Ossan Saikyō Chapter 5 — Chain of Encounters | | Part 01
━━━━━━━━━━
Soushi Okuno
Adventurer Level 10
Weapon Skills
【Mace】Lv.15
【Longsword】Lv.8
【Dagger】Lv.4
【Martial Arts】Lv.8
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.11
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.13
【Strength】Lv.16
【Speed】Lv.13
【Surge】Lv.13
【Reflex】Lv.11
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.9
【Hearing】Lv.7
【Scent】Lv.6
【Touch】Lv.6
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.11
【Presence Detection】Lv.9
Mental Skills
【Composure】Lv.7
【Thought Acceleration】Lv.5
【Fury】Lv.2
Special Skills
【Regeneration】Lv.2
【Stability】Lv.3
【Steel Body】Lv.3
【Whiplash】Lv.2 (NEW)
【Poison Resistance】Lv.2 (NEW)
【Might】Lv.2 (NEW)
【Illusion Resistance】Lv.1 (NEW)
【Heavy Burst】Lv.1 (NEW)
Unique Skills
【Bad Luck】Lv.10 (NEW)
━━━━━━━━━━
(E/N: Just looking at Bad Luck Lv.10 is hilarious 🤣)
━━━━━━━━━━
Freynil
Adventurer Level 5
Weapon Skills
【Spear】Lv.3
【Martial Arts】Lv.1
Defense Skills
【Buckler】Lv.1
Physical Skills
【Vitality】Lv.3
【Strength】Lv.2
【Speed】Lv.3
【Surge】Lv.2
【Reflex】Lv.2
Sensory Skills
【Vision】Lv.2
【Hearing】Lv.2
【Scent】Lv.2
【Touch】Lv.2
【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.2
【Presence Detection】Lv.2
Mental Skills
【Courage】Lv.2
【Concentration】Lv.1
Special Skills
【Holy Magic】Lv.2
【Divine Magic】Lv.2
Unique Skills
【Saint's Eye】Lv.1
━━━━━━━━━━
(A/N: Skills are estimates only.)
It had been a week since we returned to the town of Euron, but since I had only stayed here for about a week in the first place, it didn’t really feel nostalgic.
As for Freynil, she didn’t show any particular reaction to arriving somewhere new either.
“Have you been to Euron before, by any chance?”
“Yes, a few times. Though I’ve hardly ever walked around the city like this on my own.”
Freynil didn’t elaborate any further, only deepening the sense that she had some kind of complicated background.
By the time we arrived, it was already evening, but we headed straight to the Adventurer's Guild.
The lobby was packed; more than twenty adventurer parties, with several people lined up at the counter. Yet, as usual, no one stood in front of that blunt receptionist. She was undeniably beautiful, but perhaps her attitude really did put people off.
“Excuse me, I have something to report.”
“Oh, Soushi-san, welcome back. A report?”
“Yes. On our way back from Menage, we encountered undead monsters.”
“Undead? Do you have proof?”
“Yes, this.”
When I showed her the irregular mana stone and staff dropped by the high-ranking skeleton, her eyes narrowed slightly.
…Yeah, this feels like trouble again.
“Please elaborate on the details. This way.”
We followed her into a room in the back, furnished with a large table and several chairs.
As we sat down, the receptionist seemed to notice Freynil for the first time.
“Is this your party member?”
“Yes. We met in Menage. I finally managed to form a party.”
“I see. May I have your name?”
“Yes, my name is Freynil. I’ve been allowed to join Soushi-sama’s party. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
(E/N: Might I repeat, dear readers, Freynil talks in a Noble-like manner, prim, proper and polite.)
Freynil bowed her head, and the receptionist gave me a meaningful glance. It wasn’t accusatory, so it didn’t seem like she was judging me for bringing along a young girl. Maybe she knew something about Freynil.
“Nice to meet you. My name is Mariane.”
So that was her name; Mariane. I felt like I was hearing it for the first time.
After preparing her writing tools, Mariane turned back to me.
“Now then, please give your report.”
“Yes. Yesterday morning, we departed from Menage…”
I explained everything about the undead encounter in detail.
Mariane maintained her usual expressionless face, but she asked pointed questions about specifics, confirming that this was indeed an unusual case.
“This is the mana stone and staff dropped by the upper-tier skeleton. I’d like to sell the mana stone, but if possible, we’d like to use the staff.”
“Based on your account and the shape of the mana stone, it is almost certain that the undead monster was a Lich. In that case, this staff would be the《Mourning Staff》. If you intend to use it, I recommend having it appraised.”
“So there could be something like a curse on it?”
“Very rarely, yes. If you’d like it appraised, we can handle that here. The fee will be 100,000 Rom.”
“Is it safe to assume this staff is quite powerful?”
“I’ve heard it is typically used by mages of C-rank or higher.”
Hmm. Definitely powerful… but the real issue was whether anyone would envy an F-rank adventurer like Freynil having such a weapon.
Adventurers in this world didn’t seem overly rough, and people rarely picked fights. For now, we’d let her use it and deal with problems if they arose.
“Understood. Please proceed with the appraisal. That’s all for my report, is there anything else?”
“One more thing — a Lich is considered a high D-rank, or even C-rank monster. Please be careful not to overexert yourselves.”
Mariane, who was offering me this advice, remained expressionless, as ever. Perhaps her demeanor is actually holding her back (E/N: from expressing her emotions, that is).
◇◆◇
The next morning, when Freynil and I went to the training grounds, there was already someone there; a rare sight.
It was Zeal, the leader of the C-rank party〈Fortuner〉, swinging not a longsword, but a Dark Metal rod.
As we began our usual training, Zeal kept glancing our way. It wasn’t the training itself, he was clearly curious about me being with Freynil.
During a short break, he called out.
“Yo, haven’t seen you around. Been off recruiting party members?”
“I was touring dungeons in Menage. I happened to meet her there.”
“Huh… well, she looks pretty young. Doesn’t seem like the age for Awakening.”
“Yeah. I thought so too, but since I’m an exception myself, I can’t really say.”
“Haha, fair enough. It’s rare, not impossible. I’m Zeal, and you?”
Freynil hesitated for a moment before answering.
“Ah, I’m Freynil. Pleased to make your acquaintance.”
“Polite girl, huh. Freynil… got it. Nice to meet you.”
Zeal was about to return to training when something caught his eye.
He was looking at the《Mourning Staff》in Freynil’s hands. The appraisal had come back clean, so she was already using it.
“Hm? Where’d you get that staff?”
Freynil glanced at me, so I answered instead.
“We ran into a Lich on the way back from Menage. It dropped this.”
“A Lich? You two took it down alone?”
“Yes. It was a bit dangerous.”
“A bit…? That’s not exactly how I’d put it. But I guess if you can take down a King, it’s not that strange. Sorry, our party’s mage wants one of those — if you find somewhere selling it, let me know.”
“So it’s that rare?”
“Yeah. Liches themselves are rare, and the staff usually gets destroyed when you kill one. So yeah, pretty rare.”
“I see.”
“Still, a Lich showing up around here is strange.”
“Don’t they appear wherever there are graveyards?”
Zeal snorted.
“No way. If that were true, no one could visit graves. Undead don’t spawn outside dungeons unless there’s heavy miasma. And Liches especially are special — they don’t just appear normally.”
“…I see.”
Then why had we encountered one?
If it was because of my【Bad Luck】skill, that would be a serious problem…
As I was thinking that, Zeal spoke again, his expression tightening slightly.
“Actually, there’s been a rumor going around… Undead have been appearing in various places lately. And people say they’ve seen suspicious figures nearby.”
“What? You mean someone’s summoning undead?”
“Yeah, sounds sketchy, right? But apparently, people like that have existed for a long time. You might want to be careful around graveyards.”
“Understood. I’ll be careful.”
So, right after returning to Euron, I’d already heard something pretty serious.
At least it wasn’t just my【Bad Luck】causing the Lich encounter… but it sounded like something even worse might be coming.
Ideally, I’d stay out of it entirely.
But somehow, I had a strong feeling my【Bad Luck】wouldn’t let that happen.
If that was the case, there was only one solution.
Get stronger. That’s all.
——————
E/N:
Doesn't the Adventurer's Guild have some kind of locker system to keep weapons safe?
Stay tuned!
——————
——————————
Check out my other translations -
——————————
Comments