Ossan Saikyō Chapter 14 Part 09


“I see. So you are an adventurer who is particularly trusted within the Adventurer Guild. It makes sense that the Guildmaster Dunken entrusted Ryūsha-sama to you. Still, it seems you have experienced quite a few twists and turns on your way here.”


Marquis Raghantz said that as she leaned back against her backrest.

I was currently sitting on a sofa in the reception room, facing the Marquis. Arslin was seated beside me, of course, while the butler stood by the Marquis’ side.

I hadn’t expected to be released immediately, but the Marquis had questioned me about even the smallest details of what had happened.

I thought I would arouse suspicion if I tried to conceal anything, so I honestly told her everything from my time in Orz to my arrival here. Both the Marquis and Arslin seemed quite surprised.


“It is difficult to believe, but I understand the circumstances now. I shall also thank you for bringing Ryūsha-sama this far.”


“If I’m going to receive a reward, I do have a favor to ask.”


“What the favor?”


I glanced at Arslin. He noticed my gaze and began speaking on my behalf.


“Your Excellency, as I mentioned earlier, Soushi-dono left his party members behind in Orz. He wishes to contact them, and if possible, he would like permission to use the《Voice Link》magic tool.”


“Hmm? There is no problem with using the magic device, but... you mean you wish to connect to the Guild in Orz?”


“Yes. I would be satisfied if I could simply tell the staff that I am safe.”


When I answered, the Marquis checked with the butler before nodding.


“I will arrange that. However, in that case, I imagine you would like to return to Orz as soon as possible. If this country were not in its current state, that could be arranged immediately.”


“I have heard that crossing the border is difficult. In fact, that was one of the reasons I accepted this request in the first place...”


“You thought that if Mekalinan’s political situation were settled, you would be able to leave the country?”


“That’s right.”


Perhaps the Marquis found my answer amusing, because she gave a soft chuckle.


“I see. Soushi-dono certainly seems to think on a different scale from ordinary adventurers. As a〘Twilight Slayer〙, you could probably force your way across any border you wished?”


“I would hesitate to commit an obvious crime. Besides, I have heard that the current King of Mekalinan is considering waging war against the surrounding countries.”


“Oh? You wish to prevent a war? That is an even more grand-minded way of thinking. But I see. If that is how you think, would you be willing to lend us your strength a little longer?”


“What exactly do you have in mind?”


The Marquis answered my question with a stern look in her eyes.


“I want you to help us in the war that will soon take place between us and the Royal Family. The current King is skilled in the art of summoning undead, so there is a high possibility that he will send undead onto the battlefield.
…
I have also heard that he intends to deploy former adventurers as soldiers. To counter them, the Marquisate is calling upon adventurers to participate in this war.”


After that, I unexpectedly ended up having dinner with the Marquis. Most of our conversation was casual, but Ryūsha seemed particularly interested in my adventures and kept asking me to tell him various stories.

When I mentioned that all my other party members were women, the Marquis gave me a meaningful look, which made me break into a slight sweat.

(E/N: Well, shi! Let's not fumble here! 🤣)

After dinner, I was shown to a room for visiting guests. I was told I could use it for as long as I remained in the city, but for the time being, I decided to stay for only a week.

As for the《Voice Link》magic tool, I obviously couldn’t speak to my party members directly. In fact, the magic tool itself was apparently so valuable that I wasn’t even allowed into the room where it was kept.

So I asked them to send two messages to the Guild in Orz: that “I am safe”, and that “You absolutely should not come looking for me”. With that, the immediate problem should have been taken care of.

Incidentally, connecting the Marquis’ 《Voice Link》tool to the Adventurer Guild was apparently a highly exceptional arrangement. It seemed to have something to do with the current situation in Mekalinan.

And so, I was now lying on a luxurious bed, but what occupied my thoughts was the “participation in the war” the Marquis had asked of me earlier. The truth was, I hadn’t been able to give her an immediate answer.

To be honest, I had always assumed that adventurers weren’t allowed to participate in wars. Apparently, international treaties did indeed prohibit it, but the Guild itself did not specifically forbid it.

If that was the case, then after bringing Ryūsha this far, and considering that I wanted the Marquis’ side to win, helping the Marquis’ forces seemed only natural.

The problem was my morals as someone who had originally been Japanese. I knew there had been people from modern-day Japan who participated in overseas conflicts as mercenaries, but whether I could actually do the same was another matter entirely.

Swinging a mace at monsters was one thing, but if there was a possibility that I would have to do the same against ordinary soldiers...

As I went around in circles thinking about it, my consciousness gradually faded.

◇◆◇

The next morning, during breakfast, the Marquis asked me what I intended to do for the time being.

Incidentally, besides the Marquis and me, Ryūsha and Arslin were also at the table. From our conversation yesterday, I had learned that Arslin was apparently something like the Marquis’ trusted right-hand man.


“I don’t intend to leave this city, so first I’d like to resume working as an adventurer. I’m planning to go to the Guild after this and either enter a dungeon or take on some requests.”


“Do you intend to work alone?”


“I started out as a solo adventurer, so it won’t be a problem. I can clear C-Rank dungeons solo.”


“C-Rank dungeons, alone? No, I suppose that is possible for a〘Twilight Slayer〙. I used to be a B-Rank adventurer myself, but I never even considered entering a C-Rank dungeon alone.”


I had no idea the Marquis had once been an adventurer. Now that she mentioned it, she did indeed have the distinctive air of an Awakened. Perhaps she had the【Stealth】skill, like Mariane.


“To be honest, unless a monster with an exceptionally bad matchup appears, I think I can clear B-Rank dungeons on my own as well.”


“Hmm. Judging from your demeanor, it doesn’t seem like you are merely boasting. Arslin, what do you make of Soushi-dono’s strength?”


The Marquis asked him, and Arslin answered.


“During yesterday’s battle with the slave hunters, Soushi-dono instantly defeated 4 former adventurers with his bare hands. I believe he is exceptionally skilled.”


“That strong? Then I want his assistance even more.”


Hearing Arslin's words, the Marquis stared intently at me. It would be easy to say “Yes, why not.” when a beautiful Marquis looked at me with such a pleading expression, but I seemed to need a little more time.


“By the way, Your Excellency, as I mentioned yesterday, there is a『Gate to Another World』near the Capital from which ‘Devils’ are appearing. There is a possibility they could come here as well, so please be careful.”


“Yes. I intend to contact the Guild about that as well. If ‘Devils’ appear, will adventurers of B-Rank or higher be necessary?”


“That is what I have heard. I have fought them several times myself, so I will cooperate if that happens.”


“That is reassuring. I am counting on you.”


With that, the Marquis began attending to her meal, and Ryūsha spoke to me instead.


“Soushi-san, you came from Orz, didn’t you?”


“Yes. I was in Orz until a few days ago.”


“Then have you heard anything about agents from Mekalinan causing some sort of disturbance? The King said something about having taken some kind of action.”


At that question, both the Marquis and Arslin suddenly turned their sharp gazes toward me. They wanted to know about it as well.

I hesitated over how much I should tell them, but Great Shrine Head Maiden, Lady Miona hadn’t specifically told me to keep it secret, so I decided to tell them everything.


“A man named Mazero and his group apparently caused a disturbance using flesh golems. They seem to have tried to take advantage of the chaos to abduct a shrine maiden of Orz and steal the national treasure, but they were arrested.”


“He did something like that!? What in the world was Uncle thinking...”


Oops. I had just heard some rather dangerous words.

It seemed certain now that Ryūsha was the previous King’s son. Furthermore, the fact that he could call the current King “Uncle” meant that he was most likely an acknowledged son rather than an illegitimate child.

If so, there was something suspicious about the circumstances of the current King’s accession itself.

While Ryūsha stood speechless, the Marquis turned a sharp gaze toward me.


“How do you know such detailed information, Soushi-dono? Unless you are an official of Orz, I would think it impossible for you to know that much.”


“Well... my party was the one that captured Mazero, recovered the shrine maiden as well as the national treasure.”


When I answered honestly, the Marquis’ eyes widened for an instant. Then she stared intently at my face once again.


—————————————
E/N:

Myuela falling for Ossan's charms again and again, one one these days the dam's gonna burst! 🤣

Anyway, I'd rather if Ossan didn't participate in a war of any country but… I guess everything happens for a reason.

Stay tuned!

—————————————

————————————————————
————————————————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing