Ossan Saikyō Chapter 6 — Escort Request and Undead Subjugation | | Part 01
━━━━━━━━━━
Soushi Okuno
E-Rank
Adventurer Level 12
Weapon Skills
【Mace】Lv.16
【Longsword】Lv.8
【Dagger】Lv.4
【Martial Arts】Lv.9
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.13
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.15
【Strength】Lv.18
【Speed】Lv.14
【Surge】Lv.14
【Reflex】Lv.12
【Body Control】Lv.3 (NEW)
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.11
【Hearing】Lv.9
【Scent】Lv.6
【Touch】Lv.6
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.13
【Presence Detection】Lv.11
Mental Skills
【Composure】Lv.9
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.5
【Fury】Lv.2
Special Skills
【Regeneration】Lv.3
【Stability】Lv.5
【Steel Body】Lv.4
【Whiplash】Lv.3
【Poison Resistance】Lv.2
【Might】Lv.5
【Illusion Resistance】Lv.2
【Heavy Burst】Lv.3
【Paralysis Resistance】Lv.1 (NEW)
Unique Skills
【Bad Luck】Lv.10
━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━
Freynil
E-Rank
Adventurer Level 8
Weapon Skills
【Spear】Lv.3
【Martial Arts】Lv.2
【Staff】Lv.4 (NEW)
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.2
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.5
【Strength】Lv.4
【Speed】Lv.6
【Surge】Lv.4
【Reflex】Lv.4
【Body Control】Lv.1 (NEW)
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.6
【Hearing】Lv.5
【Scent】Lv.3
【Touch】Lv.4
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.4
【Presence Detection】Lv.5
Mental Skills
【Courage】Lv.4
【Concentration】Lv.4
Special Skills
【Holy Magic】Lv.5
【Divine Magic】Lv.3
【Parsimony】Lv.2 (NEW)
【Crucible】Lv.1 (NEW)
【Life Magic】Lv.1 (NEW)
【Poison Resistance】Lv.1 (NEW)
Unique Skills
【Saint's Eye】Lv.2
━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━
Rani
E-Rank
Adventurer Level 9
Weapon Skills
【Longsword】Lv.10
【Dagger】Lv.3
【Martial Arts】Lv.5
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.3
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.7
【Strength】Lv.8
【Speed】Lv.11
【Surge】Lv.10
【Reflex】Lv.10
【Body Control】Lv.4
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.5
【Hearing】Lv.8
【Scent】Lv.11
【Touch】Lv.5
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.5
【Presence Detection】Lv.10
Mental Skills
【Courage】Lv.4
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.1
Special Skills
【Enchantment Magic】Lv.3
【Paralysis Resistance】Lv.1
【Cold Resistance】Lv.1
【Dash】Lv.3
【Steel Body】Lv.3
【Critical Strike】Lv.1
【Might】Lv.1
Unique Skills
【Jinx】Lv.3
━━━━━━━━━━
(A/N: Skills are estimates.)
“Soushi-san, would you like to move up to D-rank soon?”
While our materials were being processed at the guild in the evening, the receptionist Mariane made that suggestion.
After gaining two new skills each, we had spent three days diving into E-class dungeons to get used to them and earn money.
During that time, it seemed I had accumulated quite a few promotion points. With Rani around, the number of monster encounters increased, which helped as well.
“What else is required for promotion?”
“You need to complete one subjugation request and one escort request. As for subjugation… well, given the circumstances, I recommend taking an escort request.”
She glossed over the “subjugation request” part, probably because a “large-scale subjugation request” was expected soon. The fact that she was being considerate like this meant we’d gained some trust.
That was likely why she suggested an escort request.
“Is there a request we can take?”
“Yes, we just received one from the Apothecary Guild. Escorting a material collector and assisting with gathering. It’s urgent, so it starts early tomorrow morning.”
“What does ‘assisting with gathering’ entail?”
“If Monsters are encountered, the requester would also like those monster materials if possible, so subjugating them is included in the request.”
“I see. What kind of monster?”
“An E-rank monster called a Unicorn Rabbit. Its horn is used as a medicinal ingredient, but it doesn’t drop inside dungeons.”
The Unicorn Rabbit was a large rabbit-type monster with a horn. It attacked by skewering with that horn, and depending on where it hit, it could be instantly fatal, which was why it was ranked E despite being a rabbit.
“I see… I’m thinking of accepting. What do you two think?”
When I asked Freynil and Rani, they replied, “As you see fit, Soushi-sama”, and “If it’s Unicorn Rabbits, my nose will be useful, so I think it’s good”.
“We’ll take it.”
With that, I accepted our first escort request.
The next morning, when we arrived at the designated building, a woman with long ears, likely the client, was waiting.
An elf, the kind famous in games. This was only the second one I’d seen since Crimson Anatolia. Apparently, they weren’t particularly rare, but they usually lived in their own settlements and rarely came out.
She looked to be in her early twenties, though with a long-lived race like hers, it was impossible to tell her actual age. She had platinum blonde hair braided behind her, and her features were exactly what you’d expect from an elf; refined and beautiful.
“Nice to meet you. I’m Soushi from the Adventurer’s Guild. These are my party members, Freynil and Rani. Are you Apothecary Hofena?”
Recalling my past life’s business manners, I greeted her, and the elf woman smiled warmly.
“Nice to meet you. I am Hofena, an apothecary. Thank you for accepting this request on such short notice.”
“We simply accepted because the conditions matched on our side. No need to worry.”
That kind of modest phrasing might not be ideal in this world… I realized too late, but Hofena narrowed her eyes slightly and said, “Thank you”, so I decided it was fine.
“Time is limited, so I’d like to explain the request while we walk. Would that be alright?”
“No problem. Let’s proceed.”
Following Hofena, we left Euron and headed toward our destination: the Horned Rabbit Forest.
As the name suggested, the Horned Rabbit Forest was where Unicorn Rabbits appeared.
That said, their spawn rate was low, making it difficult to make a living by hunting them specifically. The area was also known for dense growth of medicinal herbs, so it wasn’t uncommon for gatherers to enter with adventurer escorts.
Hofena walked through the forest with practiced ease. As escorts, one of us should normally take the lead, but she said, “I can sense monster presence, so I’ll leave it to you when the time comes”.
After walking through the forest for about two hours without incident, we abruptly came upon an open area; a clearing covered in pale green grass glowing under sunlight.
“We’ll gather herbs here first. Please keep watch.”
So the three of us spread out around Hofena and kept watch. That said, there hadn’t been any sign of monsters since entering the forest. Monsters didn’t typically avoid humans, so there probably really weren’t any nearby in the first place.
Glancing over, I saw Hofena skillfully harvesting herbs. This kind of work likely had techniques beyond a novice’s understanding, so helping didn’t seem easy.
“Is this your first time seeing Holt Grass? It’s used as an ingredient in the potions adventurers use.”
Perhaps noticing my gaze, Hofena smiled.
“It’s also my first time seeing herbs being gathered. Aren’t they cultivated anywhere?”
“I’ve heard that it’s done in the royal capital and some territories. But it doesn’t seem to be very successful.”
“Are they difficult to cultivate?”
“There’s a theory that the soil needs to contain mana. And places with such soil tend to have monsters.”
“I see…”
As I nodded, I noticed Rani looking at me meaningfully. She jerked her chin toward Freynil, so I followed her gaze, and saw Freynil standing there with a somewhat sad expression.
…Why? I wondered, then realized. Maybe she didn’t like me talking with Hofena? Perhaps she saw me as a father figure.
As I hesitated on whether to say something, Rani suddenly began sniffing the air.
“I smell a Unicorn Rabbit. It’s upwind.”
“Really? Hofena-san, what do you want to do?”
When I asked, Hofena stood up and shouldered her pack.
“The Unicorn Rabbit’s horn is the top priority, so let’s head that way.”
With Rani taking the lead, we once again stepped into the forest.
——————
E/N:
I have never eaten rabbit… Wonder what it tastes like?
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments