Ossan Saikyō Chapter 7 Part 05

When we returned to the Guild and lined up the rare Boss’s mana stone and materials (a magnificent, glossy, black horn) on the counter, the receptionist Mariane’s eyes gleamed.


“Soushi-san, did you encounter another rare boss?”


“Yes. And this time, it appeared together with the normal Boss.”


When I added the normal Boss’s material (a brown horn), Mariane’s eyes sparkled even more.


“I would like to hear the details in the back.”


And so, we were taken in for questioning again. It seemed this was an unprecedented case.


“Soushi-san, you might possess some kind of special skill.”


After hearing the full report, Mariane closed the ledger and said that.


“You mean a skill that increases the encounter rate of rare monsters?”


“Yes. Otherwise, the abnormality of your subjugation record cannot be explained. Normally, even a diligent party encounters only two or three rare monsters in a year. This has been statistically confirmed by the guild.”


“I see. In that case, my encounter rate is certainly abnormal.”


“However, no such skill has been confirmed so far. Skills that increase encounter rates or dungeon spawn numbers are known, though.”


Mariane glanced at Rani. I see, so the【Jinx】skill was already known.


“Where can such a skill be verified?”


“It can be verified at the Aashram Temple in the Royal Capital. However, a donation of 10 million Rom is required.”


“What!? That’s a total rip-off!”


Rani reacted, but I felt the same. Freynil let out a small sigh and lowered her gaze, perhaps ashamed of the church’s greed as a former Saint candidate.


“Why is it so expensive?”


“According to the church, it requires an extremely rare magical device. And that device itself consumes a large amount of mana stones to operate.”


“Is that why the guide doesn’t have detailed information about skills?”


“That’s correct. In reality, knowledge about skills comes only from what some high-ranking individuals disclose and from adventurers’ own experiences.”


I see. So that’s why adventurers only have partial knowledge about skills. It also explains why methods like visualizing and training specific skills haven’t become widespread.


“Understood. To be honest, I do feel like I might have such a skill. But I’ll just continue as I have been.”


“Yes, that would be appreciated by the Guild as well. I don’t know of any party as diligent as yours. We look forward to your continued work.”


With that, Mariane stood and gave a polite bow.

I hadn’t realized we were being evaluated like that… but even at my age, being acknowledged still feels good.

The next day, instead of entering a new dungeon, we decided to review our equipment and test our newly acquired skills.

First, I replaced my destroyed great shield. Given my excessive strength, I bought a massive tower shield used by B-rank tanks; a thick slab made by layering multiple iron plates, something a normal person couldn’t possibly lift.

Even the Armored Minotaur’s axe should be easily blocked with this.

While I was at it, I finally decided to commission a custom-made mace. I asked the dwarf shop owner who had helped me before, and he looked exasperated.


“That mace ain’t enough for you anymore?”


The new one would be ready in a week.

As for Freynil, her staff and armor were already sufficient, so we bought her several additional outfits instead. Now that we had the【Item Box】skill, carrying extra belongings was no longer an issue.

Rani chose to keep using her current wide-bladed sword, saying it suited her well. She upgraded her armor to something lighter and more durable. Of course, she also bought some new clothes.

Overall, we now looked like a very well-equipped D-rank party. Although, being a party of an uncle accompanied by two beautiful girls made us stand out, so I would have preferred to keep a low profile, but equipment is a matter of life and death.

In the afternoon, we entered the same D-class grassland dungeon as yesterday to test our skills.

First, my【Item Box】. When activated, a black hole-like space opened in front of me, allowing me to store and retrieve items, just as expected.

However, one unexpected detail was that it wasn’t limitless. Depending on the weight, or rather mass, of the items stored, I could feel my stamina being consumed accordingly.

That said, the stamina cost was far lower than carrying items normally, and the benefit of eliminating bulk was enormous. There was no doubt it was an extremely useful skill.

When I tried storing three dark metal rods, the stamina consumption spiked significantly. On the other hand, it might serve as training for my【Vitality】skill.

In any case, it was highly compatible with my excessive strength and endurance.

Next was【Shockwave】. As expected, swinging my mace allowed me to send out invisible shockwaves in a chosen direction.

At low skill levels, it wasn’t too powerful; even at full force, it could only blow away two or three orcs five meters away and break all their bones… actually, that’s already pretty strong.

Once it levels up, clearing mobs should become much easier.

Freynil’s【Barrier Magic】created an invisible barrier, essentially a wall. It seemed to form a dome-shaped barrier centered on the user.

Its durability was still low; it would disappear if I struck it lightly, but it would likely strengthen as the level increased. From a game-like perspective, it seemed especially useful against future ‘breath attacks’ from monsters.

(E/N: Basically gaseous poison attacks.)

What was interesting was that once activated, it remained until destroyed or consciously dismissed. It might even be useful for camping. However, unfortunately, the barrier worked both ways; attacks couldn’t pass from inside either.

【Dual Cast】did exactly what its name suggested, allowing two spells to be cast simultaneously.

For example, using «Sacred Ray» would produce two beams at once. Since the casting time didn’t change, it effectively doubled the spell’s output, however, stamina consumption increased more than double.

It seemed she couldn’t yet use it for «Divine Glory».

Still, just being able to fire two «Sacred Ray» as a preemptive strike was incredibly useful. If this became known, a battle over Freynil would likely break out, so it wasn’t something we could use carelessly in public.

Rani’s【Sever】increased a weapon’s cutting power; apparently a dream skill for swordsmen. Rani already specialized in precise, lethal strikes, but now she could cleave orcs and Assault Tigers in a single blow. She was becoming seriously powerful.

Her other skill,【Airstride】, worked just as she had demonstrated, allowing her to jump again midair.

With mastery, it could enable full 3D combat. Combined with【Vault】, she could reach incredible heights, making it potentially game-breaking in certain situations.

With that, we continued testing while progressing through the dungeon, collecting all materials and even instantly defeating the normal Minotaur boss with【Dual Cast】«Sacred Ray»…

At that point, it was impossible not to realize that our strength was clearly abnormal.

The fact that we kept gaining rare skills thanks to【Bad Luck】was a huge factor. At some point, we would have to think carefully about how to use this power.

Since Mariane had already pointed it out, the Adventurers’ Guild would likely start paying attention to us as well.


——————
E/N:

Hope they get a appraisal-type magic item drop in higher tier dungeons, no need to depend on the religious BS!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing