Ossan Saikyō Chapter 3 Part 02
The next day, after finishing my routine, I headed to the guild in the evening and found a small crowd gathered in front of the notice board.
It looked like the official summons for the large-scale goblin subjugation had finally been announced.
Skimming through it, the operation would be led by the Viscount’s army, and all adventurers E-rank and above were required to participate. The reward was 50,000 to 200,000 Rom per person per day, depending on rank.
Departure was set for three days later, it felt pretty sudden, but judging by the reactions around me, this was normal.
Incidentally, several guild staff, including Kisara, stood in front of the board, explaining things verbally to adventurers who couldn’t read. This was clearly an extremely important matter for the guild.
After getting the information I needed, I finished selling my materials and headed straight to the weapon shop.
Now that I had more funds, I decided to upgrade my weapon. With my increased level, improved skills, and newly acquired special skills, my current mace had started to feel lacking.
“Yo, brother, the things you ordered have arrived.”
When I greeted him, the shopkeeper came out saying that. On the cart he brought were two metal rods, Dark Metal rods for training.
“Thanks, I’ll take them. Also, my mace isn’t cutting it anymore, so I’d like a new one.”
“Not cutting it, huh? That’s some confidence. You only bought it like two weeks ago, right?”
“Yeah. Because it's like this…”
I casually swung the mace around with just my wrist, and the shopkeeper’s eyes widened.
“No, no, wait, what kind of strength is that? Even D-ranks aren’t usually like that.”
“Well, I did just make E-rank yesterday…”
“Huh? Seriously…? You're serious, huh. You might turn into something pretty impressive, brother. Alright, sticking with a mace? You mentioned a spear before too.”
“Seems like brute-forcing with a mace suits me better. But I’m also a bit interested in longswords.”
“Longswords, huh. Way harder to handle than a mace.”
“Yeah, I know. Just give me one for practice. And for the mace, I want something about three times heavier than this.”
“Three times… alright, wait a sec.”
The shopkeeper disappeared into the back, then returned pushing another cart loaded with three maces and three longswords.
“These are the good ones I’ve got. I’d usually recommend a cheap longsword, but with your strength, it won’t hold up. Better get a proper one.”
“Got it. Let me take a look.”
I picked each one up and chose what felt best. For the mace, my skills made it easy to decide, but for the longsword, I couldn’t really tell, I just picked one that felt comfortable.
“I’ll take these. Add a belt to the longsword sheath too.”
“Alright. Total comes to 510,000 Rom. You good for it?”
“No problem. Thanks.”
My funds took a big hit, but it was an investment for the future.
The fact that I could spend money this boldly, I really had changed a lot in just two weeks since coming to this world.
◇◆◇
The next day, I skipped the dungeon and spent the entire day at the training ground (temp.).
First was getting used to the new mace.
The new mace was slightly longer, with a noticeably larger head. It really did feel about three times heavier; when I swung it, it felt like the first time I ever used a mace.
I visualized the monsters I had fought so far and swung the mace vertically and horizontally as if crushing them.
Normally, something this heavy would pull your body off balance, but thanks to the special skill【Stability】, my body barely wavered.
【Stability】was said to stabilize footing, but in practice it did something absurd; it pulled my center of gravity closer to my body, lightly ignoring the laws of physics.
It felt like my body weight increased momentarily, anchoring me in place. Apparently, the effect strengthens as the level rises.
It was only Level 2 now, but even so, the effect was more than noticeable.
After swinging nonstop for about an hour, the mace began to feel like an extension of my body. Most likely, my skill level had increased as well.
Next up was the longsword.
Why a longsword instead of a spear… well, obviously because〈Crimson〉Anatolia had looked cool carrying one the other day.
After swinging it with completely amateur form for an hour, something clicked, I suddenly understood how to handle it.
My blade alignment stabilized, and my footwork started to feel smoother.
Another hour later, it seemed like my longsword skill had reached level 2.
“Alright… anything beyond this needs real combat.”
Without actually using it against monsters, I wouldn’t grasp it further.
I set the longsword aside, grabbed a Dark Metal rod in each hand, and put another in a bag on my back.
That should be close to a 300-kilogram load.
I thought about going for a run like that… but my shoes definitely wouldn’t survive. So I took them off and started running barefoot.
Thanks to the special skill【Steel Body】, the soles of my feet hardened instantly, so stepping on stones didn’t hurt.
I really am becoming less human.
After a full day of intense training like that, I could feel both my skills and my base physical abilities improving.
Yeah… this really is fun. Tomorrow, I’ll unleash this on some monsters.
◇◆◇
The next day, the day before the large-scale subjugation, I had my armor adjusted in the morning and got a new buckler.
After that, I went into the Great Rock Dungeon and used the longsword to cut down goblins and rock lizards, getting my body used to the feel of the blade.
For a body accustomed to blunt-force attacks with a mace, the sensation of slicing monsters with a blade felt fresh.
At the same time, I was reminded just how powerful bladed weapons are.
I’d heard that Western swords focus more on smashing than cutting… but still, a blade is a blade.
That said, with my current strength, the raw power of a mace strike still seemed superior.
After all, even a boss like the Bear Wolf would have its head “explode” from a full-power strike.
The violence created by mass and speed is terrifying.
Anyway, I’ve done everything I can to prepare for the large-scale subjugation.
With my current strength, I should be able to crush even a “King” head-on.
Judging by the other adventurers around me, I might be exceptionally strong for an E-rank…
No… overconfidence is dangerous. I’ve only been an adventurer for just over two weeks. I shouldn’t forget that.
——————
E/N:
If Ossan gets a buster sword, the ones that Guts from Berserk and Loren from Strange Adventure of a Broke Mercenary, use, he'd look very cool!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments