Ossan Saikyō Chapter 10 Part 05
The day before our departure, I spoke to Mariane that evening, and she led us into the usual private room.
“Now then, let me explain your request. It is an escort mission, and the person to be escorted is me, Mariane. Our destination is the Bartlan Adventurers' Guild.”
Bartlan was the name of the town we were planning to travel to.
“So... does that mean you're being transferred to the Bartlan Guild, Mariane?”
“Yes. Though the transfer will only last for as long as you remain in Bartlan. Incidentally, whenever your party,〈Saul's Guidance〉, moves to another town, I will issue the same request again.”
Hmm? Could it be...?
“Excuse me, this might be presumptuous if I'm mistaken, but... from what you've just said, does that mean you'll essentially become our party's dedicated guild officer?”
“Yes, that's correct. Taking the unique nature of〈Saul's Guidance〉into consideration, I submitted a request, and it was approved by the Grandmaster of the Adventurers' Guild Headquarters. I look forward to working with you from now on.”
Mariane stated it matter-of-factly with her usual expressionless face, but even I could tell this was an exceptionally special arrangement.
“But... why are we being treated this way?”
“It was determined that your party's activities thus far require special handling. Naturally, this is an exceptional measure, but there are precedents.〈Saul's Guidance〉is not the only party to receive this kind of treatment.”
I see.
So this was an exception reserved for parties with particularly unusual skills or exceptional abilities.
The guild had likely judged our party's tendency to encounter rare monsters to be extremely valuable.
It also conveniently helped conceal the existence of my【Bad Luck】 skill, which was probably the source of that phenomenon.
From our perspective, there was no reason to refuse.
Though, I couldn't help suspecting that Freynil's and Sphenia's backgrounds also played a role in this decision...
“I understand. I look forward to working with you as well.”
And so, despite only being C-Rank, we somehow became a party with our own dedicated Guild officer.
If word of this got out, we'd attract even more attention...
Then again, perhaps it was time to simply accept that.
◇◆◇
The next morning, we met up with Mariane in front of the guild and set out on foot for Bartlan; a journey that would normally take about 4 days.
I'd expected traveling into another noble's territory to involve all sorts of troublesome procedures.
Apparently, C-Rank adventurers were completely exempt from such inconveniences.
That alone spoke volumes about how much trust the C-Rank carried.
“I never imagined Mariane-san used to be an adventurer. Did you know that, Soushi-sama?”
As we walked along the highway, Freynil looked up at me and asked.
No.
In fact, I'd only learned that this morning.
Mariane had apparently once been an adventurer herself.
Her current appearance certainly supported that claim.
She was dressed in dark purple clothing, almost black in color, resembling a shinobi outfit.
Though shinobi-like outfit might not quite do it justice.
The clothes hugged her figure closely enough that, contrary to the image she usually projected, they revealed a distinctly feminine physique.
A shortsword hung at her waist, and her armor was even lighter than Rani's, clearly designed not to hinder movement.
If I had to compare it to something from a game, she looked more like a Scout... or perhaps an Assassin?
“No, I had no idea. I always thought I could tell whether someone was an adventurer just by looking at them.”
“So you couldn't tell either... I can usually recognize adventurers, but Mariane was the only exception.”
When I glanced at Mariane, she wore the same expressionless face as always.
Though she did seem to be quietly listening in.
“Mariane-san... are you constantly suppressing your presence or something?”
Only Rani would ask something so bluntly.
Mariane's eyebrow twitched slightly.
“Yes. I do possess a skill that allows me to do something like that.”
“Oh! Then maybe that's why nobody ever goes to your counter?”
“I couldn't say. Even when I'm behaving normally, people rarely come to speak with me, so I don't believe that's the reason.”
Rani was asking questions that wandered dangerously close to a minefield.
Watching made me nervous enough that I decided to ask something I'd been wondering about myself.
“So... why did you become a Guild employee? Or rather, are there specific conditions that allow adventurers to leave that profession and become guild staff?”
“Yes. It's not widely known, but once an adventurer acquires certain skills, other career paths become available. Many of the skills adventurers obtain are useful outside of fighting monsters as well. A good example would be your【Item Box】, Soushi-san.”
“I see. You're right.【Item Box】would be incredibly useful for merchants and businesses.”
“Exactly. In my case, I possess the【Appraisal】skill, so the guild recruited me.”
“【Appraisal】? The one that lets you identify the effects of equipment and items, right?”
Rani immediately perked up.
Honestly, I was curious too.
“Yes. It also allows me to determine the authenticity and value of materials, as well as detect curses. Most major Guild branches have at least one person with the skill.”
“Then isn't someone as valuable as you becoming our dedicated officer a problem?”
“...I was originally trained for this kind of work. As an adventurer, I've already reached the limit of how far I can go. So I'd rather devote myself to helping those who can continue climbing higher.”
As Mariane answered, I caught a faint loneliness in her profile.
For some people, giving up on reaching the top as an adventurer must become a shadow that follows them forever.
Perhaps sensing the atmosphere, Sphenia, who had remained silent until now, finally spoke.
“By the way, Mariane-san, as our assigned guild officer, does that mean you could accompany us into dungeons as well?”
“Hm? Technically, yes, I could. However, I don't think I'd be able to keep up with a party of active C-Rank adventurers like yourselves. I used to be C-Rank, but I hardly enter dungeons anymore.”
“I see. Then have you ever cleared the Bartlan dungeon we're about to visit?”
“No. I've been to the Guild there once as a staff member, but never entered the dungeon.”
The moment she said that, Rani's ears twitched.
She kept glancing at me expectantly.
Honestly, I already knew what she wanted to say.
After thinking it over for a moment, I gave her a small nod.
“Oh! Then Mariane-san, why don't you come into the dungeon with us once? As the staff member assigned to our party, understanding our abilities firsthand is important too, right?”
“Huh...? Well... I suppose that's true. Are you sure?”
Mariane looked toward me.
“If it won't interfere with your duties, I think it'd be beneficial for you to see us in action at least once. It would also help you determine whether we truly deserve this special treatment.
…
Besides, I imagine you have to submit regular reports to the Guild's Grandmaster.”
“Y-Yes. Thank you for your consideration. In that case, I'll gladly accompany you once.”
And so it was decided.
Though Mariane probably had no idea...
...that this was actually part of our plan to recruit a guild employee into our ranks.
——————
E/N:
Mariane carries some darkness or simply loneliness for not being able to Dungeon dive anymore, but! Ossan, good luck! 😏
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments