Ossan Saikyō Chapter 14 Part 05
The next morning, I visited the Guild again.
As soon as she saw me, yesterday's receptionist called out to me.
“Oh, you're Mr. Soushi, right? The Guildmaster would like to hear more details about what happened yesterday. Could you come to the back with me?”
“Alright.”
I followed the receptionist into the Guildmaster's office.
The Guildmaster of the Adventurers' Guild in the capital of Mekalinan was a man around 40. He had the intimidating, rugged appearance of a former adventurer, with an unmistakably masculine air about him.
However, there was a shadow on his face that didn't suit his hearty features. His cheeks were sunken as well, though if he were being favored by the country, it seemed strange that he would be suffering from a lack of food.
“So you're Soushi. I'm Denken, branch master of the Mekkela Branch of the Adventurer Guild. Sorry about this, but I'd like you to tell me the details of what you told us yesterday. Oh, have a seat over there.”
I sat down in the sitting area, and Guildmaster Denken took the seat opposite me. The receptionist served us some water and immediately left the room.
“Now, tell me about those ‘Devils’ again. Give me as much detail as you can.”
“Understood. However, some of what I'm about to tell you may be difficult to believe, so please keep that in mind...”
I once again explained everything from the investigation of the『Gate to Another World』in Orz up to how I had arrived here. As the story progressed, wrinkles appeared between Denken's brows.
When I finished telling him everything, the Guildmaster closed his eyes, exhaled deeply, and leaned back in his chair.
“I understand the ‘Devils’ now. I'd like to investigate this『Gate to Another World』, but... honestly, I don't know if we can spare the manpower for it right now.”
“Is that because there aren't enough adventurers? There didn't seem to be many ordinary adventurers in the lobby.”
“Yeah, that's part of it. The adventurers have scattered to other territories.”
“What about that group in all-black?”
“They're the Royal Family's ‘Special Forces’. I'd appreciate it if you didn't pry too much into that.”
As he spoke, Denken made a face as though he had bitten into something bitter. They were presumably adventurers directly under the Royal Family, but if they were called the “Special Forces”, then they were soldiers.
Whether an existence that was both adventurer and soldier was even permitted was questionable, but judging from Denken's expression, I decided this wasn't something to dig into right now.
“However, if they're left alone, I'm certain the ‘Devils’ will appear. They're opponents that adventurers below B-Rank would struggle against, so please be careful.”
“Understood. If the ‘Devils’ actually appear, we'll coordinate with the capital's garrison and deal with them.”
“Please do. I'll also help if I'm still in the city at the time.”
“Yeah, I'll be counting on you then... although…”
At that point, Denken leaned forward and looked at me with a probing gaze.
“You're that Soushi, right? Soushi, the leader of〈Saul's Guidance〉, the〘Twilight Slayer〙and〘Dragon Slayer〙?”
“Huh... Yes, that's right.”
“I've heard you carry some pretty massive weapon. Mind showing it to me?”
“Uh, sure.”
I took my mace out of【Item Box】and showed it to him. Denken's eyes widened when he saw the《Abberent Mace》, then he gave a sly grin.
“I see. Looks like luck has finally turned our way. Sorry for startling you. Your information is shared through the Guild's network, so every Guildmaster knows about you.”
“Mariane-san... our dedicated staff officer, did mention that.”
“Yeah, now that you mention it, you have a dedicated staff officer. Well, in that case, I've got a little secret request for you. From what you've told me, you want to get back to Orz as soon as possible, but I'd like you to hear me out if you can.”
“What kind of… request?”
“That is... Hm, looks like someone's coming. Ah, this is going to be troublesome.”
Just as Denken said, I sensed three people approaching.
They opened the door without even knocking and strode into the room as though they owned the place.
The middle-aged man at the front was clearly dressed as a high-ranking noble. The two behind him were guards.
“Why, Count Meltone. I apologize for making you come all the way here. May I ask what brings you here?”
Denken stood up to greet him, and the nobleman in aristocratic clothing, addressed as “Count Meltone”, answered while twirling his mustache.
“Do you not know why I have come here? If you truly don't, then you must be an exceptionally incompetent man.”
“Could it be about the『Summoning Stones』? I believe we've been delivering the specified amount.”
“I instructed you to increase the number the other day. Anyone who isn't a complete fool should realize that we'll be needing a large quantity of them soon.”
“Even so, the number of adventurers has decreased. There aren't many who can venture into the deeper areas of B-Rank dungeons.”
Apparently displeased with Denken's answer, the Count twisted his mouth into a hateful expression.
“That is because of your incompetence as Guildmaster! Instead of making excuses, gather more people. There are as many adventurers as you could want in Raghantz's territory.”
“It's impossible to draw adventurers from other territories unless you restore the purchase prices for materials.
…
More importantly, Count, we've received information that those ‘Devils’ from before are likely to appear around here soon, so I'd like to ask you to take precautions.”
“What...? Deal with that yourselves. The country's soldiers aren't meant to handle such things.”
“I'd prefer it if the Special Forces under your command could deal with them. Adventurers aren't guaranteed to take action.”
“Silence! Are you in any position to speak to me like that? Your only concern should be carrying out the orders you've been given without incurring His Majesty the King's wrath. Now, double the number of『Summoning Stones』. Otherwise-!”
“Understood. I'll do everything I can.”
Denken raised both hands in a gesture of surrender, and the Count spat, “What a lowborn cur without even the manners to show respect”, before leaving just as he had come.
Incidentally, he never looked in my direction. In fact, it seemed he hadn't even noticed I was there.
“Sorry about that. I didn't mean for you to have to see something like that.”
Denken sat back down with an ironic smile.
“Not at all. But isn't it a problem for a noble to come to the Guild and speak to you like that?”
“There are various circumstances involved. I'll settle all of that once everything's over... but that's not what matters right now. Let's get back to what I was saying earlier.”
“You mean the request.”
Denken once again gave me a probing look.
“Actually, I'd like you to secretly escort a certain person to the Marquis in the south. But this is a request I can only entrust to someone with an especially high level of trust within the Guild, and if something goes wrong, it'll become an extremely troublesome matter.
…
Honestly, it's something of a gamble for me too... but if possible, would you accept it for the sake of this country?”
—————————————
E/N:
Even though Mekalinan means nothing to Ossan, he's a good guy in the end, he'll do his best to help wherever he can.
Denken's the unfortunate middle man, though!
Stay tuned!
—————————————
————————————————————
————————————————————
Comments