Ossan Saikyō Chapter 10 Part 13
Although we all had a strong feeling that something ominous was brewing, we continued on the road toward Bartlan for the time being.
To me, it felt like we were walking straight into a major disaster event.
In any case, we needed to report the appearance of the Twilight Hounds to the Guild as quickly as possible.
After all, they were almost certainly the unidentified monsters for which the subjugation request had been issued.
As the town came into view, I noticed unusual commotion around the city gate.
Moreover...
The gate itself showed clear signs of destruction.
We hurried over and found several gate guards lying on the ground.
The sight was horrific.
Around 10 soldiers lay dead, every one of them cleaved apart by what appeared to have been a single strike.
It was a scene too gruesome to look at directly.
“This is terrible... Did monsters attack?”
“No. If monsters had attacked, the people nearby would have been victims as well.”
As Sphenia answered, she carefully surveyed the surroundings.
Like Euron, Bartlan also had an area outside its walls, a semi-slum district.
Many of its residents were watching us from a distance.
The moment we looked toward them, however, every one of them hurried back into their ramshackle homes.
“Then... bandits? Though if that's the case, the town itself seems strangely quiet.”
“The bodies of the soldiers appear to have all been killed by the same individual. If that's true... then perhaps...”
As she spoke, Sphenia turned toward Mariane.
Marianne frowned and nodded.
“Yes... It may have been one of the Twilight Kin.”
At those words, both Freynil and Rani visibly flinched.
It seemed the stories of the Twilight Kin they'd grown up hearing had left a deeper impression on them than I'd realized.
“Either way, we need to find out what's happened. Let's head to the Guild first.”
“Please be careful. The Twilight Kin are said to massacre people purely for amusement. Depending on the individual, they normally require multiple A-Rank parties to defeat.”
“I understand. We'll proceed assuming that retreat may become necessary.”
Even as I said that, I couldn't shake the strange certainty that...
...I probably wouldn't be retreating.
◇◆◇
Strangely enough, the town itself was quiet.
No...
The fact that almost no one was walking the streets made it clear something extraordinary had happened.
We reached the Adventurers Guild without incident.
Normally, several adventurer parties would be gathered in the lobby.
Today, there wasn't a single one.
There wasn't even a receptionist behind the counter.
Mariane disappeared into the office at the back.
Apparently one Guild employee had remained behind.
After speaking briefly with the young receptionist, Mariane returned to us.
“An unidentified individual has appeared in the town square and begun... doing something. All of the adventurers have apparently gone there.”
“Is it one of the Twilight Kin?”
“I can't say for certain, but it's highly likely. Apparently, it dragged several heavily wounded adventurers there. I can't imagine many beings who would behave that way.”
“A mysterious killer who murders for amusement... I never imagined such a thing existed.”
I'd already heard about the Twilight Kin on the way back to town.
All I'd really learned was that they were extraordinarily powerful...
...and that their mentality was completely alien to that of humans.
The idea that such incomprehensible beings occasionally appeared just to wreak havoc sounded unbelievable.
Then again...
Monsters themselves were hardly any different.
Perhaps it wasn't all that surprising after all.
“I suppose we have no choice but to see what's happening. Depending on the situation, every adventurer present may end up fighting together.”
“Soushi-sama... will we really be alright...? I can feel an incredibly sinister presence... It's even stronger than the Devil we encountered before.”
Freynil clutched my sleeve anxiously.
When I gently stroked her head, I realized she was trembling.
“We'll be fine as long as we're together. Besides... if we don't stop it here, there could be countless victims.”
“...Yes. You're right. We're adventurers. We can't abandon the people.”
I nodded to reassure her.
Even so...
I had no confidence whatsoever that I was making the right decision.
As party leader, protecting my companions should have been my highest priority.
Yet we still lacked far too much information to justify retreating.
We didn't even know what the mysterious figure wanted...
Or whether it was truly one of the Twilight Kin.
◇◆◇
A huge crowd had gathered in the town's central square.
People watched from the second- and third-floor windows of the surrounding buildings as well.
Someone appeared to be speaking in the middle of the square, but from outside the crowd we couldn't see anything.
Left with no choice, we identified ourselves as adventurers and pushed our way through until we could finally see.
“Keh-heh-heh... Well? Is there no one who dares face me in single combat? Slay me, Zaikal, and earn yourself great renown!”
The one shouting in that shrill voice was...
...a truly bizarre man.
He stood around 2 meters tall.
His body was unnaturally thin, with absurdly long arms and legs.
Beneath his tangled hair was a pale blue face fixed in an eerie archaic smile.
He looked as though he was thoroughly enjoying the situation.
At first glance he seemed male, but he gave off such an abnormal impression that even distinctions like gender felt meaningless.
He wore nothing but a black leather bodysuit. And he was bare-handed.
“There is, however, one condition. We shall fight with our bare hands. Should you violate that rule... these people shall become food for my hounds.”
A short distance behind him lay a group of adventurers.
There were perhaps 12-13 of them.
Every one had been horribly mutilated, barely clinging to life.
Unfortunately, several had already died.
Among them I recognized the members of〈Supreme Radiance〉.
At least...
They still appeared to be breathing.
The real problem was the 10 or so Twilight Hounds surrounding the wounded adventurers.
They were currently sitting obediently.
But at a single command from the man, they would undoubtedly tear into their prey.
“Well then... there is little time. If no one accepts my challenge, these shall become my hounds' meal... and afterward I shall reduce this entire town to rubble. Such is the whim of Zaikal... one of the Twilight Kin!”
The moment he finished speaking…
Something overwhelming erupted from his entire body.
Perhaps it was what stories often called fighting spirit...
Or demonic aura...?
Whatever it was...
Almost everyone nearby became unable to move. Even the adventurers turned deathly pale, frozen like statues.
Yet strangely enough...
Instead of being crushed beneath that pressure...
I felt my body growing hotter. While my body burned, my mind remained unnaturally calm. And with that cold clarity...
I realized something disturbing.
I wanted to fight this man called Zaikal.
That's ridiculous...
I argued with myself.
But the only answer that came back was an overwhelming urge to...
Step forward.
Challenge him.
When I turned around, I saw the members of〈Saul's Guidance〉.
Their faces were pale, but unlike the other adventurers, they could still move.
“I'm going to accept his challenge. If those hounds move after our fight is decided, cooperate with the other adventurers and deal with them immediately.”
“Soushi-sama, you mustn't...!”
“Soushi, no! If you're going... then we're going together...”
Freynil and Rani both protested.
I quietly shook my head.
“Right now, we have no choice but to play by his rules. Everyone here is effectively a hostage. It'll be alright... I think I can win.”
The words came naturally...
Despite having absolutely no basis for them.
Is my desire to fight really that strong?
No...
Given the situation, I was simply the only one who could step forward.
And if this, too, was merely another performance orchestrated by my【Bad Luck】skill...
...then just like before, it had to be an opponent I could defeat.
I forced my reason to accept that conclusion.
Sphenia and Mariane also looked as though they wanted to stop me.
Unfortunately...
There wasn't any time.
“Take care of the rest.”
Leaving my mace and tower shield where I stood, I walked toward Zaikal before anyone could object further.
“Keh-heh-heh... Oh? How delightful. To think someone exists who can withstand my『Anima』. I was beginning to despair, believing I'd wandered into yet another disappointing little settlement.”
“Before we fight... answer me one question. What is it you want?”
I asked on impulse.
Zaikal tilted his head.
Then he frowned with genuine confusion, as though he truly couldn't understand the question.
“My purpose...? What is... purpose? Actions require no purpose. There is only impulse. Only desire. I do as I wish... because I wish to do so. Nothing more.”
“I see... Thank you for answering. Then I suppose we'll simply follow our own desires and fight.”
“Keh-heh-heh... Indeed. A battle to stake our very existence. Though the one who shall die... is you. Even so... I shall honor the death of one who is strong.”
I still couldn't understand anything he was saying.
It wasn't merely that we disagreed.
It felt as though the very foundations of our values were completely different.
No matter how I looked at it...
There was only one possible outcome.
I had to fight Zaikal.
As I casually settled into my stance...
Zaikal narrowed his eyes in unmistakable delight.
——————
E/N:
Slenderman ahh character who'll probably cease to exist by the next chapter 😂! Twilight Kin are probably battle maniacs or something.
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
——————————
Comments