Ossan Saikyō Chapter 11 Part 05
“Mariane-san, if an adventurer discovers a new dungeon, what's the proper course of action? Does the Guild have any regulations regarding that?”
“The thing is, no new dungeon has been discovered in at least the last 30 years. Because of that, the regulations themselves are rather outdated. Still, unless they voluntarily relinquish the right, the adventurer who discovers the dungeon has the right to be the first to enter it.
…
Long ago, people believed that the first person to conquer a dungeon would receive a special treasure, so it's a remnant of that tradition.”
“And are we obligated to report it to the Guild?”
“Of course, there is an obligation to report it. However, the rules only state that it should be reported as soon as reasonably possible. There's no strict time limit.”
“So in other words, we could clear the dungeon first and report it afterward?”
“Yes, that's correct.”
A once-in-30-years rarity...
That certainly sounded like the kind of thing that happens to〈Saul's Guidance〉.
There was little doubt that this newly appeared dungeon was the source of the undead outbreak.
Naturally, it needed to be investigated.
The cautious approach would be to return to town, report our discovery to the Guild, and then come back with proper preparations.
But my instincts...
Or rather, my trust in the【Bad Luck】skill...
Were telling me we should enter now.
“We can be almost certain this dungeon has only recently appeared, and that it's the cause of the undead outbreak.
…
Considering the monsters emerging from it are all low rank, I believe we should enter for now and at least thin their numbers. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.”
“I agree with Soushi-sama. If they're undead, then my abilities will be of great help.”
“I agree! There's no way we're passing up the chance to be the first people to enter a brand-new dungeon!”
“I don't believe we'd be at any disadvantage. Besides, if we leave it alone, monsters will soon begin pouring out of it. I think we should go in.”
“For safety's sake, returning to report it first is certainly an option. However, if you, as our leader, have judged that it's safe, Soushi-san, then I'll follow your decision.”
“Alright then. We'll begin investigating the new dungeon. We have two objectives: eliminate the monsters that have likely multiplied inside, and confirm what's at the bottom level.
…
If I judge the situation to be too dangerous, we'll withdraw immediately. If any of you notice even the slightest abnormality, let me know at once.”
“ “ “ “Yes.” ” ” ”
Come to think of it...
This would be our first dungeon exploration with absolutely no prior information.
If that was the case, then this was where all of our experience would truly be put to the test.
If this was another trial prepared by the【Bad Luck】skill...
Then all I could do was proceed with the utmost caution.
◇◆◇
We entered the abandoned village dungeon on high alert, but the interior looked much the same as any other dungeon.
Stone passageways stretched ahead of us, with what looked like gravestones embedded here and there in the walls.
It certainly gave the place the feel of an undead dungeon, but aside from that, nothing particularly stood out.
We hadn't gone far before monsters appeared.
Skeletons.
The very same ones we'd encountered above ground.
Judging by their appearance and the rusty swords and shields they carried, they were equivalent to F-Rank monsters.
“«Ascension».”
About 20 Skeletons were wiped out instantly by a single cast of Freynil's【True Holy Magic】.
The mana stones they dropped were also F-Rank.
We advanced while Mariane carefully drew a map of the dungeon, making our progress slower than usual.
Still, mapping the dungeon was essential for our safety.
About an hour later, after defeating countless Skeletons and Zombies, we reached the stairs leading down to the 2nd underground floor.
After a short break, we continued onward.
The monsters on the second floor were still Skeletons and Zombies.
However, they were noticeably larger, and the Skeletons now wielded clean, well-made weapons instead of rusted ones.
“The monsters seem to have become stronger. Stay alert.”
I warned everyone.
In the end, though...
They were still wiped out by a single cast of Freynil's «Ascension».
The only noticeable difference was that the mana stones they dropped were slightly larger, apparently corresponding to E-Rank.
Could it be that the monsters' rank increases with each floor?
Come to think of it...
Unlike normal dungeons, these monsters dropped nothing but mana stones.
After another hour or so, we reached the 3rd underground floor.
The monsters had become stronger yet again.
The Skeletons now wore light armor, while the Zombies no longer resembled rotting corpses.
Instead, they looked like humans with bluish skin.
According to Sphenia, they were Ghouls.
In games I'd played in my previous life, Ghouls had counted as undead.
Apparently that wasn't the case in this world, because Freynil's «Ascension» had no effect on them.
Still...
Once Rani began lopping off their heads with her《Mithril Sword》, it was all over.
The mana stones they dropped corresponded to D-Rank.
“As expected, the monsters seem to increase in rank with each floor.”
“If that's true, then the real question is how many floors there are. If it only goes down to the 5th underground floor, would that make the Boss B-Rank?”
Rani had a point.
If she was right, then we'd have to think carefully before entering the Boss room.
Still...
It was too early to worry about that.
On the 4th floor, we encountered an old acquaintance.
Liches.
Alongside them appeared a muscular upper-tier Ghoul.
Naturally, thanks to Rani's【Jinx】, more than 10 of them appeared at once.
As expected, even Freynil's «Ascension» couldn't destroy the Liches in a single hit.
However, it left them almost completely incapacitated.
That merely turned them into easy targets for my mace and Rani's《Mithril Sword》.
The stronger Ghouls appeared capable of delivering devastating attacks.
Unfortunately for them...
They were wiped out by a relentless barrage of Sphenia's magic and arrows before they could even get close.
Finally...
We reached the crucial 5th underground floor.
The stone walls had changed into smooth, marble-like blocks, giving the place every appearance of a final level.
“The monsters on the 4th underground floor were roughly C-Rank, so there's a high probability that B-Rank monsters will appear here. Let's test the waters first. If it looks beyond our capabilities, we'll withdraw.”
“Yes, Soushi-sama.”
“Honestly, I think we'll be fine.”
“I agree. The C-Rank monsters on the previous floor weren't even a challenge.”
“Indeed. I believe〈Saul's Guidance〉has already surpassed the level of an upper-tier B-Rank party and is approaching A-Rank.”
That was certainly true.
Considering we'd already defeated the B-Rank Darkflare Dragon, our party's overall strength had to be at least upper-tier B-Rank.
As long as we didn't become careless...
We should be alright.
“Alright. Let's move.”
We advanced down the marble-like corridor.
Then...
【Presence Detection】reacted.
Appearing before us was a headless armored swordsman carrying its helmet under one arm.
A Headless Soldier.
Individually, it was equivalent to a C-Rank monster.
However...
There weren't one.
There were 3.
At that point, it was no longer merely a C-Rank threat.
“Fray,『Halo』. I'll hold off two of them. Rani, Sphenia-san, Mariane-san, take the one on the right.”
“Yes.”
“Roger!”
I stepped forward first and caught their attacks.
It seemed they possessed not only【Whiplash】but also【Sever】.
However...
My shield, strengthened by【Fortress】, let not a single slash through.
While I held their attacks at bay, one of the monsters suddenly glided around, attempting to slip behind me.
Before it could...
Sphenia's magic and one of Rani's strikes blasted it away.
Excellent support.
“Casting『Halo』!”
Light flooded the corridor.
The Headless Soldiers' movements immediately became sluggish.
I slammed one that had just swung at me backward with my shield before bringing my mace crashing down onto another.
Its upper body crumpled like paper before disappearing entirely.
The one I'd sent flying with my shield had its armor so badly warped that it could barely move.
I finished it with a【Shockwave】.
It shattered into pieces before vanishing.
The final one appeared to have been cut down from both sides by Rani and Marianne working together.
Watching two speed-oriented fighters coordinate their attacks was remarkably impressive.
“With 3 Headless Soldiers appearing together, this really does seem to be a B-Rank dungeon.”
“Hm... Though it's hard to say for sure, since my【Jinx】probably increased their numbers too.”
Rani added that after Mariane's comment.
Still...
It was probably safest to assume this was indeed a B-Rank dungeon.
“We seem more than capable of handling it. Let's keep moving.”
For now, we'd only been observing cautiously.
But honestly...
If I wanted to, it feel like I could have eliminated all three Headless Soldiers by myself in an instant.
Overconfidence was dangerous.
Even so...
This felt like another time when I should trust the【Bad Luck】skill and continue forward.
——————
E/N:
Who's the Boss here? Except Ossan of course? 😏
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments