Ossan Saikyō Chapter 2 Part 04
━━━━━━━━━━
Adventurer Level 5
Weapon Skills
【Mace】Lv.6
【Dagger】Lv.4
【Martial Arts】Lv.2 (NEW)
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.6
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.7
【Strength】Lv.8
【Speed】Lv.7
【Surge】Lv.8
【Reflex】Lv.6
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.5
【Hearing】Lv.4
【Scent】Lv.3
【Touch】Lv.3
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.6
【Presence Detection】Lv.6
Mental Skills
【Composure】Lv.4
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.3
━━━━━━━━━━
The next morning, I did my usual early training and headed for the Great Rock Dungeon.
Even though I had gone on a subjugation mission overnight, my body was in perfect condition. I couldn’t help but think for a moment how much I would’ve wanted this body back in my previous life in Japan.
With my level increased, I could now clear the third floor without taking any damage at all. Wanting to get used to unarmed combat as well, I defeated goblins with my bare hands, or rather, with my gauntlets.
Apparently, the fourth floor is where Boar Wolves start appearing. Judging that I could handle it now, I descended to the fourth floor.
The fourth floor was the same kind of rock-carved dungeon. From here on, goblins no longer appeared. As I crushed Rock Lizards and moved forward, my【Presence Detection】picked up a larger presence.
A Boar Wolf. The moment our eyes met, it charged at me with full force. Apparently, its charge is something you generally have to take head-on.
I gripped my mace with both hands and brought it down toward the Boar Wolf’s head as it rushed in.
A perfect counter, the mace slammed into its skull, driving its jaw into the ground.
I couldn’t completely negate the momentum and ended up catching its body, but I still defeated it without taking damage.
What dropped were a mana stone and a chunk of meat. So this is what those meat skewers I’ve been eating are made from. I collected both and moved on.
“Huh? You came down here solo?”
I ran into a party I hadn’t met before. Three youths who looked to be in their late teens. The one who spoke seemed to be their leader, a thin boy.
“Yeah. You can manage alone if you know what you’re doing.”
“No way. Boar Wolves are impossible solo.”
“Not really. If you get the first strike, it works out.”
Maybe I sounded confident, because the boy shrugged and said, “You’re nuts”.
“Well, whatever. Not our problem. Later.”
They dismissed me and moved deeper into the dungeon.
Hmm… I don’t think it’s that crazy. If you raise your skills and level and gain the proper experience, it should be manageable solo. Even Kisara at the guild said “if you’re E-rank”.
(E/N: Yeah, E-Rank… PARTY! This musclehead Ossan 😂!)
…Which means, do I already have E-rank level strength?
No, better not jump to conclusions. I’m not doing anything special. There’s no reason I alone would be stronger than everyone else.
After that, I wandered the fourth floor, but Boar Wolves only appeared twice in total. Their spawn rate doesn’t seem that high.
I considered going to the fifth floor, but if I go down there, I’d want to fight the boss. I decided to call it for today and use the rest of the time for training.
◇◆◇
“Hah?! …You’re gonna fight the boss solo? Old man, are you serious?”
That night during dinner, when I asked Kaim about the boss, he reacted exactly as expected.
“Why the rush? You’re not exactly young, take it slow. At least form a party first.”
“Yeah. I think you’re strong, Mr. Soushi, but a boss solo is too much,” Raberto added, looking worried.
Meribe and Ranan nodded in agreement.
“I’ll only do it if I think I can. I also want to get a special skill.”
“I mean, I get that, but…”
“What, are you aiming to be the strongest in the world or something?” Kaim looked at me like I was insane.
Getting that look from someone younger stings a bit.
“Nothing like that. But there’s no downside to getting stronger, right?”
“Well, yeah. This town’s relaxed, but in bigger cities, low-rank adventurers get looked down on.”
So that’s how it is. Then all the more reason to raise my rank.
“Well, if you’re buying drinks, I’ll tell you. Honestly, you’re a pain, old man.”
“Appreciate it. Thanks.”
I thanked him and ordered drinks from the innkeeper.
◇◆◇
The next day, after spending a large sum on higher-grade potions and having the blacksmith check my mace, I headed for the Great Rock Dungeon.
When I asked about buying more Dark Metal rods, I was told they’d need to be ordered. When I requested two, the blacksmith gave me a very strange look.
At this point, goblins, Rock Lizards, and even Boar Wolves were no longer threats. I crushed them all in a single blow, gathered materials, and advanced to the fifth floor.
With my pack stuffed full, I finally reached the fifth underground floor. The walls had shifted from brown to a grayish tone, giving it the unmistakable feel of the deepest layer.
The lesser monsters were mostly the same as the fourth floor. Since I was the first one in today, there were no other parties ahead.
Following the map, I eventually came across a stone door. About three meters tall and wide, slightly larger than a house entrance.
It was the first artificial structure I’d seen in a dungeon. Building something like this would cost a fortune, so it must be one of the dungeon’s mysterious mechanisms.
“Alright. Potions, check. Armor, secure. Mace, no issues there. Let’s go.”
I said it out loud, then pushed the stone door open.
Inside was a square stone chamber. More like a warehouse than a room. The floor area was about the size of a basketball court.
The moment the door shut behind me, a black mist appeared on the far side of the room, and a monster emerged from within it.
Just as the guide and Kaim had said, a larger Boar Wolf. Apparently called a “Bear Wolf”.
They said “It looks bigger than it really is, so don’t panic”… but yeah, it definitely looks huge. The muscles around its forelegs are absurd.
And on its head, not just tusks, but massive horns… Horns?
No one mentioned horns. The name is “Bear”, after all…
“Don’t tell me this is some kind of special boss… like a higher-tier boss… give me a break.”
If it has horns, Kaim definitely would’ve warned me. That means this is probably something special.
Even if it turns out to be normal, it’ll just be a funny story later.
I switched my mindset. As long as it’s based on a Boar Wolf, the fundamentals of the fight won’t change.
Either way, if I take that horned charge head-on, I’m finished. I could barely endure a normal Boar Wolf, but this one clearly weighs over 200 kilos. That’s three times my weight.
Snort!
The Boss wolf exhaled and began its charge, lowering its head, aiming to skewer me with its horns.
Just before impact, I leapt sideways.
A normal sidestep wouldn’t have worked, it would’ve reacted easily.
But with my enhanced physical abilities and【Surge】and【Strength】skills, I could leap about five meters instantly.
Losing sight of me, the Boss wolf staggered to a halt and turned, searching.
That opening was what I’d been waiting for.
I closed the distance in an instant and struck the boss wolf as it tried to turn.
My target… its leg.
Lowering my stance, I swung my mace horizontally while rushing in.
Bwooom!
Its left foreleg shattered, and the boss wolf let out a scream.
But it didn’t stop, that’s what makes it a Boss. Before collapsing, it kicked off with its hind legs and launched a desperate tackle.
Caught in the recovery of my attack, I took the hit. Fortunately, my armor blocked the horns, but I was sent flying and slammed into the ground.
For a moment, I couldn’t breathe. But my mind stayed calm, urging me to recover.
I sprang back up. Even on three legs, the boss wolf pressed toward me with relentless determination.
Gripping my mace with both hands, I brought it down toward its forehead as it closed in.
The full-force blow crushed its skull. The impact reverberated through both my arms.
Even then, it kept thrashing, shaking its head wildly, trying to pierce me with its horns.
It looks like I’ll either have to brawl it out, or just stand my ground, no other choice.
At that moment, something surged through my body. My vision turned red, and my consciousness narrowed to nothing but attacking.
“Just die already… damn it!”
I found myself shouting without thinking, bringing the mace down again and again.
The boss wolf’s horns dented my armor and slashed my arms and legs.
My mace smashed into its face repeatedly, eventually breaking off those damned horns.
Bwooo… OOOO…!
How long did we trade blows?
With a final dying roar, the boss wolf collapsed heavily onto the ground.
After a while, its body was absorbed into the dungeon floor, leaving behind a baseball-sized mana stone and a magnificent horn.
“Haa… haah… I… did it… right?”
My mind began to cool. Strange… I’d been calm the whole time, but it feels like parts of my memory are missing.
No… I vaguely remember… attacking in a frenzy. I must’ve gotten carried away. But I also felt an overwhelming surge of strength.
Could that be a skill too?
“Ow… I need to use a potion…”
My whole body hurt from the impact, but nothing seemed broken. Still, I had cuts all over, probably from the horns.
Just as I was about to use a potion, my body suddenly felt lighter. A completely new sensation.
“Ah… so this is what Kaim was talking about.”
This must be the feeling of obtaining a special skill. Now then, what did I get? This excitement feels like drawing a lottery.
After a moment, knowledge of the skill slowly flowed into my mind.
“【Regeneration】…a skill that speeds up healing?”
I looked at the wounds on my arm, they were already closing, like when using a potion. Slower, but still far from normal.
“Oh… it’s all healed? This is actually a really good skill.”
It took about five minutes, but all the wounds on my limbs disappeared. I’ve seen characters with this kind of ability in manga… but never thought I’d become one.
In any case, a skill that improves survivability is extremely valuable. Apparently, there are no bad special skills, but I think I got a good one right off the bat.
I collected the mana stone and the two horns, then left the dungeon.
Of course, just because I defeated the boss doesn’t mean I’ll skip my usual training. If anything, when you feel good is when you can push through the hardest work.
——————
E/N:
Rare boss, huh? Ossan got a pretty good skill! And apparently he has also got some kind of "When my eyes turn red, run!" ahh skill 😂!
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments