane limited herself to information that was already publicly known.
That seemed to satisfy Reisei for the time being.
Anyone could tell at a glance that Sphenia was a High Elf.
The Count had almost certainly also realized that Freynil was a Duke's exiled daughter.
Considering those factors as well, having a dedicated Guild representative attached to the party wasn't particularly strange.
Thankfully, Reisei didn't continue digging for more information.
Instead, we chatted casually about harmless topics for a while before she eventually returned to the inn.
——————
E/N:
Thank you for not being nosey, Reisei-san!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments