Ossan Saikyō Chapter 4 Part 02

“Whoa, isn’t this a Moon Wolf? This is what’s been causing trouble?”


The next morning, when I showed him the Wolf’s corpse, the beastman Gashi exclaimed in surprise.


“Yeah, this is what showed up. So it’s called a Moon Wolf.”


“It’s a rare variant of a Night Wolf. The fur should sell for a good price, but hauling it as-is would be a pain. Soushi-san, can you butcher it?”


“No, I only know how to extract the mana stone…”


“If you want, I can do it. No charge or anything.”


“In that case, could I ask you to?”


Once I did, Gashi began dismantling it with impressive efficiency. It seemed he made a living from that as well. Having a practical skill like that must be especially valuable in a world like this.

While he worked, I called over the village chief, explained what happened, received thanks, and collected the reward.

Apparently wolf meat isn’t entirely inedible, and since protein sources are valuable for the village, I decided to donate it as-is.


“Here you go, you’re lucky, Soushi-san. This one had an orb.”


“An orb?”


What Gashi handed me wasn’t a magic stone, but something like a crystal sphere. It shimmered with rainbow colors, and I could feel some kind of strange power from within it.

Since it was a rare individual, maybe it dropped a special kind of magic stone.


“You don’t know about orbs either? That’s a Skill orb, a valuable item that lets an adventurer acquire a skill when used. You could sell it to the guild for a pretty high price.”


“I see…”


That wasn’t in the guide. But if it grants a skill, I’d rather use it myself than sell it.


“I can use this myself, right?”


“Anything you get from a monster you kill belongs to you. As long as you don’t sell it outside the guild, nobody’s gonna complain.”


“That makes sense. But how do you use it…?”


I tried gripping it tightly. Instantly, I felt something flow into my palm.

Gradually, knowledge of a skill surfaced in my mind. It was called【Whiplash】, a skill that allows movement ignoring inertia. So this was what the Moon Wolf had been using.

That’s an interesting one. Depending on how it’s used, it could be extremely powerful.


“Oh? You used it already?”


“Yeah, looks like I did. I got a good skill.”


“That’s great. Still, taking this thing down solo, you really are strong, Soushi-san.”


“Well… it was just one opponent. In close combat, strength decides everything.”


“Haha, fair enough. Alright, I’ve skinned it, you can take the fur. We’ll be heading out soon, you good?”


“Yeah, let’s hurry and reach Euron by today.”


And so, thanks to some mysterious stroke of luck (or misfortune), I gained a new skill. I handled an unknown enemy calmly, too. Feels like I’m getting stronger at a good pace.

◇◆◇

After leaving the village, we encountered no further trouble, and by evening, we could finally see the town of Euron.

Beyond the road stood a city surrounded by walls, a proper fortified city. From outside, only the rooftops of tall buildings were visible, but they seemed densely packed.

At the center, a particularly tall and grand structure was likely the residence of Viscount Barius, the lord of the land.

Outside the walls, however, there were houses and shacks scattered in a chaotic manner, giving off a clear slum-like atmosphere.

According to Gashi, this area was where the poor and those with criminal records lived, people who weren't allowed into the city. They called it the “Outer District”.

The Viscount enforces strict control, so they rarely cause trouble openly. But behind the scenes… I was warned to stay cautious. Though he added, “Not many idiots would mess with an adventurer anyway”.


“Ahh, finally made it. You really helped us out, Soushi-san.”


“No, no, I was just doing my job.”


“Still, we made it on schedule thanks to you. I’ll make sure you’re properly compensated.”


While chatting like that, we passed through the Outer District and arrived at the city gate. About 40 people were lined up for inspection.

There were clearly adventurer-looking individuals, but since there’s a separate inspection line for adventurers, they entered through a different gate.

By the time I finished asking Gashi about good inns, it was our turn. I showed my adventurer card, and Gashi and Nari showed their merchant's guild cards.

We were let through without any strict checks. Being affiliated with a guild clearly carries a lot of trust.

Euron was far more prosperous than Tolson. We were on the central street, and both sides were lined tightly with houses and shops.

The buildings and signboards were far more refined, and glass windows, a rarity in Tolson, were common here.

The city was far too large to take in at a glance. Without directions, it’d be easy to get lost.

Anyway, we still needed to deliver the wagon to the Merchant's Guild’s warehouse, so I helped with that.

After leaving the main street and walking a bit, we reached a large, plain building about three stories tall, clearly a warehouse.

The large entrance was open, and many merchants and porters were going in and out.

Once we brought the wagon just inside, my job was done.


“Come with me a sec.”


Following Gashi, I was led to what seemed like an office inside the warehouse. After he spoke to someone who looked like the manager, a middle-aged man approached me.


“Hello, I’m Paolo from the Merchant's Guild. I hear you helped one of ours, thank you. You’re an adventurer, correct?”


“Yes, I’m Soushi, E-rank. I happened to pass by and saw Gashi in trouble, so I lent a hand.”


Perhaps because of my polite tone, Paolo looked slightly surprised.


“I see. Normally we’d handle compensation through the Adventurer's Guild, but to avoid complications, would you mind if we treat this as a personal matter? We’ll still pay you appropriately.”


“That’s fine. Let’s say I did it as a favor.”


“Thank you. In that case…”


And so, I received 80,000 Rom. I wasn’t sure if that was high or low, but considering E-rank daily pay for the goblin subjugation was 50,000 Rom, this amount for two days didn’t seem unreasonable.


“I’ve received it. Do you need any receipt for this?”


“No, no, since it’s a personal matter, that won’t be necessary.”


Paolo gave a polite smile, saying that.


“Understood. Then I’ll be going.”


As I turned to leave, Gashi hurried over.


“You really saved us this time. Once you’re settled in town, let’s grab a drink sometime.”


Even if it was just polite talk, having an acquaintance in a new city might be a good thing.

Thinking that, I headed back toward the central street to find an inn.


——————
E/N:

Building connections already, Ossan? You're a true white collar worker!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing