Ossan Saikyō Chapter 1 Part 04

Alright, it’s the morning of my third day in another world.

As usual, I ate breakfast first thing and headed to yesterday’s training spot (temp.).

To start the day, I tried hitting a thick tree with my mace, about half the trunk got gouged out.

There’s no way a human should be able to produce that kind of force.

Thinking that this is the power of an Awakened adventurer, it makes sense why adventurers are made to hunt monsters. Though I still don’t really know how dangerous monsters actually are.

Alright, today I’ll try raising yesterday’s skills by one level each.

So I went through a full routine of training: running, sprinting, jumping, and practice swings.

By a little past noon, I had managed to raise all of yesterday’s skills by one level, except for【Presence Detection】…but they feel like they’re leveling up a bit too easily.

The guide didn’t mention how often skills increase. I should ask a more experienced adventurer sometime, though I don’t know if they’ll actually tell me.

Lastly, I headed deeper into the forest to train【Presence Detection】.

This skill seems to be an extension of the five senses; sight, hearing, smell, and touch, or rather, a unified sense combining them all.

It probably detects subtle environmental changes and allows me to vaguely perceive the location of animals and such.

It feels like a vague awareness of “something is at this distance ahead”.

As I walked through the forest, I focused on sensing small animals and large insects.

Hmm… something is about five meters ahead on the ground. It feels long and thin, probably a snake.

There’s a small animal up in the tree, maybe something like the squirrel I saw yesterday. When I approach, it jumps to another tree and escapes.

Twenty meters ahead, something large… about the size of a dog… a boar, no, a wild dog!?

Before I could even react, it let out a sharp roar;

Gwoah!

And charged at me through the trees.

It looked like a dog, but its body proportions were slightly off. Its upper body was more developed, and the fangs protruding from its mouth curved upward.

If I remember correctly from the guide, that’s a monster called a Boar Wolf.

Climb a tree! Damn it, my legs won’t move!

The Boar Wolf was already right in front of me. I had no choice but to intercept. I raised my buckler and lowered my stance.


GraaAAH!


At the moment of impact, I thrust out my buckler with my left hand and simultaneously jabbed forward with the mace.

There was no technique, I just tried to shove the monster away with everything I had.

A tremendous shock hit the left side of my body.

Thanks to the push, I avoided a direct hit, but I was still blown back about two meters.

My vision spun wildly, but I knew I couldn’t stay down. I got up immediately and sure enough, the Boar Wolf was right there.

Instinctively, I swung the mace at the side of its face.

I felt a heavy impact near the tip, and at the same time, a shriek; 

Bweeii!!

-echoed out.

Looking at it, the area around the Boar Wolf’s eye was gouged out. It seems I landed a lucky hit.

It staggered in place. As it started thrashing wildly, I brought the mace down toward it.

It was hard to land a clean hit on a moving target. But with each swing of the mace, I felt my mind cooling down.

That’s right. Stay calm, stay calm… watch its movements carefully. Don’t aim for the vital point right away. Start with the legs.

It was a strange feeling. I had never even hit a living creature before, and yet, in a situation like this, I was this calm.

I swung the mace horizontally. The Boar Wolf’s front leg shattered.

As it collapsed, I brought the mace down on its head. Its whole body twitched for a moment, then it went completely still, like its power had been cut off.


“Did… I win?”


I dropped to one knee and used the mace like a cane to support myself.

The Boar Wolf didn’t move at all. It seemed I had definitely defeated it.


“I thought monsters didn’t appear around here…”


That’s what the guide said, monsters only appear in dungeons in this area. That’s why I had been training here.


“Ugh… that hurts… this is bad.”


The outer side of my left thigh had been deeply torn. It must have been from its fangs during the charge.

I took out my water flask and washed the wound.


“Right… I can use a potion…”


That morning, I had bought two potions, just like the young man advised.

I took one out, opened it, and poured the contents onto the wound; that’s how the shopkeeper told me to use it.


“This stings…”


I wondered how effective it really was, but as I watched, the wound began to close as if in reverse playback. It was like a magical medicine. Within a minute, everything except the tear in my slacks had completely healed.


“Whew… that saved me.”


I plopped down onto the ground.

Looking at it again, the Boar Wolf was pretty big. About the size of a large dog. The fact that I managed to fight and win against something like that…


“Now then… if you kill a monster outside a dungeon, you have to bring it back, right?”


I slowly recalled what I was supposed to do next.

When monsters are defeated inside a dungeon, they disappear, or rather, are absorbed by the dungeon, leaving behind only some materials.

But outside a dungeon; in game terms, in the “field”, the entire corpse remains.

Those corpses have various uses, but that also means you have to transport them.

After resting for about five minutes, I stood up and tried lifting the Boar Wolf.

It looked like it weighed close to 100 kilograms, but I barely felt the weight. That must be thanks to my enhanced body from Awakening and skills like【Strength】.


“Guess this will be my first job as an adventurer.”


Carrying it, I began walking back toward the town of Torson.

◇◆◇

When I entered the Adventurer’s Guild carrying the Boar Wolf, the receptionist widened her eyes and guided me to a place behind the guild called the dismantling area.

People in town also looked shocked when they saw me, so it seems monsters appearing in the field is indeed rare around here.

Then why is there a dismantling area…? When I asked the receptionist, she said, “It’s not that they never appear”, so apparently I was just unlucky.


“Um, you’re Mr. Okuno, right? Our staff will handle the dismantling, so please wait a moment. Here is your number tag, please don’t lose it.”


After placing the Boar Wolf on the dismantling table, the receptionist handed me a wooden tag as she spoke.


“Excuse me, could you tell me how this catch will be handled?”


“Ah, of course. Our staff will dismantle this ‘Boar Wolf’. It has many usable parts, so we’ll evaluate each material and determine a price, then purchase it from you based on that amount. We’ll also deduct a portion for repayment of your previous loan.”


“I see. Roughly how much would it be?”


“Hmm… let’s see… a Boar Wolf usually goes for about 700,000 Rom.”


“That’s quite a lot.”


The loan I borrowed the other day was 300,000 Rom (Rom being the currency here). It feels roughly equivalent to Japanese yen.

I don’t know how much a wild boar would sell for in Japan, but 700,000 doesn’t sound bad.


“Monsters appearing outside dungeons are really rare around here. Especially meat from outside dungeons; it’s treated as something special.”


“Oh? Does it taste different?”


“Apparently. I’ve only ever eaten dungeon-sourced meat, so I wouldn’t know.”


The receptionist gave a wry smile. I see, even in this world, you can’t escape inequality. It seems this country has a monarchic, class-based society.


“Still, Mr. Okuno, this is only your third day as an adventurer, right? And you hunted a Boar Wolf alone? That’s impressive. Were you perhaps a soldier somewhere before?”


“Huh? No, just a… how should I say, a merchant, I guess. At least, I had nothing to do with fighting.”


“Really? Then you might be well-suited to being an adventurer. Do your best.”


“Thank you. I’ll wait while reviewing the adventurer guide until the dismantling is done.”


After thanking the receptionist, I headed to the reference room that adventurers apparently rarely use.

◇◆◇

In the end, I received 450,000 Rom and returned to the inn. The amount was lower because I repaid the entire loan.

On the way back, I restocked potions and bought a replacement pair of pants for my torn slacks. The clothing shop bought my slacks at a fairly high price, saying the fabric was unusual.

Compared to the materials in this world, modern Japanese fabric must seem quite valuable.

Also, since I’ll be going to the dungeon tomorrow, I decided to get some armor. I stopped by an armor shop and ordered a chest piece, gauntlets, and greaves.

Since it’s just fitting adjustments, they said it would be ready by tomorrow morning.

Now then, as I stretched out on the bed, something caught my attention.

Compared to this morning, it felt like my physical abilities had improved by one level.

I felt it when I was carrying the Boar Wolf, but it seems something changed before and after the battle.


“Like leveling up?”


The guide did say, “Adventurers grow stronger through battle”, but I thought that referred to skills. Maybe the body itself also gets enhanced in other ways.

It seems Awakening grants humans various benefits. If I keep getting stronger along with my skills, I might eventually become something like a superhuman.

Even I, just an F-rank, managed to defeat that monster one-on-one. Thinking about that, D-rank adventurers in this town might already be beyond human.

Come to think of it, adventurers are severely punished if they use their power without just cause to harm others. That makes sense; if someone with this kind of power turned to crime, it would be disastrous.

No, thinking about it the other way, there are bound to be people who try to misuse it. I’ll have to stay cautious about that.

Anyway, based on today’s training and battle, the skills I likely gained are as follows:


━━━━━━━━━━

 Adventurer Level 2


 Weapon Skills

  【Mace】Lv.3
  【Dagger】Lv.2

 Defense Skills

  【Buckler】Lv.2

 Physical Skills

  【Vitality】Lv.3
  【Strength】Lv.3
  【Speed】Lv.3  
  【Surge】Lv.3
  【Reflex】Lv.3

 Sensory Skills

  【Vision】Lv.2
  【Hearing】Lv.2
  【Scent】Lv.2
  【Touch】Lv.2  
  【Dynamic Acuity】Lv.2
  【Presence Detection】Lv.3

 Mental Skills

  【Composure】Lv.1

━━━━━━━━━━


I’m assuming my level increased from the fight with the Boar Wolf.

The skills likely increased by one each through training.

That sudden calmness during battle was probably a skill as well. For now, I’ll assume it’s a skill called【Composure】.

Thinking about it like this, it almost feels like I’m still in some kind of strange dream.

But the pain from the wound during the battle with the Boar Wolf and the sensation of striking it; those insist that this is no illusion.

They say you never know what might happen in life, but not many people end up in something this incomprehensible.


——————
E/N:

Boar Wolf… just slapped two animals into one, I wonder if it looks like Swole Doge 🤣!

Stay tuned!

——————

——————————
Check out my other translations -



——————————


Previous       Table of Contents       Next

Comments

SFcipher said…
Thanks for the chapter.
Daisuke said…
Thank you for reading! 🙏🏻

Popular posts from this blog

It Seems the Convenience Store Clerk Ossan That Got Dragged Into the Teleportation of an Entire Class Will Make Use of the Leftover Skills the Heroes Didn’t Want and Become the Strongest

Soul Devourer of Infinite Growth ~ Stealing Physical Stats and Skills from Monsters and Hunters to Ultimately Slay a God Through Infinite Growth ~

Konbini Ossan Volume 1 Chapter 25 – Herb Gathering and Skill Imbuing