Ossan Saikyō Chapter 8 — To The Elven Village | | Part 01
━━━━━━━━━━
Soushi Okuno
D-Rank
Adventurer Level 18
Weapon Skills
【Mace】Lv.23
【Longsword】Lv.8
【Dagger】Lv.4
【Martial Arts】Lv.13
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.15
【Great Shield】Lv.8
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.22
【Strength】Lv.27
【Speed】Lv.17
【Surge】Lv.17
【Reflex】Lv.16
【Body Control】Lv.7
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.13
【Hearing】Lv.11
【Scent】Lv.7
【Touch】Lv.7
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.16
【Presence Detection】Lv.12
Mental Skills
【Composure】Lv.11
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.7
【Fury】Lv.2
Special Skills
【Regeneration】Lv.5
【Stability】Lv.12
【Steel Body】Lv.9
【Whiplash】Lv.7
【Poison Resistance】Lv.2
【Might】Lv.15
【Illusion Resistance】Lv.4
【Heavy Burst】Lv.11
【Paralysis Resistance】Lv.1
【Grip】Lv.6
【Item Box】Lv.2 (NEW)
【Shockwave】Lv.2 (NEW)
Unique Skills
【Bad Luck】Lv.10
━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━
Freynil
E-Rank
Adventurer Level 13
Weapon Skills
【Spear】Lv.3
【Martial Arts】Lv.4
【Staff】Lv.9
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.4
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.10
【Strength】Lv.6
【Speed】Lv.10
【Surge】Lv.6
【Reflex】Lv.6
【Body Control】Lv.3
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.8
【Hearing】Lv.7
【Scent】Lv.4
【Touch】Lv.5
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.5
【Presence Detection】Lv.7
Mental Skills
【Courage】→【Devotion】Lv.6 (NEW)
【Concentration】Lv.9
Special Skills
【Holy Magic】Lv.10
【Divine Magic】Lv.6
【Parsimony】Lv.6
【Crucible】Lv.3
【Life Magic】Lv.4
【Poison Resistance】Lv.1
【Barrier Magic】Lv.1 (NEW)
【Dual Cast】Lv.1 (NEW)
Unique Skills
【Saint's Eye】Lv.3
Special Equipment
Mourning Staff [C-Rank]
━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━
Rani
E-Rank
Adventurer Level 14
Weapon Skills
【Longsword】Lv.16
【Dagger】Lv.4
【Martial Arts】Lv.7
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.6
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.12
【Strength】Lv.11
【Speed】Lv.17
【Surge】Lv.16
【Reflex】Lv.18
【Body Control】Lv.9
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.8
【Hearing】Lv.12
【Scent】Lv.16
【Touch】Lv.7
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.11
【Presence Detection】Lv.13
Mental Skills
【Courage】Lv.6
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.3
Special Skills
【Enchantment Magic】Lv.5
【Paralysis Resistance】Lv.1
【Cold Resistance】Lv.1
【Dash】Lv.5
【Steel Body】Lv.5
【Critical Strike】Lv.4
【Might】Lv.4
【Vault】Lv.4
【Sever】Lv.2 (NEW)
【Airstride】Lv.2 (NEW)
Unique Skills
【Jinx】Lv.3
━━━━━━━━━━
(A/N: Skill levels are only estimates.)
“Soushi-san, a Named Request has come in for your party. Please review the details and let us know whether you wish to accept it.”
When I arrived at the guild the next day, Mariane informed me in her usual expressionless manner.
“A Named Request? Who is it from?”
“Lady Hofena, the apothecary. The request is to secure Unicorn Rabbit and Bicorn Rabbit horns.”
I see. She had clearly gotten a taste for the results last time and already sent another request.
It was also a good opportunity to test the effects of my【Bad Luck】and Rani’s【Jinx】skills, so accepting it sounded worthwhile. It was a personal request, after all.
“So this time, the request is simply for us to secure the horns ourselves.”
“That’s correct. However, gathering requests provide no reward if the target item is not obtained, so you may want to think carefully before accepting. Rabbits are not monsters that normally appear often.”
“Thank you. What do you two think? I’d like to accept it.”
“As Soushi-sama wishes.”
“I’ll find them with my nose, so it’ll be fine!”
And so, we changed our plans and headed to the Forest of Horned Rabbits for the second time.
◇◆◇
“Why did you accept this request, Soushi? Because you’re interested in Hofena-san after all?”
As we walked through the forest, Rani, who was leading the way, asked that question.
Behind her, Freynil visibly flinched. I was pretty sure I had already explained that I had no feelings for Miss Hofena.
“One reason is that it’s a Named Request. Another is that I wanted to test the effects of Rani’s and my unique skills.”
“Our unique skills?”
“Rani’s【Jinx】and Soushi-sama’s【Bad Luck】... If such skills truly exist, then Soushi-sama believes we’ll encounter another rare monster, am I correct?”
“Exactly. If another rare monster appears this time too, then those skills must be extremely powerful.”
“Ah, I get it. Sounds fun. If a lot of Unicorn Rabbits appear, that’s my skill. If a Bicorn Rabbit appears, that’s Soushi’s skill.”
“That’s probably how it works.”
About an hour after we started wandering through the forest while chatting, Rani’s ears suddenly twitched.
“Looks like we hit the jackpot. There’s a group up ahead.”
I see. At the very least, Rani’s【Jinx】was clearly powerful. Though perhaps the fact that we were even encountering these normally rare rabbits was due to my【Bad Luck】. It might even be a synergistic effect causing us to find entire groups.
◇◆◇
We spent the entire day roaming the forest and ended up taking down 37 Unicorn Rabbits and 1 Bicorn Rabbit.
Yes, another rare monster had appeared.
No skill orb dropped this time, but there was no denying that this encounter rate was abnormal. The question was how much of this should be made public...
To be honest, if word got out, it would definitely cause trouble.
This time couldn’t be helped, but I might need to meet Miss Hofena again and ask her to keep quiet.
When we returned to the Guild that evening, I asked Mariane if we could handle the delivery in a private room.
In the room she led us to, Mariane prepared her ledger and looked at me suspiciously.
“You seem to have a reason for this. Why exactly did you request a private room?”
“Please take a look at this.”
I opened my【Item Box】and placed today’s haul on the table.
Mariane’s eyebrow twitched when she saw the【Item Box】skill. Then her eyes grew wider and wider as 37 horns appeared one after another. When she finally saw the Bicorn Rabbit horns, her mouth fell open.
Since she was usually expressionless, it was obvious how shocked she was.
“This is everything we obtained today. Please verify it.”
“...Ahem, yes. Please give me a moment.”
Snapping back to reality at my words, Mariane began her inspection as usual. Since everything was in proper condition, it was finished quickly.
“I can confirm 37 Unicorn Rabbit horns and 1 pair of Bicorn Rabbit horns. But to obtain all this in a single day...”
“This is why I requested a private room. This really is abnormal, isn’t it?”
“Yes, I believe it is highly abnormal. If it had happened only once, it could be dismissed as coincidence. But twice in a row... And considering all of your previous activities, it’s reasonable to conclude that you possess some sort of special skill.”
“I understand. However, I would prefer that this not become widely known. That is why I requested this arrangement.”
Mariane covered her mouth thoughtfully for a moment before nodding.
“I understand your reasoning. If people learned that you possessed a skill that allows encounters with rare monsters, it would certainly create all sorts of complications. The Guild will have to manage this information very carefully.”
“I would appreciate that. Though I’m still only D Rank. Even if I do possess such a skill, I have no idea what rank of monsters it affects. If it only works up to D-rank monsters, it may not be all that valuable.”
“No, even the Bicorn Rabbit horn alone is an extremely valuable medicinal ingredient. In any case, I will process this as a completed Named Request. ...And it may be wise to discreetly ask Lady Hofena to keep quiet as well.”
A very thoughtful suggestion. It was moments like this that reminded me how capable Mariane really was. Meeting her must have been thanks to【Bad Luck】too.
(E/N: Such a hypocritical sentence 😂!)
“Yes, I intend to do that. Could you tell me where she is?”
“In that case, I’ll be delivering these items to Lady Hofena tomorrow. It would be best if you accompanied me.”
That certainly made things easy.
Afterward, we received our reward, completed our usual training, and returned to the inn.
——————
E/N:
Cool-headed secretaries are the best!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments