Ossan Saikyō Chapter 4 Part 12
The next day, we entered the dungeon first thing in the morning as well.
This time, our main objective was defeating the Boss, so we kept Freynil’s combat practice to a minimum and pushed straight down to the 5th floor.
In front of the boss room, we checked our equipment, and since Freynil didn’t have the【Poison Resistance】skill, I gave her extra antidote potions.
When we entered the Boss room, black mist appeared, and from within it, the boss, a Large Slime, emerged.
But looking closely, something about it was different from the one I’d fought before. It seemed slightly larger, and the core in its center looked like it was split into three.
“Looks like a rare boss. It’s stronger than a normal one. Be careful.”
“Understood. We should attack those cores, right?”
“Yeah. There are three, so we’ll probably have to destroy all of them.”
“I shall attack with magic.”
“Got it. Let’s break them one by one. I’ll guard the front as usual.”
“Understood, I shall prepare my spell.”
Standing in front of Freynil as she began focusing, I faced off against the rare boss. With three cores, I might as well call it Triple Core Large Slime.
As Triple Core inched closer, it extended parts of its body like tentacles to try and ensnare us.
Maybe because of the three cores, there were more tentacles extending at once.
But thanks to my【Might】,【Whiplash】, and【Stability】skills, I could swing my mace in ways that defied physics, knocking all of them back. I could have blown them apart, but I held back; if the splatter hit Freynil, the poison would be a problem.
“I’m casting!”
From diagonally behind me, Freynil fired «Sacred Ray». The beam, slightly thicker than before thanks to leveling up, pierced one of the cores. Triple Core’s entire body trembled, proof it had taken damage.
“Good, keep it up.”
“Yes!”
Freynil began focusing again. Perhaps sensing her as the threat, Triple Core tried to extend its tentacles past me toward her.
Of course, I wasn’t going to allow that. I swung my mace and forced the tentacles back toward the main body.
“Next one!”
Another beam shot out, piercing the second core. Just as I was thinking how incredible her accuracy was;
I’d have to praise her later-!?
“Kyah!”
At her scream, I whirled; one of the tentacles had wrapped around Freynil’s leg. It must have looped around out of my line of sight.
Her body was yanked off balance and she fell.
“No! Soushi-sama!!!”, she cried.
And in that instant, my vision went red.
“Let go of her, YOU BASTARD!”
I charged straight at the main body, wildly swinging my mace, shredding chunks off Triple Core’s gelatinous form one after another.
The last core appeared before me. I slammed my mace into it with full force, blowing the core apart along with the remaining body.
“Th-Thank you, Soushi-sama…”
Her voice brought me back to my senses. Looks like my【Fury】skill had activated again. I had a feeling I’d shouted something pretty crude…
Hopefully I haven’t scared Freynil.
I rushed over to her. As expected, she’d been splashed by slime. I didn’t know if she’d been poisoned, but I gave her an antidote potion just in case.
“Sorry, I let my guard down. You should be fine, but are you hurt anywhere else?”
“No, I’m alright. I let my guard down too… I’m sorry…”
“No need to apologize. Let’s both learn from this.”
I helped her to her feet. At a glance, her armor and clothing weren’t damaged, so she didn’t seem injured.
Still, another rare Boss… my encounter rate really was abnormal. Maybe I had a hidden skill like【Bad Luck】Lv.10.
I must’ve been making a serious face, because Freynil asked hesitantly,
“Um… Soushi-sama, are you… angry?”
“No, not at all. Do I look that way?”
“When you were fighting earlier… you looked very angry…”
“Ah, that’s probably the effect of a skill. There’s one that puts me in an enraged state and boosts my abilities, but when it activates, my behavior tends to get a bit aggressive.”
“I see… I thought you were angry at me for being inadequate…”
“You’ve been an adventurer for less than a week. You’re doing very well. I wouldn’t get angry over something like that. If anything, that was a situation where I should’ve covered you better.”
When I said that, Freynil looked relieved and smiled.
Then her body twitched, probably from a skill entering her mind. I felt it too.
“【Heavy Burst】? What’s this?”
From the knowledge flowing in, it seemed to be a skill that added extra weight to strikes at the moment of impact… in other words, it just made me even more of a brute-force fighter…
…W-Well, it's probably a rare skill, and clearly powerful, so no complaints.
“What about you, Freynil?”
“Yes, I seem to have obtained something called【Divine Magic】.”
“『Divine』?”
That sounded like an extremely rare type of magic. When I’d checked magic skills before while researching『Holy』attribute, I didn’t recall seeing anything like『Divine』.
“It creates a sacred space that strengthens allies and weakens monsters. Will it be useful?”
Understandably, it’s a mix of multiple support effects. From the name, I thought it might be a superior version of『Holy』attribute, but it seems to serve a different purpose.
“Yeah, that sounds very useful. You’ll need to practice and master it.”
“Yes! I will definitely learn it properly so I can be of help to you, Soushi-sama!”
Hmm… her words seemed to be getting heavier by the day. Well, if that became her motivation as an adventurer, maybe that was fine.
◇◆◇
Anyway, with our goal accomplished, we returned to the inn and had dinner in the dining hall.
Now that she’d proven she could keep up even in an E-class dungeon, Freynil seemed noticeably brighter. It was probably also because she was finally starting to earn money.
I’d paid for her current equipment, and she still seemed quite conscious of that.
“Freynil, I’m thinking we head back to Euron tomorrow. Is that alright?”
“Euron… the domain of Viscount Barius… No, it’s fine. I will follow you anywhere, Soushi-sama.”
She hesitated for just a moment, then quickly gave her usual weighty response.
“When we get back to Euron, we should reassess your equipment. At the very least, you’ll need a staff suited for a mage.”
“You’re right. I’ve grown used to the spear, but in close combat I’d only be a burden to you…”
“That can’t be helped. A party works by making use of each member’s strengths.”
“Yes. I want to focus on improving my magic. Since I’ve gained two magic skills, I believe it’s the guidance of the god Aashram for me to follow that path.”
“Yeah.『Divine』attribute seems to be an extremely rare skill. Making use of it is probably the right choice.”
On the way back, I stopped by the guild and checked the guide again; there was no mention of『Divine』attribute at all. That meant it was something I should report, but for now I held off.
Somehow, I had a feeling that if a mysterious girl like Freynil was found to possess such a rare skill, it would bring about trouble.
“By the way… if you’re taking me to Euron, does that mean I may stay with you from now on, Soushi-sama?”
“Hm? What do you mean?”
“When you first took me into your party, you said you would teach me ‘until I could fight like a proper adventurer’…”
As she said that, she looked at me with pleading eyes. I see, she thought I’d abandon her once she became capable.
“That meant I wouldn’t stop you if you wanted to join another party. If you’re fine as things are now, then we can stay together.”
“Yes! I would like to stay with you forever!”
(E/N: ‘Forever’ should be the key, run, Ossan, run! 🤣)
Faced with the girl suddenly cheering up, I felt like I’d just made some irreversible mistake.
There was no way a girl would become this dependent on a complete stranger in just a few days… right?
I never imagined that not having had children in my previous life would come back to bite me like this.
——————
E/N:
Oh, I'm finding this a tad-bit sinful but… Carry on, Ossan!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments