Soul Devourer Chapter 7 Episode 6 — A Pawn or an Obstacle
The following day.
Around eight in the morning, I had just sat down in the living room to eat the breakfast Mom had made when I received a call from the Guildmaster.
It was about yesterday's matter concerning America.
After our conversation yesterday, the Guildmaster had contacted the American side, and they had finally replied.
“They want to speak with you in person. They want you to come to America.”
They're the ones who have business with me. Why am I the one who has to go to them?
Some people might say I'm making a fuss over nothing, but the way they spoke carried an unmistakable air of arrogance befitting a nation that considered itself a Hunter superpower, and it irritated me just a little.
Apparently, the Guildmaster felt the same way.
That said, nothing would move forward unless we met.
I decided to postpone today's planned S-Rank Dungeon expedition and began making arrangements for a flight instead.
“Dad, Mom. I'm heading to America next.”
“Oh? Another trip overseas? Shouldn't you take a little break?”
“She's right, Yuito. A Hunter's body is his greatest asset. Don't push yourself too hard.”
“Thanks. But I really enjoy clearing dungeons, so I'm fine. I'll bring back more stories and souvenirs for you, so look forward to it.”
Smiling reassuringly, I finished getting ready to leave.
To be honest, dungeon expeditions weren't a burden at all.
With my current strength, even the highest difficulty S-Rank Dungeons no longer posed a real threat.
There was no need for any special preparation.
After finishing breakfast and brushing my teeth, I said, “I'm off!”, before stepping out the front door.
♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢
Washington D.C. , United States of America
6:00 PM
Hunter Guild Headquarters, Grand Conference Room
Gathered there were the Guildmaster, the〈Thirteen Warriors〉, and two〘Regalias〙.
The strongest man in America...
Rex.
He was the only man who had not attended the previous meeting where the birth of the Fourth〘Regalia〙and America's foreign policy in relation to it had been discussed.
Guildmaster Johnson slowly swept his gaze across the room before finally speaking.
“The Fourth〘Regalia〙, Yuito Matsubara, will be visiting America within the next few days.”
“Hold on.”
The Fifth〘Regalia〙, Angelica, interrupted him.
“Our previous policy was to recruit him ourselves. But he formed an alliance with Russia. The plan was supposed to be abandoned at that point. If we accept him now, we'll only be inviting unnecessary trouble.”
“You're jumping to conclusions, Angelica. It's true that Russia beat us to the punch. But we haven't failed. Depending on the terms, we can still bring him over.”
“You think he'll abandon both his homeland and his ally... for America?”
“Exactly. Even if that creates a rift in Russia's alliance, it won't matter. We would have three〘Regalias〙by then. Russia won't be able to make a move.”
Angelica let out a quiet sigh.
“...So why exactly have you gathered us here?”
“To reaffirm our policy... and to prepare for the worst. I want you all to remain nearby under the pretense of serving as my bodyguards.”
“The worst?”
Johnson's voice dropped slightly.
“If he refuses our offer, we'll eliminate him before he becomes a future obstacle.”
(E/N: Truly something an American bureaucrat would say, not beating the stereotypes, Mr. Johnson!)
Silence fell over the room.
“A rather forceful approach. But I don't have any reason to oppose it.”
The corners of Johnson's mouth curled upward.
“Tell me. Who in the world can stand against America head-on?”
“...Fair point.”
At that moment, Rex finally spoke.
“Why was I called here?”
“To kill him immediately if he refuses.”
Rex let out a contemptuous snort.
“How ridiculous. Why should I waste my time waiting around for someone I've never even met? Angelica and the others should be more than enough.”
“He's a〘Regalia〙. His true strength is unknown.”
Rex laughed through his nose.
“If he can defeat Angelica and the〈Thirteen Warriors〉by himself, then I'll step in. I won't hear any objections.”
Johnson was speechless for a moment before quietly nodding.
“...Very well. If the worst happens, I'll be counting on you.”
“Fine.”
“Angelica, you and the others will remain at headquarters. Be ready to move the moment he enters the country.”
“Understood.”
“As for you, Rex... do as you please.”
“You didn't need to tell me.”
Thus, on the American side as well, blades were quietly being sharpened.
—————————
—————————
——————
The gross, I mean seriously gross "gross" underestimation here is making me laugh!
Johnson reminds me of a certain someone and even if they are Regalia… Rex and Angelica do not possess finesse or brains of leaders from their conversation!
Well, R.I.P. in advance, I guess…🤷🏻♂️
Also, the Fifth Regalia, Angelica, was announced to the world right after Yuito became a Regalia. And the World still doesn't know of Wang Haoran's death. Just fyki!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments