Ossan Saikyō Chapter 11 Part 08
When we returned to the surface, just as Lylanora had said, the entrance to the dungeon had collapsed and vanished.
There wasn't a single undead left in the abandoned village, and the strange sensation I'd felt when we first entered the village had disappeared as well.
Come to think of it, we'd been told that the undead monsters rarely left the village.
If the surface itself had become part of the dungeon's territory, that would certainly explain it.
We returned to Balbadoza a little before sunset.
Since I was the party leader, Mariane and I would be the ones reporting to the Count.
After returning to the inn together with everyone else, Mariane and I changed into more presentable clothes before heading out once again.
“Soushi-san, I'm sorry, but would you mind stopping by the Guild first?”
Mariane had changed back into her Guild uniform, but ever since we'd left the dungeon, something had clearly been bothering her.
“You've been thinking about Lylanora's name this whole time. Are you planning to check the records?”
“Yes. I only want to confirm something, so it shouldn't take very long.”
“Understood. In that case, let's stop by the Guild first.”
As soon as we arrived, Mariane headed straight into one of the back rooms.
While I wandered over toward the request board, I happened to run into Garen from〈Dawn's Thunder〉just as he entered the Guild.
“Hey, Soushi. Weren't you supposed to be carrying out the Count's request today?”
“We were. We've already finished the investigation and just got back. We're on our way to report to the Count now.”
“Well, good work. Oh, right. Nielsen left town today. Sounds like he's heading back to his hometown to start over.”
“I see. By the way, where is his hometown?”
“The Duke's territory.”
“The Duke? Duke Armand?”
“That's right. He's originally from there. Apparently he came from a fairly respectable family, but after Awakening, becoming an adventurer was his only option, and it hit him pretty hard.
…
Fortunately, he had enough talent to make it all the way to B-Rank... but I guess that's what twisted him in a different direction.”
“I see...”
Learning that Nielsen had returned to Duke Armand's territory was actually useful information.
Because of Freynil's circumstances, we had no intention of going anywhere near Duke Armand's domain.
Knowing there was now little chance we'd run into him again was honestly a relief.
“Well, anyway, sorry for dumping that mess on you.”
“No, I think there wasn't really any avoiding it.”
As I gave the safest possible response, Mariane emerged from the back room.
“Sorry to keep you waiting. I've finished checking, so we can leave whenever you're ready.”
“Alright. Garen-dono, see you around.”
“Take care.”
After parting ways with Garen, Mariane and I left the Guild and headed straight for the Count's residence.
◇◆◇
When we spoke to the guards at the castle gate, they let us through without any delay.
We passed through a beautifully maintained garden before being guided into the Count's castle-like mansion.
“Ara~ Soushi-san, this way please~.”
Waiting to greet us at the entrance was Reisei, the elder sister of the Count's twin bodyguards.
Feeling somewhat intimidated by the luxurious interior, I followed behind her until...
We were shown into the Count's study.
The request had indeed emphasized reporting back as soon as possible, but I hadn't expected to be ushered in without any waiting at all.
Mariane and I were seated on one of the sofas in the reception area of the study, facing the Count, whose white beard and gentle demeanor gave him the appearance of a kindly old man.
Behind him stood the twins, Reisei and Reinan.
Besides them sat an intellectual-looking man in his 30s wearing round glasses.
Though still fairly young, he was apparently the chief steward of House Lautrec.
Now that it was pointed out...
His atmosphere reminded me somewhat of Rodan, Viscount Varius's steward.
“So you've resolved the matter on the very same day. Quite the diligent workers, aren't you? Well then, let's hear your report.”
Following the Count's invitation, I recounted everything that had happened that day.
From time to time I also confirmed the details with Mariane to ensure there were no discrepancies.
It was frustrating that we had absolutely no physical evidence to support any of it.
Even so, the Count never once appeared skeptical, simply nodding thoughtfully as he listened all the way to the end.
“What a most peculiar tale. A Vampire who speaks, at the bottom of a dungeon... and a dungeon that disappears once conquered. Mariane-dono, as a Guild representative, what do you make of all this?”
The Count turned toward her.
Mariane nodded before speaking.
“As it happens, I recognized the name Lylanora, so I consulted the Guild's records. As a result, I believe the dungeon we encountered today was what is known as a Wandering Dungeon.”
“A Wandering Dungeon... Eilock, have you heard of such a thing?”
The Count turned toward the bespectacled steward seated beside him.
“I have, Your Excellency. According to old records, when the Evil Dragon appeared in ancient times and the continent stood on the brink of catastrophe, new dungeons began appearing as a sign of what was to come.
…
People of that era referred to them as Wandering Dungeons.”
“I see. Mariane-dono, does that match what you found?”
“Yes, precisely. The records date back roughly 200 years. According to them, a female vampire calling herself ‘Lylanora’ appeared at the lowest floor of a Wandering Dungeon.”
“Hmmm...”
The Count folded his arms and let out a deep sigh.
To be honest...
I'd reacted much the same way when Mariane explained all this to me on our way here.
Lately we'd been uncovering one new piece of information after another.
Among them all...
This one ranked near the top in terms of importance.
“So then... if a Wandering Dungeon has appeared once again, does that mean some Great Calamity may soon befall this kingdom... or perhaps the entire continent?”
“We can't say for certain. That's the only historical example we have. I believe we'd need to investigate even older records before reaching any conclusion.”
Mariane was absolutely right.
One historical case alone wasn't enough to draw firm conclusions.
Even so...
I couldn't shake the feeling that this boded ill.
I'd rather not believe the【Bad Luck】skill was capable of causing something on that scale...
“Indeed. You're quite right. For now, I shall make sure His Majesty is informed. However, any major response will likely wait until another similar incident occurs. And how do you expect the Guild will respond?”
“We shall report the matter to the Grandmaster. Beyond that, I believe the Guild's response will likely be much the same.”
“So for the time being, this shall remain confidential.”
The Count gave a wry smile.
“Who would've thought that a simple outbreak of undead would grow into such a significant matter? It seems this old man won't be getting much rest after all... especially with Soushi-dono involved.”
“Ah...”
The Count's amused smile caught me completely off guard.
It was true...
Our party already had more than its fair share of unusual circumstances.
On top of that, we'd become involved with one strange monster and mysterious dungeon after another.
It was probably inevitable that those in positions of power would begin paying attention to us.
Though...
No one would ever believe the greatest secret of all… that I'd come from another world.
“Very well. Thank you for your outstanding work. Your reward will be paid through the Guild according to regulations. Now then, Soushi-dono... until you receive a summons from the Royal Family, what do you intend to do?”
“First, we plan to clear the dungeons around Balbadoza. After that, I thought we'd begin taking on requests.”
“Excellent. Such diligence is most commendable. Depending on how matters unfold, capable adventurers may become increasingly necessary. I have high expectations for you in that regard as well.”
“Thank you very much. As an adventurer, I'll devote myself wholeheartedly to living up to those expectations.”
“Hohoho... You're an interesting man. Adventurers tend to be young. Someone of your maturity and experience is quite rare. It would serve you well to remember that.”
“Yes, sir.”
The Count certainly had a point.
As an adventurer, I still lacked experience, so it was difficult for me to truly appreciate it.
But whether I wanted it or not...
At my age, people were naturally going to place those kinds of expectations upon me.
All I'd wanted was to live a little longer...
Yet, as always...
Life rarely goes the way one hopes.
——————
E/N:
Life rarely goes the way one hopes… Truer words have never been said! Well, it seems God(s) favour Ossan in this Isekai.
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments